I-5 Motors in Fife - Any experiences? Good, bad? | FerrariChat

I-5 Motors in Fife - Any experiences? Good, bad?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by GaryReed, Nov 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Has anyone had any dealings with I-5 Motors in Fife (near Tacoma).

Good, bad or ugly?

http://www.i-5motors.com

I'm going to check out a car (not a Ferrari) that they have for sale today.

2. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    #2 GaryReed, Nov 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Guess I'll be the guinea pig then.

They really treated me well today and one of the owner's of the place is a FClub member.

I hammered out a great deal with his business partner Luke Wilson, and I bought a
    really clean Porsche Boxster "S". Silver/black, S package bigger motor, brakes, etc... Quick and
    fun ride.

I'm picking it up on Friday. It's my first Pcar.

Don't worry... the real "BOXER" is still in my garage. It's not going anywhere for at least
    a few more years.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. enzof355f430

enzof355f430 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I know before my dad got his 308 we went in to check out their 550 they had purely for the fact that "IT WAS A FERRARI". They guy there, dont remember his name, was very nice and said to give him a cal anytime to set up a test drive. He talked with us for quite some time about Ferraris and all cars in general. Overall we had a good experience. I just wish my dad would have taken him up on the offer to drive it. :( good luck with your purchase, hope all goes well.
    -Matt

4. kafugelum308

kafugelum308 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2003
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    M Bradley
    So were does this leave the Alfa? Outside?

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Nice Gary! I finally got to drive my brother's Boxster last weekend in San Diego (he has had it for a few years). Overall I was left impressed with how well put together the car was, and how smoothly and precisely it drove. A little underpowered, your "S" model should take care of that. Interior was a little cramped too, compared to my 355, but manageable.

Have fun!!

Dave

6. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Inside for now. The Subaru will be in the driveway temporarily and the Alfa Spider is going on eBay.

The Alfa is a really clean, great looking car, but the lack of leg room & horsepower is just not working for me. I had gotten a really good deal on it, so I have no qualms about flipping it and making a few bucks.

The Boxster S has plenty of leg room, HP and amazing brakes. It should keep me happy for awhile.

7. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thanks Dave!

Yes, I totally agree. The larger 3.2 liter S package is the way to go. The upgraded brake system is fantastic too. They are the exact same rotors/calipers used on the 911 Carrera.
    +18" wheels, traction control, close ratio 6-spd, etc..

I'll probably be changing the exhaust and intake system around real soon, for even more fun.

8. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Congrats Gary -- I'm pretty sure you'll notice the increase in horsepower compared to the Alfa :)

9. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I can relate to the problems of not having the legroom and comfort. I swore I would never buy a another car I couldn't get completely comfortable in.

A true mid-engined car too. Sounds great. I know you will have a lot of fun with it on the curvy roads. I miss having an open car, can't beat it for those early morning spring drives.

10. speed wrench

speed wrench Karting

Sep 2, 2004
    Bremerton
    Full Name:
    David B
    Congrats on the P-car they make great daily drivers...not quite as fun as an F-car but you don't feel bad about driving them around when the weather is not so great. My P-car is faster than my F-car but the F-car is still my favorite...maybe its time to get a faster F-car (don't tell my wife). Enjoy the new toy, hope you get to drive with the top down soon. D

11. Oblio

Oblio Karting

May 9, 2004
    Puget Sound, WA
    Full Name:
    Todd R
    Wow. What a surprise. You did not say anything about getting a Boxster at the F1 races.

As you know, I have really enjoyed my Boxster that I got this summer. It has been my daily driver since getting it. I like it so much, that I hate the days that I have to drive one of the other cars.

Enjoy and see you soon.

12. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    #12 GaryReed, Nov 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey Todd,

It was kind of a surprise for me too. I hadn't really thought about a getting a Porsche until just recently. Seeing yours in person and hearing about how much you liked it, must have planted the seed.

The Alfa just wasn't cutting it and I started thinking about what I really WANTED for second sports car. Plenty of leg room, lots of HP, superb handling/braking, and a "convertible top" was absolutely mandatory. Then I decided to go with something a little more "modern" this time around. All of my previous sports cars have been pretty raw.

A Boxster S seemed like a really good choice, so I started shopping on the Internet and found one in the right color/options at I-5 Motors.

Here's a shot of it in my garage, after I picked it up this afternoon.

Didn't get a chance to drive it very much today, but I'm hoping to put it through the paces tomorrow, if the weather holds out.

13. Jim Frentress

Jim Frentress Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2007
    Laguna Niguel, CA United States
    Full Name:
    James Frentress
    Enjoy Gary. I5 Motors should be fine. I know a few people who have bought multiple cars from them and have had good luck. I was interested in an FCar they had once, but they required me to sign a purchase agreement before a test drive. Turned me off, since I've never had anyone ask me to do that, so I didn't buy that car.

14. MordaloMVD

MordaloMVD F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2005
    WA
    Full Name:
    Michael von Ditter
    That seemed stupid. It's not like you........... :)

15. Oblio

Oblio Karting

May 9, 2004
    Puget Sound, WA
    Full Name:
    Todd R
    You will love the car. The picture of your garage stable looks great. Owning a Ferrari and a Porsche is living a dream that any car guy would appreciate. My next couple of choices that I am working on are a Maranello and a GT3.

Will you be joining the Porsche club? I have been thinking about it. They plan many events during the year. They almost have as many events in a month as the Ferrari club does in a year. Much larger org.

16. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I took the Pcar out for a long back roads drive with some friends (6 Ferraris, 1 Lambo) on Saturday morning. Man, it is an absolute BLAST to drive!

It is definitely the best handling and one of the funnest cars to drive, that I have ever owned.

It feels very similar to driving a 355. The flat six has a plenty of low end torque and it pulls really hard to redline.

I just realized that I now have three "Boxers" (cars w/horizontally opposed engines). Ferrari (12), Porsche (6), Subaru (4). Pretty funny.

17. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Gary, glad to hear things went well at I-5 Motors. I've had some interest in few cars they've had there in the past but was turned off by my observations. I go to Griot's all the time which is accross the street. I-5 Mototrs has two lots down the road from each other and I always see these young guys hammering down the road moving cars from lot to lot. It's funny how my type A personallity shuts the door on a place like that just fom what I've seen. Now I have some better feedback then just what a couple lot guys are doing for the business. I even spoke to Carlo (Alfa Tacoma) about thier reputation and he said he'd buy a car there, "they're good guys".

Suppose it's time to go down and do some looking for my Christmas list! (I would have added your Boxster to that list. I too have a Subaru but with an H6)

Brian

18. coverland

coverland Formula 3

Apr 22, 2007
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Colin
    Smart.
    -Colin

19. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Yes, a very quick car. Thanks for the ride, nice seats.

Here is a slideshow of the photos I took on the drive, the first is your Silver P-car that I took out the back of the F-car
    http://beta.snapgenie.com/1U3ANQ87

20. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Congrats Gary! Perfect color combo too ;)

21. m_later

m_later Karting

Mar 22, 2007
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John
    Nice car! I have a '00 S myself in Black. It has over 65k miles on it and still is solid as can be. Had one issue with the Rear Main Seal after warranty expired but Porsche split the cost with me. Surprisingly I'm still on the original clutch with it. I've heard many people say it only lasts about 40-50k miles. There were about 2 years where I used it as a daily driver. No problems at all. Always fun to drive. It get parked a lot now with the weather here and now having a Touareg as well. Plus, had a great detail done on the boxster and don't want it to get all dirty again :)

Enjoy the car. I've been impressed with the quality and how solid it still feels after nearly 8 years of ownership. The engine now feels a bit underpowered but not by too much. The Gallardo I'm working towards should address the power issue