Bonds Next? | FerrariChat

Bonds Next?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Blackbird4life, Oct 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Blackbird4life

Blackbird4life Formula 3

Jul 8, 2005
    With Marion Jones giving up her gold medals due to using steriods, do you think Bonds will be next?

2. dadof3

dadof3 Rookie

Sep 1, 2007
    Not a chance. Marion couldn´t win a race after the allegations. Bonds on the other hand is still a dominant player. He has no decline in his production other than playing less games due to his age and pitchers scared to pitch to him.

3. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    what do you expect barry to do? give up his bats? turn in his mvp awards? it'll never happen. let's just hope no one signs him this offseason, but then again, no al team is probably going to pass up that type of dh, even with the commanding 10 mil a year salary he'll probably require.

4. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    With his indictment yesterday on perjury charges, and obstruction of justice, I think his chances of getting in the Hall of Fame are over.

5. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would expect this legal process to take quite some time. No team is likely to touch Bonds with all of this going on, effectively ending his career.

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Exactly. He is 43, past his prime, and is more of a liability than an asset. This court order will take at least 1 year. He won't be able to balance playing and court appearances. Keep in mind when Jason Giambi was talking to the Feds this past year. He really didn't play much. Even though he dealt with BALCO, his forthcoming will save his reputation in the long run. The Yankees were patient with him and it proved to be beneficial.

Barry on the otherhand, will NEVER give up anything. He is such an egotistic ****** that he has come to believe his own lies. Whether he gets 1 year or 30 years in prison, he will never give up any of his awards, bats, balls, etc. and will never go into the Hall of Fame.

The reason why Barry hasn't tested positive for steriods is because the stuff coming out of BALCO was formulated in such a way that test results would come up negative. Not to mention that his trainer took the fall for him when this first came to light. Now that he has had 1 year to reflect and collect his thoughts, he's realized that no arrogant ****** should go off scratch-free when the trainer had to take the fall. Combine self reflection in a detention center and incentives from the Feds and the trainer has become a rat. The government wouldn't make the effort several years later to go after Barry if they didn't feel they had anything less than conclusive evidence.

But back to acquiring Barry as a DH. If I was an owner or manager, I wouldn't want to have to deal with team morale and reputation being on the line just for some idiot who feels the need to stroke his own ego. He singlehanded ruined the clubhouse morale for the Giants. The legal commitments, legal ramifications, and public ramifications against Bonds will scare any team away. Even if he returns after 1 year off, he will be 45 years old and STILL be a morale killer. That means being 45 years old, took one year off, and now needs to return to the best shape possible in order to produce. He won't be able to do that. And this is presuming he is only losing one year! Most likely, it could easily be 2 years. 1 for the legal process and 1 for jail time. This doesn't even bring up the notion of banning him from baseball. The NFL does a great job on keeping players off the field because of substance abuse. It's about time the MLB starts enforcing like the NFL.

The man holds INDIVIDUAL records. NOTHING about him is a team player. Even DH's need to be a team player. If his only hits are HRs, then he's not effective. The key to a DH is to have a player who can drive in runs or get on base. I would much rather have a player who consistently gets doubles and singles with runners on or strikes out, than a guy who gets a HR, double play, or gets thrown out at first from right field. So what if he draws walks. Doesn't do any good without the bases loaded or a solid hitter behind him to drive in more runs.

7. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    If he gets a contract as a DH it will proably be for only a year. If he doesn't draw enough to cover his costs the contract won't be renewed unless he is an fundamental reason for success in getting to and doing well in the playoffs.

He is hunting in Colorado right now. If I see him I'll ask him. Wonder if he's staying in the same place where Kobi stayed a little while ago.

Assuming he pleads not-guilty, I wonder when the trial will be and how long it will last.

The timing of the indictment is interesting as they waited until after the season and after he set the home run record.

8. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    given yesterday's indictments, i would definitely agree with you on this.

9. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Really? Why wouldn't they pull out the "Oh. he's only a baseball player, he feels horrible about all this and is looking to right his wrongs as he looks towards the future" speech?

10. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I have to disagree. I remember a guy named Kobe Bryant who had some conflicts with court appearances. He didn't miss many games and the Lakers signed him after everyone knew what a jerk he was. Bonds has a high on base percentage. It doesn't matter how he gets there. He is a threat. More importantly, he sells tickets....lots of tickets. The Giants were a terrible team and worse without Bonds in the lineup. Teams took Randy Moss and Terrell Owens and someone will take Bonds...if he can still play. It's all about the $$$$.