Daily driver for $50k | FerrariChat

Daily driver for $50k

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by CRG125, Nov 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Alright everyone, I need your help. I am really confused on what car to get as my daily driver. I do not want to spend more than $50k. So here is what I am looking at so far.

1. 335i coupe
    2. Audi S5(50k sticker with no options)
    3. New Mitsubishi EVO X( 39K with no options)
    4. Audi S4

Any other suggestions would be great. I currently own an 04 E500 and a 997 turbo. The E class they are changing late next year. I need a car in the next 2 months. Your help would be much appreciated.

2. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    50K can buy near anything and should be ample to get a nice daily driver.

I would get a Jaguar XJR (as I think 50k is a bit light for a Maser QP).

-dsd

3. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Do you want brand new? I may have misread?

-dsd

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I would test drive them all. I own a 335 coupe, and love it. Had it since March 1st.

I would test drive them all though. I think the S5 and S4 look great, especially their interiors.

Never been a fan of the Evo's, but the people that have them seem to love them.

Take your time and drive each car at least twice, then decide.

Good luck.

5. Skiutah

Skiutah Karting

Jan 31, 2006
    Park City / DC
    Full Name:
    Matthew Ainsley
    Are you looking for an AWD car? 4 door?

6. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    New

7. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Doesn't really matter as long as it has 4 seats.

8. Razzer92

Razzer92 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2006
    maybe a used lotus elise? if possible for around that price.

9. caymanslover

caymanslover Karting

Dec 16, 2005
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Do you need more than 2 person carrying capacity? If in the market for a sedan then BMW3 series or Audi 4 series. If it is for personal transportation and amusement while you commute then a Porsche Cayman (stripped or mildly optioned) would be my choice!

10. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    As a daily driver??

If you don't need the back seat, a C6 Corvette would be fun to drive, but possibly a bit redundant with the 997 in the garage.

The new C-class might be worth consideration.

The GS from Lexus?

11. FriscoRays

FriscoRays Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2005
    I guess this would rule out the Elise and Corvette suggestions (heck the Elise barely has two seats).

12. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I drove the C350 and 335i and like them both. They really helped the look of the C-class, and the 7 speed auto coupled with the 350 engine is quick. I had a couple of average Benz's, an E-500 and S-430 that had odd electronic and ac quirks. I think I would go the 335i. Very torquey engine coupled with that great BMW steering feel. I am doing the same search in the under $60k range in the Texas section, and I think I may go the 335 convertible.

13. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    I like the new S5. I know its not quite the handler of the Bimmer but its a new design thats quite attractive. I think they run closer to 60 though(50 if you can find one would be great) so the 335 coupe is a winner too..at 44 ..

I think the new Evo with the DSG tranny is 35 g's but the introduction has been delayed due to some development issues.. I hear its a great vehicle but I'd be hard pressed to NOT get the car without the DSG.

JMO and good luck..

The Audi's s5 pretty sharp looking. If you could swing it go that route..

I believe the S4 is getting revamped shortly as well. You could probably get a hell of a deal on it if you don't mind old styling.

If you don't need a manual I just bought a 2008 AWD CTS 304 hp sports suspension for just under 40. Its a hell of a car. Not quite as sporting as those you mentioned but a great vehicle as far as I could tell.

14. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    The Audi S5 is hot, not sure about availability in 2 months though. As a complete wildcard-- the Volvo S80 V8, very different but family friendly. I also like the Lexus IS (yes, I did just admit to that).

I like new cars and everything but a certified pre-owned is such a better deal as the depreciation on all these cars is a lot, so I still recommend the Jag-- style over substance :)

-dsd

15. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Both the upcoming EVO X and STi can be bought for less than $40k giving you $10k left over for whatever...

16. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Infiniti G37!

Beautiful car, lots of power, good warranty, four real seats, excellent service, and right in your price range.

I think it's 330 horsepower and fully optioned under $45k. And there are a couple useless options so you could cut a couple grand off of that too.

Also they just hit the streets so not that many folks have them. Not so bland as the BMW or Audis, in my opinion. And for a daily driver I don't think you want an EVO with no options (even with options) as it wouldn't be that comfortable of a car, and it's pretty ugly in my opinion. And build quality / reliability with a Mitsubishi is sub-par at best.

17. TrentS

TrentS Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2005
    South Florida
    As a daily driver? Are you insane? :rolleyes:

Vivek, go with a 335i... Great car, perfect daily driver. I love mine.

18. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    the s5 is the best bang for the buck..you get speed, comfort, and class

19. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    335i would be my choice. Its very quick and has gobs of torque. Basically as fast as the E46 M3 but much more refined. You can get 4 seats and 2 or 4 doors. You know the 535 is also very nice but probably closer to $60K. The Audi's are nice but aren't as sporty as the Bimmers IMHO. They do have slightly better interiors tho. I recently drove a 535 and I was very impressed - with the interior and the drive.. All the technology you want.

20. Dice996C4S

Dice996C4S Karting

May 7, 2006
    Cerritos, CA
    with that price, you can get an 01 Porsche 996 Turbo.. Very fast, stable and a good DD.

21. AKS

AKS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Sin City
    +1 I saw one out here in person last week and I really liked what I saw. It might make me wait another year to pick up a new car ( to save a bit more for it) so I can pick one up.

22. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Lexus.

Best bang for the buck, and the service is the best in the Car Business

23. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I was with BMW for 17 years before going to Ferrari of Dallas and then to an unnamed Audi store. If you cannot go an M3 you really should drive the S4. Someone said the S4 is not as sporty as the 335i. I beg to differ. I have driven every BMW there is or was just about and only the M5 or M3 will hold with the S4. Power, handling, Quattro and refinement would make me go that way even though I favor the BMW lineup in totality better.

I have owned probably 15 Bimmers over the years and still have a 1986 325 with over 300k miles on it that is my daily driver. It needs some cosmetic work to bring it back up but has never had the head off and still gets over 28 mph on the road.

The S4 is my vote. Just don't hope for a lot of resale. Audi is a great car, especially the A6, but the resale still suffers.

24. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Lightly used E55AMG....mod it later with a Kleeman Stage II and you've got a 600hp sleeper for about 55k.

25. Mike J

Mike J Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Ship Bottom, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I would at least test drive an '08 CTS.