360/430 VS. GT3 | FerrariChat

360/430 VS. GT3

Discussion in '360/430' started by 964RS, Nov 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 964RS

964RS Karting

Nov 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    JBarnes
    #1 964RS, Nov 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    How many of you 360/430 owners have driven a 997 GT3 or RS?

Why do I ask...

I just purchased a 01 360. Due to the weather I have had very little time behind the wheel.
    I love the way the car feels but have not had enough time in the car to figure out why. Maybe it is the fact that it is a Ferrari and all the camera phones going off.....

It feels soo much different than the GT3 and the GT3 feels soo much faster, stable, better vision, etc.... Maybe it's bacause I have spent 18 years in a 911???

I am soo happy I bought the F car, but I can't put my finger on why... Maybe you guy's that have driven both can help me out....

I guess I am just confused..and Stuck in Oregon watching it rain.....With no drive time in sight....

Help please.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #2 ylshih, Nov 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A number of members here have both.

In comparing a Challenge Stradale against a 997 GT3RS, I would give the edge to the RS technically, but the CS is still the more emotionally involving car to drive. The CS has factors like excellent performance/handling, outrageous exhaust note, racy cockpit environment, great seat and steering wheel feel, and very stylish body/looks going for it. While the RS has slightly better performance and handling over the CS and much improved exhaust note over most 911's; the cockpit and body/looks are like an old shoe for long time 911 owners (20+ years for me) and probably feel more mundane in comparison.

3. 964RS

964RS Karting

Nov 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    JBarnes
    The GT3 will smoke the Strad.... The Old GT3 was a draw... The new car has more power and better handling....

I would love some comparisons in feel... Durring hard driving.

Maybe you F car guy's don't drive them that hard...How does it power slide, is it easy to catch. Anyone every looped one... Do they break free and go around quickly like the Porsche can or do they just do a 1/2 and power slide... Some of you track guy's have to tell me...

I have not been able to ring out the F car... So far I love it in daily traffic, crusing on the freeway.

Thanks for the help...

4. ringmeister

ringmeister Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2005
    NJ
    You're comparing a car from 2001 to a car from 2007. Lots of advancements have been made in that time. Some better, some worse.

5. porsche racer

porsche racer Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2006
    southern california
    Full Name:
    arthur
    I owned a 04 GT3 before buying 04 360.
    I use to take the GT3 to cal speedway and do 155-160 mph with street tires on the oval. However, I don't feel comfortable doing 140mph even on a straight line with 360. The car doesn't feel stable to me. Eventhough I have hyperflow cats with novitec rims (355 size tires) 360 is slower than a 04 GT3.
    On the other hand, I enjoy driving the ferrari more.

6. 964RS

964RS Karting

Nov 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    JBarnes
    Thanks...

I do not own a Stradale.... But it was a nice right up.... Any one have a regular old 360 6 speed??? Care to give me a comparison to a GT3???

Seems you F chat guy's have pretty much covered it all. Seems like every post someone say's do a search??? Sometimes it is nice to get fresh info from fresh people on the same subject??

Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

7. Rockyd

Rockyd Karting

Oct 5, 2007
    San Jose
    +1 For racing and reliability i will trust a GT3 than a Ferrari. We race a GT3 cup and i use a 360 in street.

8. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    You seemed to be asking about intangibles in your OP, then you went for the usual track comparisons. :confused:

What brought up this comment? :rolleyes:

You've probably gotten more CS/GT3RS comments because they're more similar cars and more likely to draw common ownership. Actually I don't know of a 360 owner that also has a GT3 or RS, though I'm sure there are some.

Who said do a search on this thread? :confused:

9. 964RS

964RS Karting

Nov 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    JBarnes

Good points...

I just want someone that has driven them both to tell me what they think.....

Thats all.....

As far as the "Do a Search" I was referring to the link to the CS thread ( which was a good one, thanks. )

I was not looking for a which car is better, that is not in debate, I was looking for comments on driving characteristics...

Not trying to offend any one just looking for a little car chat.... Not being able to drive my cars this time of year drives me insane....... I am going to half to ship them to Palm Springs for the winter!!!

10. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    You've got a problem if you aren't comfy at 140 in the 360. I will say this, aftermarket wheels and tires are often a mistake and mess up the handling. Other than that I would check alignment, tire pressures, etc.

Gary

11. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I owned a 2004 6-spd Modena, and did a track day with a bunch of 996 GT3s. I drove one of them back to back with the 360 and preferred the 360 (and I've got a lot of time in Porsches, owned them for many years). I found the lap time similar, but the 360 was much more fun to drive, more responsive, quicker steering, shorter gears, sounded MUCH better, etc. To me frankly it wasn't that close. There was nothing in the experience that made me think I'd made a mistake to go from Porsche to Ferrari (that 360 was my first Ferrari). It would probably pay to do an alignment, unless one was done recently. They are notoriously poorly aligned from the factory (this is true of Porsches also).

Gary

Gary

12. 964RS

964RS Karting

Nov 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    JBarnes
    Rain Stopped... Just finished a nice speed run, I love the car, the sound the handling. It is very special. But very different feel than the GT3. Not as much brute power but enough to enjoy.. The handling of the car feel much crisper. Never did I feel the ass was going to come around... I wonder if you push it too hard if it will snap or understeer. It was a little wet so I did not slide the car.

Brakes... The initial bite of the brakes are terrible. I think there is something wrong with them. The pedal seems very flat and it does not feel like they are working at all, on hard full speed braking. The pedal seems to hit a wall and then engage... Any one else had this problem. The dealer bled the brakes because they thought they felt odd. I think I need to take it back. Feels similar to my Turbo that had a bad booster.

Any body have any imput on the brakes, that would be great. Hard braking has no feel, pedal has very little travel. After the revs come down they feel fine???

Great car, very special experience.... Sort out the brakes and it is a keeper...

13. porsche racer

Jun 2, 2006
    southern california
    Full Name:
    arthur
    actually, I was planning to do alignment due to lowering the car.

14. JChoice

JChoice Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    JC
    The 355 size tires will make your car feel noticeably slower and the steering (assuming wider tires up front) may not be as sharp. You take a performance hit for the looks.

15. porsche racer

Jun 2, 2006
    southern california
    Full Name:
    arthur
    Justin,
    I agree the car feels heavier, but steering is OK and the ASR is cooperating. I wanted to have more rubber for stability, I hated the 215 tires.

16. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    no way that GT3 is stock my friend . no way a GT3 can hold off a 430 in a straight line . on the track though the GT3 is king .

17. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    It didnt. The f430 was a tad quicker on the straights. But that was a 996 GT3.

18. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    you must be looking at a different vid to me . off the line the 3 pulls away ever so slightly regardless if he gets the jump on the 430 , no way it's stock . after the first turn the 430 does **** all in gaining the 3 , even though he was nearly in a slip stream . i would say the 430 driver wasn't as committed into the corner , and as a result , came out of it slower . coming out of the corner at 1:36 on the vid , the 430 does much better , again i think the driver was on the gas earlier , yet didn't blow the 3 away . trust me on this , i know .

19. Yellow355

Yellow355 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I traded an '04 GT3 for a Stradale and have taken both to 150 now, I can say for sure that the Stradale is more stable at that speed. I've taken the GT3 to 150 with various front camber settings and can say even w/ min. neg. camber, the Stradale is calmer at that speed. Will see if I can wring out the Stradale this weekend and report back how it handles (and slides) with compared to the 3 but I have a feeling that it won't snap oversteer on me as badly as the GT3 which I have spun at least 15 to 20 times in the 4 years that I owned it doing autox.

20. Charlesgt2

Charlesgt2 Karting

Mar 16, 2004
    Driving a GT3 is a lot different from a Stradale. The Stradale is mid engine, easier to drive than the rear engine (behind the axle) GT3. But once you get to know the handling differences between the 2 cars the GT3 is faster at the track.

21. LuisGT3

LuisGT3 Formula Junior

May 16, 2006
    Orono, MN
    Full Name:
    Luis
    There are a few things you can do to a GT3 to make it faster, but mods don't add huge amounts of power. I have experienced similar launches against 430's, the driver has a lot to do with it, if the 430 is F1 and the driver does not know how to launch it properly, that will happen every time. From a roll the 430 walks away from the 996 GT3. I have run my car against regular 360's (easy kill) and against CS's (I beat those too) but I have headers, exhaust and software in my car. On the track, it's no contest. GT3 every time.