Ordering Contact Lenses Online? | FerrariChat

Ordering Contact Lenses Online?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by JSinNOLA, Nov 26, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Does anyone here do that? I just realized that I am fresh out of spare lenses since I have been wearing my regular glasses for the past few months. I called my local eye doc to see about ordering a few new boxes of these things and the receptionist said, "Oh, looks like you had your last eye exam 13 months ago, we can't order you new ones until you have a new eye exam."

This is slightly annoying because my prescription hasn't changed in years and I can see everything perfectly without any haziness when wearing the contacts I still have and my glasses. I went on 1800contacts.com and read that it is a federal minimum for prescriptions to last 1 year and that some states allow for 2 years. Now, I will clearly give the eye place the benefit of the doubt that the prescriptions in Louisiana last only 1 year. But if anyone knows how to check on that it would be appreciated.

I started thinking about this some and remembered being in Spain a few years back and needed some new contacts. Over there I just walked into the store, told them my prescription, and 2 min. later they handed me what I wanted no questions asked. So is it really necessary to go through the hoops of wasting time, energy, and money just to get a couple new boxes of lenses that I know are perfectly fine?

What say you guys/gals?

2. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
  3. Skiutah

Skiutah Karting

Jan 31, 2006
    Park City / DC
    Full Name:
    Matthew Ainsley
    I know that when I tried to order some new contacts through 1-800-CONTACTS, they rejected the sale saying that my prescription was 'outdated'. Granted, my eyes do change frequently, but I felt it was a little ridiculous that I could not simply order a new set for a vacation.

I'm not sure of any loop-holes to the system, I'm sure they exist, but I know that I've never encountered any. Sorry to not be of any help.

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I ordered some the other day for my daughter.

The trick is you need a prescription.

So if you have one, its easy, send them A COPY.

If you don't, they will contact the optometrist you went to.

If he is a prick like mine, he will tell them the prescription is "expired", obviously a retaliation to you not paying his outrageous fees.

I had to write a script myself and e-mail it in.

They arrived 4 days later, perfect and cheap.

Now if you are not a doctor you might still be OK if you are resourceful. They def did not check the validity of my script, shame on them, lucky for you.

5. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I've ordered contact lenses online before, but it was so long ago I can't find who I used. It could have been 800 contacts. I did have to have the prescription faxed. The contacts came in cheap.

I think I remember that my eye doc. office met the price of the online guys though when they found out I was getting them somewhere else.

6. atomstrange

atomstrange Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2005
    Lenexa KS
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    They did the same bs to me. I went and had eye surgery the next week. Called them back and told them to F OFF. That was six years ago.

7. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht

Uro, you raise a pet peeve of mine.

When I first got contacts (right when hard contacts were almost all you could get!), they had you get checked every 3 years. Some years later it was every 2 years. Then several years ago Costco (where I get my lenses) won't fill a prescription more than a year old. Now several of the eye doctors I called said every 6 months and my last prescription is valid for 6 months. That seems nuts to me.

Oh, and I remember when it was around $60 to get your eyes checked. Last time I was calling around the lowest I found was $140. Of course they tell you "but that includes a glasses prescription too" (and a friend told me they are required by law to give a glasses one with a contacts one).

It makes me angry... especially considering my presciption hasn't changed now in about 8 years or so... and I always forget when it's running out because I use monthly disposables... so invariably I open the box to see I am on the last pair of lenses, then I forget about it until the next month when I start frantically calling eye-docs to try to get an appointment.

I always wondered how closely those places checked... I also thought I could probably just fax a script and put my private office phone # on there and 'confirm' it when they call :)

8. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Oh and while I'm on a rant, allow me to continue.

It also bugs me that if you want to try a different kind of lens the docs tell you that you need a seperate script and a seperate payment. Why? I went to the doc before and I didnt want to keep using the acuvue dailies because I travel a lot, get stuck in airports and sometimes fall asleep in my lenses, so I wanted those Day and Night ones. He was pushing me hard not to do it, but never explained why (and I learned they are more porous and let more air through which should be a GOOD thing). I also wanted a script for Acuvue 2 colors. He wanted to charge me for $140 x 2 for that. WTF? He also wrote a script for Acuvue 2 colors and costco did not want to sell me acuvue 2 non-colored. Again, wtf?

Some years ago I had colored lenses that fit great - they were perfect. I went back years later to get disposable colors... they sucked, they would sag on my eyes so the colored part was half covering the pupil, everything looked foggy. The woman had no clue why it was happening, and said she would call the manufacturer. I kept telling her I had some sort of non-disposable colored lenses about 8 years ago made by CibaVision and they were perfect. She kept insisting we try to get the acuvue's to work. She assured me the $140 fee was for a script and "we would go to any length necessary" to get a script that worked. Well, I guess not as I never did end up getting a script, other than for Acuvue 2's that sucked. I have 5 boxes of those POS's in my closet that were something like $50/box. Thanks for that!

It seems the eye docs just want to know what lenses you've been wearing, check to see if your eyes are any worse, write you the same script (perhaps in a different power) and send you on your way. If you mention changing lens brand, trying a new product or whatever they seem to get all freaked out over it!

9. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This is probably a simple answer but why do you need a prescription for glasses and contacts? The only thing I can think of is hurting your eyes with the wrong ones.

10. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    If anyone knows how to circumvent the norm please get in touch with me because this is BS ;)

SRT MIKE, you really got the shaft!

11. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Try using LENS.COM (or use their phone # 800-536-7266). I found them to be the cheapest around, and I had my eyes checked almost two years ago :)

12. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have a guy who makes eyeglass lens for Docs. He gets mine wholesale from his lens suppliers. I got tested two years ago. Same as five years before.

13. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO

Just wanted to chime back in and say thanks to everyone who offered their take on this post. I ordered some online(despite prescription being over a year old) from Lens.com and yesterday a package arrived in the mail with the exact same lenses I have been wearing. Now that it worked I will be ordering several more boxes.

In the end, I saved $10/box of contacts and 2hrs of time + a $200 eye exam.

So again, thanks all!