F355 rattle hunt | FerrariChat

F355 rattle hunt

Discussion in '348/355' started by sandersja, Nov 19, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    I hate rattles so I spent a bit of quality time under the car looking for sources. The time was worthwhile in that I stamped out nearly all of them.

FYI - most of my rattles were due to incompletely clamped splash shields in the rear wheel wells and some loose bolts on the underside diffuser trays. I always hate it when manufacturers use flakey screws-and-speednuts to bolt up these lightweight splash panels. Some either backed out due to vibration or were stripped/not replaced during a previous service. Look for these easy fixes next time you have the wheels off.

It was also easy to take any rattling out of the muffler heat shield by wedging small aluminum shims between the retaining bands and the shield to take out any slack.

I may indeed actually have a rattling exhaust bypass valve, but it is much easier to live with now that the other rattle sources are gone.

2. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I'm with you---I hate sqeaks, squaks and rattles driving down the road. I have one in the police car coming from the dash that I can not pinpoint--very aggravating---I turn on the siren everywhere I go so I don't hear it---:D

3. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Throw on a Tubi or Capristo, solves most rattle problems :D

4. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    LOL..................You rule 285!!!.......:p :p

5. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Man, that's not your dash...that's Rodney King!

Let him out!

(can't we all just get along?!)