Ricardo Rodríguez | FerrariChat

Ricardo Rodríguez

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by rodolfo, Nov 1, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rodolfo

rodolfo Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2007
    Mexico
    #1 rodolfo, Nov 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    45 Years ago...

Ricardo Rodríguez (14 February 1942, Mexico City - 1 November 1962, Magdalena Mixhuca Circuit, Mexico City [1]) was a Mexican racing driver who competed in the 1961 and 1962 Formula One seasons. His elder brother, Pedro, was also a noted racing driver who had much success in sports car racing and Formula One.

Rodríguez was a child cycling champion who switched to motorcycles in domestic competition from the age of 14. He won several national motorcycle titles, before taking up saloon car racing in his own Fiat Topolino. In 1957 he made his international debut at Riverside, beating all comers in the under 1.5 litre class in a Porsche RS. He then won his class in a Porsche Spyder in the Nassau Tourist Trophy. He often raced for the North American Racing Team (NART) with his brother Pedro, although he would also enter cars under his father's name. He was refused an entry at Le Mans in 1956, but went back in 1959 to race an OSCA in the 750cc. class. In the 1960 24 Hours of Le Mans he partnered André Pilette to second place; at 18 years of age, the youngest ever to stand on the podium at Le Mans.

Rodríguez was given a guest drive by Ferrari for the 1961 Italian Grand Prix, qualifying a surprise second. In the race he exchanged the lead with Phil Hill and Richie Ginther many times, until a fuel pump failure ended his race. He was the youngest ever F1 driver at that time. 1962 saw a full works drive with Ferrari, who used him spraringly considering his age and rough edges. Whenever used, Rodríguez shone, taking second at the Pau Grand Prix, fourth at the Belgian Grand Prix and sixth at the German Grand Prix in a tough year in Formula One for Ferrari. He also won the Targa Florio with Olivier Gendebien and Willy Mairesse.

Rodríguez was considered a potential future champion already, but was left without a drive when Ferrari opted not to enter the non-Championship 1962 Mexican Grand Prix. He signed to drive Rob Walker's Lotus, but died during the first day of practice, when he inexplicably failed to brake for the fearsome Peraltada corner, and entered the banked turn far too fast, hitting the barriers at the exit. He was 20 years old and his death provoked national mourning in Mexico

Catellano picture taken from the More Old Photos thread Ferrari Chat
    ( http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135496217&postcount=46 )
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

from the days when drivers were heroes! he and pedro drove fearlessly and were cut of a different cloth than the cry babbies many worship today.

3. jgcferrari

jgcferrari Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 21, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jose
    IMHO 2 of the best drivers of their era, it is a shame that their careers ended to early. RIP

4. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Well put

5. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    True.

The flip side of course is that they didn't call it the "Cruel Sport" back in the day for nothing. Both died in racecars. Having your heroes die sucks.

Pedro was quite the talent without question (what he did in a 917 is jaw dropping). Ricardo.... well, sorta hard to really judge as he didn't last long enough. Sure he was very quick, but he was also known to be extremely wild and he took chances that made others shake their heads. Reminds me of Stefan Bellof.

To me, the truly great ones were those who were blistering fast in all conditions and who DID NOT crash or take crazy chances. Drivers who were simply head and shoulders above the competition and didn't have to resort to taking such chances. Fangio stands out as the best example.

Terry

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    They whined back then too. One day Pedro came into the pits complaining that his car was overheating. My friend stuck a screw driver through the water temperature gauge and said:

"Now it's not. Get out there and Drive you Pussey"

7. rodolfo

rodolfo Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2007
    Mexico
    Can you get me more info on that race?
    where?
    when?
    what drive?
    any more news is good

8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Looks like Spa, 1961.

Jack

9. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    I met a frenchman who lived in Mexico and knew Pedro and Ricardo's father. According to him, the father was a well-placed police official and the dynamics of his relationship with the sons would make for an interesting book--or movie--if half of what he recounted is true.

10. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    A comprehensive dual biography of Pedro and Ricardo was published last year, but it's taking forever for the English version to come out.

Jack

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Different sort of whining, and also proves that Pedro was no car destroyer. The current bunch of pusseys whine when their feet cushion is not in the right place when they GET OUT OF THE CAR ...

All the fluff (and $ wasting) around motorsport nowadays sickens me ... all you need is a tool box, a tent and a fncken fast car ... and a little fuel!.
    Pete

12. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    1 out of the 10 ...Ferrari 275 NART Spider was originally owned by them.

it seems like a totally different era; when race drives actually risked their lives for the sake of speed and competition.

were they TOO fast or just TOO immature ?

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    They raced back then to be the fastest ...

This is also why racing was more fair, because they wanted to be the fastest not just to win. Thus if they cheated they knew deep down that they were not really the fastest ... now ofcourse many appear to race for the wrong reasons (ie. money, fame) and winning at all costs is the way they play. Sad, just sad :(.
    Pete

14. rodolfo

rodolfo Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2007
    Mexico
    They "Lived to race and they Raced to live". Racing was life in those days, not the overprotected life racers today like to live. And I don´t mean overprotected cars, just the lifestyle that they portray nowadays.

Long live Ricardo...tou are surely missed CHAMACO DE ORO

15. rodolfo

rodolfo Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2007
    Mexico

Can you get me more info on that race?
    where?
    when?
    what drive?
    any more news is good

16. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Can you post details (name, publisher, author)? I'd like to get a copy.

Alberto

17. rodolfo

rodolfo Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2007
    Mexico
    Alberto if you are in San Diego, Ca. go to Tijuana and they should have it at Sanborn´s, thats the only place that you can find it. Or visit the web page...

price like 60 USD, it is a big format book. "Los Hermanos Rodriguez" Author Carlos Jalife.

18. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Amazon U.K. also has the book. Dalton is supposed to be publishing the English version, but they aren't exactly a fountain of information...the last time I checked it wasn't even possible to pre-order the book in English.

Jack

19. rodolfo

rodolfo Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2007
    Mexico
    #19 rodolfo, Nov 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
  21. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Gracias Rodolfo.

22. Ferrari250GTO

Ferrari250GTO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    Philadelphia PA
    :)

23. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Got the book last week. Very detailed account of their lives. Very nice book, lots and lots of pictures. Very much worth having.

Alberto

24. 3406-kris

3406-kris Rookie

Sep 7, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Kris Kincaid
    I got the book 6 months ago or so. I ordered it online from Sanbornes. I think it was $52 delivered to my door in Las Vegas, what a bargain!! Even if you don't read/understand Spanish, it's still a must have book just with the photos alone. :)

25. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006