308/328 buying recommendation | FerrariChat

308/328 buying recommendation

Discussion in '308/328' started by firedude308QV, Nov 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. firedude308QV

firedude308QV Karting

Nov 22, 2007
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill Scott
    I have been looking to purchase either a 308 or 328. I have been doing some research for about 6 months now. I would like to be around $35000.00. Are there any particular years or models to avoid? I know some of the early fuel injected models were very underpowered due to emission regulations. Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks, Bill

2. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    With a budget of $35,000, I would go for a 1985 308 QV. You should be able to get a nice one with all of its tools, etc. and full history. A 328 in that price range will be worn out instead of in and have deficiencies.

3. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Is that $35K PLUS an extra $5-10K in reserve for maintanence issues, or is the total budget $35K?????
    If you've done your research, then you know that these are 2 completely different scenarios, as in the difference between an 80GTSi and an 84/85 QV....

JIM

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Get a carbed 308GTB, best sound and power.

5. firedude308QV

firedude308QV Karting

Nov 22, 2007
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill Scott
    I want to spend $35000 on the car with around $7500 for repairs/maintenance. I am trying to narrow the year and model down. Is around 1985 realisitic? I know I want a convert or targa top here in Florida. How reliable are the early fuel injected cars? I have read several different post for days now. I know everyone has their own opinion, but all is usefull and appreciated.

6. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    I'm very happy with my 85qv,I'm saving for a 77-78 now,so I'll have both of two worlds

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

You aren't goimg to find a 328 for 35K so I would simply scratch that off my list for good. All injected 308's are ultra-reliable if maintained properly AND DRIVEN. My 84 has over 100,000 miles on it and it has had one or two things done to it but nothing that any car that is 23 years old wouldn't need anyway.

35K is really going to keep you out of the QV's also. 80-82 308's are just as good and below 60-70 mph you will not tell any real difference. Top speed is the same (who goes there anyway?) and 0-60 is no different, depending on who is driving and how bad you want to be on your clutch. It's the 60-100 that sets the QV's apart from the 2V's but even that isn't saying much. My mother's cadillac will smoke my QV to 100 so I'm not even bragging about that point.

For 35K you can most likely find a nice 2V injected 308 and if you really want one, you will be happy with that car. The injection system is dependable and so basic that it is shared with the 77 VW Rabbit. I have put about 300K on Bosch K Jetronics over 22 years among 5 different cars (I still have all of them) and I have never had a single fuel system problem. Ever.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with for yourself.

8. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    i think you are alittle low for 35K for a car that can run right out of the gate. You may have to spend some coin early on depending on your driving habbits or application on this car.

Personally, i would suggest buy the best you can afford and find....if you cant make that budget, then wait and save more for a better car. If you get into a car too cheap, it most likely will cost you alot more by the time your done if you would have just bought better upfront. No such thing as a free ride.

My advice would be, see 3 cars that are listed at 40K and then compare everything, interior, paint, service, and quality of the car all around. It will give you a good idea of what to expect. But please, go see these cars in person with someone that has an eye for these cars, dont look at pics from 10 feet away to help you decide.

Good luck !

PS....Welcome to Fchat !!

9. Paul308

Paul308 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2006
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Keep looking for a well cared for 84-85 QV. It will be worth the extra money and you'll be happiest with one of those. I have an 85 and love it to death. I personally would still avoid the 80-82 cars but any 308 would be fun. My first choice would be the 84-85 QV, then perhaps an 83 QV, then a 78-79 GTS. I'm a sucker for the targas. :)

Paul

10. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    There's a GTSi "looker" at the top of the V8 section in our own FerrariAds.

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    If nothing else, always remember - if you can't afford a good Ferrari, you REALLY can't afford a bad one.

12. Jbryant

Jbryant Karting

Sep 23, 2006
    California City
    Full Name:
    Jeff Bryant
    This is a fact...

I love my 1981 308GTSi and it has been a real blast to drive. For $35,000 you should be able to get a 80-82 car in fantastic shape.

13. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    I agree with paul308,I've waited for a year or two for a 85qv and found mine five weeks ago,believe it or not for less than 37k, and its got new interior,paint and had the belts(maj)done 9k miles ago or three years ago so if your paitent,look ever day and stick to what you want you'll, find that car its out there for what you want to spend so I disgree with what dr tommy says about you not getting in to a qv,money is tight and the rich are letting go of their toys so you can enjoy them, thats just my thoughts

14. Hessian

Hessian Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan S.
    I think ~35K is enough for a good QV if the OP is OK with "high" mileage. Heck, I almost bought an '85 QV in this price range (and I'm still not convinced that the market for good drivers has moved that much in a year), but it was scooped out from under by a buyer who made a hard offer with no PPI (I told the seller he should take it, because I would demand a PPI). For what it's worth, I then decided to take the advice offered here and elsewhere to spend a bit more up front and bought a 328 for a bit more.

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    When I bought my 84 308 ten years ago it had 57,000 miles.

DO NOT pay "extra" for one that has 14,000 showing.

16. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Agreed 1000%!

:)

Greg

77 GTB

17. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Originally Posted by Newman
    Get a carbed 308GTB, best sound and power.

Ditto

Paul

77 GTB

18. Bruce McKinney

Bruce McKinney Karting

Jan 15, 2004
    Tigard, OR
    Full Name:
    Bruce McKinney
    Firedude....

I will go along with the general concensus on the 328. With a budget of $35K you will be searching a long long long time to find a decent car without issues in that price range - so you can scratch it off your list.

You should be able to find a decent QV in that price range. However, the best "bang for your buck" will be a 2V 308. Since these cars have always received a bad rap for being "underpowered", their selling price will usually reflect this and will be a bit cheaper. However, I guess you have to ask yourself is the "extra bit of HP" that you will get out of a carbed car or QV worth the extra money you will have to spend.

I own an 81 2V and could not be happier. I purchased it 10 years ago for $23K. Cosemetically it was stunning. It needed some engine work because of previous owners neglect - but actually ran really well even with a split exhaust valve #4. I have brought this car back to be mechanically sound. It had 56K miles on it when I bought it and am just about to turn 100K on the car. I have NEVER had any fuel injection issues and, in fact, the car has never left me stranded. The only two times it had to be flat bedded to my mechanic, she decided to break down in my driveway (I guess she likes me too). Both times were cooling related issues - broken hose and the second was a stuck thermostat.

Don't discount a 2V car should a nice one come along. In fact, I think your inventory of really well documented 2V 308's will be a bit stronger than a QV or carbed car in your budget range. I think you will find after a test drive these cars are not the "pigs" that many people make them out to be.

What ever you decide on, get a PPI on the car and the owner should be able to hand you a boat load of maintenance receipts. Do NOT pay extra for a "low milage" car as the odometers are too easy to roll back on these cars. Check the maintenance receipts for consistancy. I would HIGHLY recommend buying a car from a private party as you will (more than likely) be buying from an F-car enthusiast.

Good Luck

19. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    I agree with you on that tommy,my car had 52k and I wanted to be sure it was a driver and had services along the way when they were due,a low mileage car would be scary,these cars are ment to be driven,and well cared for,and stay away from low miles but have worn out seats,why?did they just get behind the wheel everyday in the garage and never drove it

20. firedude308QV

firedude308QV Karting

Nov 22, 2007
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill Scott
    Thanks for all the great feedback. I realize you either pay alittle more up front or alot more later. So it appears I am in the ballpark for a 308 around $35000. The only thing I really want is a GTS model. Alos, a QV would be my first choice. Where are the best places to find a quality car? Ebay is not my first choice. Thanks again for the info.

21. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    I thought the same thing about e-bay,but I found mine on e-bay,they were taking offers only,not bidding,for six weeks I worked with the owner,the thing was he was only 30 min. from me so I went to look at it many times and got a ppi then worked on the offers again,red wasn't my first color but was told here on ferrari-chat it will sell faster if and when I'm ready to sell,I don't think thats going to be anytime soon,having to much fun with and driving it,good luck!

22. MREUS

MREUS Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    +1
    I found mine on eBay too. And of course I got a PPI done BEFORE I bought it:)

23. Ackmann

Ackmann Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Salem Oregon
    Full Name:
    Wayne Ackermann
    Ron Tonkin Ferrari has a nice 1982 GTSi. I'm shopping for one as well and if I was ready to pull the trigger I wouldn't be telling you about this one. (new house under construction). Anyways, Ron Tonkin is a very reputable Ferrari dealer. They just did the MAjor Belt and Valve adjust on this one. Saw it a few days ago when I stopped by to by some toys for my son at Christmas. They currently have it listed on EBAY but they also told me they were asking 34K (us) when I was there. Seriously, I plan on buying something in next 6 months and that car was in condition, miles and comfort in service history that I will be requiring. I still wonder what showing up with 30K cash would do. Oh well, cant mess with my finances until house is done.

Good Luck

FYI: Tonkin (877) 840-7088