Dino Saga 071118 _ Other Rear Brake | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 071118 _ Other Rear Brake

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Nov 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Nov 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 071118 _ Other Rear Brake

Was going my usual 80 on 101 heading towards Montecito. Just keeping up with traffic. Came around a corner and found a sea of red brake lights. Punched the brakes hard and had no trouble slowing down but was agonizing over the guy in back of me. He was pretty close but he had brakes too so all was fine. Another one of those things where some fool slows to 30 on the freeway for no good reason and puts a permanent speed glitch in the roadway. A ½ mile of 30 and back up to 80. No reason in the world for everyone to slow but we all did. And I did hit the brakes hard.

Ran a few errands and heard brake squeal when parking. Didn’t think much of it until coming into my driveway back home. Car would not roll down the little slope of the parking lot. Had to use power. Parked and walked around the car. All wheels looked good. As I was standing there the center cap of the left rear wheel fell off and lay down on the ground. Touched the wheel and it was HOT. The plastic of the Gotti cap had softened and the springy fingers had lost their spring. Had to be a stuck caliper. Damn. Let the car sit for a couple of hours and rolled car a few feet. All cool and all free now. No problem at all. But a similar condition had happened before on the right side. Had to see if it was the same cause as years ago.

Jacked car up and pulled the wheel. Disk had been HOT. Slight galling in an inch wide band on the outside surface. Not so much on the inside surface. Would clean itself up nicely. Hard pads were all OK. Lots of thickness left. Pulled them just to make sure nothing funny had happened in the middle of the pads. Now as to why?

A couple of years ago I wrote a Saga about some right rear caliper problems that turned out to be a bad brake hose. I bought two hoses back then with the intent of changing both rear hoses. The right one came loose easily and after repairing and testing I started on the left side. Couldn’t get the hose loose at the chassis end with the wrenches I had. Hose looked pretty good at that time. Left the old hose with the idea of fixing it the next time the car was on a rack in a shop with more tools. One thing led to another and the new hose slid deeper and deeper toward the back of the box. Never got it changed for the old one during the dozens of opportunities with the two engine rebuilds. Out of sight, out of mind. Took some pictures of the left hose now. Bubbles and bulges and scrapes and kinks. Just like the right one was long ago. Take a look back then.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81785&highlight=051106

No joyriding in the mountains today. Cloudy anyway. Monday I’ll go and have the hose changed. I will go easy on the brakes and all should be OK. Went down to the market and back to check. Caliper releases fine with light pressure. Brake line replacement should be an hour or so including bleeding. Will cut the hose open to see if internals are same as last time. I am betting on it. Will let you know. Sometimes you get smarter older. Sometimes you just get older.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. gblue

gblue Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    Maui Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gregg Blue
    John.....looks like it needed a triple bypass or a stint....thanks for the info as always

gegg blue

206 gt 00350

3. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Since the wheel was very hot at this event,
    are you concerned about the integrity of the wheel with cracks and tiring?

4. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #4 John Corbani, Nov 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It was a 1 hour job. I could not get it apart 7 years ago and it was harder yesterday. 15 minutes should have been the rule. At any rate, the new hose is now in and all is good. No damage to anything. Disk got hot and center casting of wheel got hot but not too bad out by the tire. No sizzle when touched with a wet finger. Cut the old hose apart and what a mess. Not possible to push a 1/16" wire more than 1/2" in. Bore was full of little pieces of rubber and mud.
    Guys at MasterCraft motors (Jack Bianchi's old shop) flushed the lines, bled the calipers, and all is fine now. Wish I had gotten smarter sooner. Or remembered what I had already learned.
    John