F1 Software and hardware question | FerrariChat

F1 Software and hardware question

Discussion in '360/430' started by mrpcar, Nov 26, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Still looking for my 360.... Now I am a little tempted to consider F1s, all the F1 junkies have been talking in my ears....

So here is my understanding, please correct me and educate me on this.

Software
    99 - F1 oldest software, slowest shift and not very smooth during normal driving or automatic mode
    00 - Same as 99
    01 - Some minor software update, results in faster shift and smoother slow speed shifting
    02 - The final software update, which resulted in faster and smoother shifting.

Hardware
    No change?

So to upgrade to the newer F1 software do I will have to replace the TCU unit instead of just programming it? What are the costs assoicated with that?

TIA

2. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    I had my 2002 F1 upgraded it was a new TCU but did make a difference

3. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Don't buy a 360 until you have driven both the F1 and the 6-speed.
    I practiced left foot braking in my daily driver for two years in anticipation of buying a 360 F1. The day finally came when I was able to test drive a 360 F1 (2002), and a 360 6-speed (2000). I promptly puchased the 6-speed.

4. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    I am not sure its that black and white I love manual transmissions but have gotten to appreciate the F! in my 360 particularly in traffic and even for spirited driving gear selection is a lot quicker.

5. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco

Ditto

6. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I have been reading a lot of pros and cons with the F1, one of the post someone said "Buy a F1 for the full Ferrari experience" really hit home with me got me to think about the F1 technology. I mean, the whole idea that the Ferrari is an awesome car is that Ferrari very quickly transfers it's Formula 1 technology learn on the track to their passenger cars so that the buyer of their cars can experience the best money can buy.

So far I have driven a 99 F1, and a 00 manual.

I didn't have too much road time with the F1 and couldn't drive it smoothly during normal speed, but when I floored the car the car shifted like no body's business. Awesome!!!

Manual car I test drove was crappy, bad 1st and 2nd gear synchros, clutch worn.... so........

Now if I can find out more information about how to hack the F1 system to not require the SD2 for a clutch change then the decision is made.

7. CyclingPeaks

CyclingPeaks Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2006
    Big Island, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Hunter Allen
    I drove multiple 03's with F1 and then drove a couple of 99's and settled on a 00.
    From my personal experience, the 99 and 00, shifted better than the 03's.
    I even got to drive an 03 and 99 back to back with same mileage on each, approx same clutch wear and the 99
    was better. It blipped the throttle on downshifts better, the upshifts were plenty fast and smooth, and it didn't lurch
    as much in first gear(that could be pilot error as well).

I was prepared to buy the TCU from Daniel at Ricambi(that guy ROCKS!) and have it installed(have
    to have Ferrari Dealer with SD2/3 do the settings inside the TCU), but after driving my 00, no reason
    to upgrade to the newer TCU.
    I have also driven a CS-03, and it wasn't appreciably different from my 00.
    Just my 2 cents coming from a First time f-car new owner, only 3 weeks now so take this with a grain of
    salt, as I am by no means an expert on this.

Hunter

8. hotcello

hotcello Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Ken

Hi, I just got a 2002 F1 with 7k miles on it, base on what you said, do you think that I should upgrade my TCU? I am looking for a faster shifting but I thought that 2002 cars are all updated already..... am I not getting something here?
    Thanks

9. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    That may depend on build date I dont know that I can say the shifts are faster as a result of the new TCU but they are smoother and less jerking between the shifts. I believe that I read that it also helps clutch wear, but in my view the driver can do more damage in that area than the new TCU will ever save .

10. CyclingPeaks

CyclingPeaks Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2006
    Big Island, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Hunter Allen
    See if you can drive and 2004 and then yours back to back for a comparison. In my previous post, the older TCU shifted better for me, so I am sticking with the original. I know that Ricambi has the CS TCU, which is supposed to be even better than the upgraded 02 one.

Hunter

11. hotcello

hotcello Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Ken

Thanks, but I wish I know someone with a 04 that I can try. My dealer is not friendly enough for me to try theirs.