Engine Access | FerrariChat

Engine Access

Discussion in '308/328' started by docweed, Nov 28, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart
    I have a 79 308 GTS and have done all engine work to this point with the bonnet removed. Wanted to bleed the cooling system at the thermostat the other day but difficult to reach with the air filter in place. For access and future engine tasks is there some way to remove the air filter box without removing the bonnet??? I tried raising the bonnet with the support removed but still couldn't get enough clearence to get the air filter box off the top of the engine. Read awhile back that some guy replaced the 16 studs with bolts....I can't get enough room to clear the studs. Any advise? Can't even change the air filter without removing the bonnet. Thanks

2. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Some cars are probably a little tighter than others. But in any event, if you pull the pin at the top of the support rod, you can lift the lid a bit higher until the hinges touch the roof openings. You should get enough clearance to get the airbox off.

As to bleeding, neither of my 77 cars have a bleed on the T-stat housing. On level ground cold, I open the radiator bleed and, while maintaining level at the expansion tank, bleed the radiator until it runs clear. Then I make a few stops from time to time and open the bleed again. If I get a lot of air, I top off the tank. I think with or without the T-stat bleeder it would take several attempts over a day or two to work all the air out of the system. Just filling it and bleeding it once or twice and never checking it again isnt safe IMHO. I generally check the bleeder for air before every run with the filler cap off, just as I do oil and other checks.

3. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart

4. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Chuck although you are over the hump and did it the hard way here is what I've done. When I did my 1st belt change I had to remove the lid. After I removed the air cleaner I glued in the little round sleeves that are on the carb studs to the carb. So now when I need to wash the K&N air filter I take the top of the filter off and while PULLING the bottom of the air cleaner toward the rear of the car (the 4 rubber gaskets flex) I can remove the air cleaner. Now if you want by doing the same operation you can also remove the bottom half of the air cleaner and the 16 round spacers stay on the top of the carbs. Just takes a little force but it works for me.

5. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart
    Thanks for the tip...I'll check to see if it will help in removing the filter. I was always worried about dropping one of those spacers down a throat so glueing them in place would eliminate that worry. I'm also going to consider the possibility of removing the 16 studs and replace them with matching bolts. Sounds like that might work. Also thought about lifting the hood and leaving the support in place then loosing the hinge bolts and lifling the front center of the hood as far as possible then tightening the bolt to hold it up. Realigning the hood s/b a little easier. BTW my hood hits the filter box when it is closed. This will be a next summer project as the car is in winter hibernation. Well thanks again guys for your suggestions and have a good holidays.