308/328 OIL FILTERS | FerrariChat

308/328 OIL FILTERS

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by bonneaud, Nov 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bonneaud

bonneaud Karting

May 3, 2004
    Any chatter here has experience with the K&N oil filter (HP 3001@ $14.00). I'm happy with their air filter... Anyboby? Thanks.

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #2 Verell, Nov 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Does the K&N have a 'standpipe' in it? Because the filters are mounted threads down, 3x8s require a filter with a standpipe that will keep them from draining. Most of the filters that will fit don't have the standpipes. Baldwin, UFI, & Fram filters do have them, but Fram doesn't have a sterling reputation for holding up against F* oil pressure.

Here's a pix of the standpipe someone posted to the Old Fchat years ago:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #3 miketuason, Nov 27, 2007
  4. jagjet

jagjet Rookie

Oct 24, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    W.Robert Phelps, III
    #4 jagjet, Nov 27, 2007
    I will be attending the Performance Racing Industry show here in Orlando shortly and I will ask K&N boys about their stuff since the potential for the Ferrari Market is huge!

Robert Phelps
    ZFF Consulting

5. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    baldwin is the way to go

6. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Only UFI if you show it.

7. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    Is this true?

I know it probably is, just wondering are these shows really that anal...

8. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Use Baldwin, you 'll get the best price.

K&N air filters are highly overrated, I imagine their oil filters may be too.

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Actually, for the early 308's the crappy Fram is the supposed to be the "period correct" oil filter. It was later in the production series that the UFI became the factory installed filter.

10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I don't believe so...I have seen a number of 60's and 70's era Ferraris pictures at shows (in magazines) with Baldwins. I know I wouldn't risk a vintage Columbo motor with a Fram, based on the pictures I have seen of cut open Fram PH2804-1 filters! Scary to say the least.

11. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

Baldwin is definitely the price leader and appears of equal quality to the UFI.

The K&N oil filter tests I have read, claim the filtering is very good, the problem in the Ferrari application is the lack of standpipe. Strange that they actually recommend use of their filter in a Ferrari. The old adage that just becuase it fits, does not mean it works in the application...

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Actually, the potential market is tiny! Ferrari adds a grand total of 5000+ cars to the planet each year....I would guess that Toyota does that in a day. Figuring that K&N's primary market is North America, that makes for an even smaller market audience. My guess is they could hardly care. I'm surprised they even make the air filters for Ferraris, but probably do so, because people will seek them out, if they see a potential performance benefit. But an oil filter? I am not so sure anyone sees much benefit of one over another, as long as it meets the car manufacturer's specifications, and is quality made. That is why absolutely NO ONE makes replacement oil filters for any of the newer, relatively high volume Ferraris made in the last 10 years, like the 348, 355 (production of around 14,000 cars), 360 (production of around 15,000 cars), 430, 550, 575, 456, 612, 599. They all use French made Purflux filters...and that is all that is available.

13. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    +1

UFI is what they supply down at Maranello parts - never had a problem with them

I.

14. bonneaud

bonneaud Karting

May 3, 2004
    Thanks to all and Mr.Verell (as usual) for your logistics and x-ray vision. B-253 seems a winner!.

15. jagjet

jagjet Rookie

Oct 24, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    W.Robert Phelps, III
    #15 jagjet, Nov 28, 2007
    I think you missed my point. Not that there a large number of Ferraris in that segment but if they were to make a good quality filter that protects the engine and is inexpensive a higher per cent of the Ferrari clan would use them. This chat Community and others are at least, read if not contributed to, by a large number of highly enthusiastic owners who care about and work on their own motorcars. Surely there are more toyotas, but that's like saying there are More Chinese, so what's the point. Ferraris are really no better or worse than most luxury cars. Their percentage of R&D is far less than BMW and even General Motor, for God's sake (F1 aside). Very little passenger car new technology comes directly (and I mean without dilution because of customer drivability issues) from the Ferrari F1 program. How many customers understand Launch Control and how it's best utilized? And would they care, they just want to be see in a Ferrari. Todays new values Ferrari owner is a much different man (read 45+, overwieght and balding) than the Man who bought a new 275GTB or even a Daytona Spyder in their day. I'm just the right age to have been a car guy, I bought a new 70 E-type next a 289 FIA Cobra ,2 GT 350'S, Pantera, Lotus Elan, Europa, 275 GTB SN, Mondials and BMW 3.0CSL. None of them Cost me more than $25,000 usd. I 've been lucky enough to own, drive and enjoy what other have said are the best cars of all time.

No axes to grind, my wheel is broken!
    Robert
    Jaguar Magazine, ZFF Consulting

Autoline Detroit source for R&D budget figures published annually along with production productivity and more industry facts

Ps The French have about 3500 words for cheese, 200 ways to tie scarves, so how could they possibly have time for oil filters?

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Baldwin is correct on the early carbed 308s, for air and oil filters, and you get to pick them up by the case, with all the Truckers! LOL!

17. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    I bought 2 for my car last month ( B253 ) at www.adiesel.com for $34 including shipping

18. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Wow.....I think I missed your point again, right after your second sentence. Chinese, R&D, F1, General Motors, launch control, Ferrari owners are overweight and balding, and you've owned some cool cars in the past...nice, but your point? ;)

My bottom line is the market is too small for K&N to make a filter that has better perceived quality, and sell it for less, because the volume of sales will not justify it. Thus far, the market has proven me right...there are NO aftermarket oil filters specifically produced for any Ferrari made since (about) 1990 model year through today.

Would it be nice if K&N or some other manufacturer came out with a better product at a competitive price? Absolutely, and I think it is entirely possible that they indeed, could make money at it...perhaps not a lot of money, but it could be profitable. So far, no company has felt those profits justify the effort.

19. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The UFI and Baldwin units have proven themselves to give excellent protection for decades. I see no reason to go to an unproven unit to save perhaps $3 a year.

Dave

20. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I did the same locally, pretty wild picking up a dozen filters for a Ferrari where the 18 wheelers and such pick up theirs! Decent price as well.

Jeff

21. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    LOL!

Jeff, did you at least where a baseball cap and wear jeans when you went in there?? You know, to blend in.:)

No offence to anybody. :D

22. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Unfortunately, couldn't find my Peterbuilt hat!

It's great, the crossover with Baldwin's. I'd never find a Ferrari part this close to home.

Jeff

23. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    hahaha the local distributor for Baldwin here are truck people as well :)