Attention? | FerrariChat

Attention?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rv5, Nov 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rv5

Rv5 Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ross V
    This may be a stupid question, and I certainly dont drive any of my toys to get attention. Infact I avoid traffic, but every time a little kid in the back of a SUV sees his first classic and waves, i cant help but smile. i know a 430/599/and enzo for sure could stop traffic, but how about the 3x8s? I still think they are gorgeous and cant say i like any other ferrari more. just curious on a lazy friday afternoon, i want to hear about driving experiences in fcars!

2. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I had a kid I guess he was 12 or 13 literally on his knees bowing down to the 328 and making a big fuss, kinda embarassing really.

3. Red 328 GTS

Red 328 GTS Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    #3 Red 328 GTS, Nov 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here in Australia, Ferraris of any description are as rare as rocking horse dung so you definitely do get the looks.

I'm not a shy person by nature but there is a small (well actually VERY small) cringe factor when my car comes out. I can't help but think what they must be saying to their occupants or to themselves................ "Look at that tosser in the Ferrari" comes to mind but that all goes with the territory I suppose.

The one thing I would like to mention is that there seems to be a difference on weekdays as opposed to Saturdays and Sundays. I find that on weekends if I take it out for a cruise, casually dressed with one of my girls with me, I get the positive thumbs up and "nice car mate" comments. If I drive it during the week (which is very rare anyway) it's more of a negative thing as they probably presume it's my daily and I'm a drug dealer or something.

So in answer to your question, yes certainly where I am, the car definitely gets noticed.
    Cheers,

Bob.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff

same here, 550 cars in the whole country (well there are only 4 million people and 50 million sheep!!) 99% of time get thumbs up and usual questions, how fast, how much and WANT ONE!!!

5. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I'm with you, I avoid all traffic I can and people. The less crowded the better. I even have figured out the best gas stations to go to that are spread out with more room and less people. It definetly turns head, as much because of the sound as the looks. I think most people thinks it looks cool but don't know for sure what it is. Unless they are car people they've probably forgotten the car unless they are still watching Magnum PI reruns.

Jeff

6. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Quoting myself here, but...

7. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    People always comment on my 308...whether I'm at a gas station or stopped at a light. Always nice comments...I don't know if they know what it is, but they know it's different than what they are used to seeing. Here in the south, though, if it's not a pick-up... it's different :)

8. BAturb

BAturb Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Ive only had the Mondial 3 weeks now but get looks and comments every time I take it out, I didnt buy it to get noticed but I supose as has been said it goes with the territory, and being only 270 someting Ferraris in South Australia they tend to get noticed a lot

9. 308-newbie

308-newbie Guest

I was blown away by how many people actually get all excited about a relatively inexpensive 30 year old car when I bought mine. One of the most interesting phenomena I have noticed is people that roll their windows down to listen to it go by, then roll them back up! (Tubi). I guess that used to be me though, so not too strange.

One of the funniest things is that frequently people want to "race"...the Ferrari speed up factor. I love watching them shoot off from the lights as I casually enjoy listening to it come up to speed.

10. Badman

Badman Formula 3

Mar 4, 2007
    Gotham City
    Full Name:
    Bruce Wayne
    When I was in the city the other night, pulling some stuff out of the luggage compartment, I had a dad come up to me and ask if his son (~10 years old) could look at the engine because the kid was too embarrassed to ask himself. Of course, I told the father to get the hell away from my car and leave me alone. Just kidding, that boy walked away with a perma-grin :)

I took my 12 year old nephew for a ride in the 308 the other day. He didn't have any idea I had such a thing, until he and his father came over that day. As soon as he saw it he went crazy. When I started the engine up, I thought he was going to burst an artery, he was so excited. After the ride, he had a big smile on his face for at least an hour.

Anyway, I'm always pleased to see that the car still inspires kids even to this day.

11. Mr. Nice Guy

Mr. Nice Guy Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Southern NH
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Just a few weeks ago, I was out for a cruise and stopped in at a local sandwich shop. As I was waiting for my order, I saw an older guy (late 50's I'd guess) out in the parking lot checking out the 308... so, I went out and struck up a conversation. I always offer people the opportunity to sit in the car (after making sure they don't have a pencil or screwdriver in their pocket) - and I did the same with this guy... I could see the struggle as he said (politely) "No... maybe not today..." So, I said - "You'd rather go for a quick spin, wouldn't you?" The guy immediately broke into a HUGE grin.... he didn't have to say a thing, I just said "Hop in."

I took the guy out for a quick 10 minute jaunt down the road a piece and back. He was giggling like a school-boy looking at his first girl... he wouldn't stop talking about how the car sounded and felt.... (he confessed he'd never ridden in a Ferrari before). I only got his first name, Howard,... and it was only 10 minutes... but, I'd bet he won't forget it.

That's what owning this car is for me.... sharing the joy and passion for these cars with other people that wouldn't otherwise have the chance. I never pass up an opportunity to let some little kid sit behind the wheel and pretend it's their own personal racing car... it's a piece of history and we're merely custodians...

12. hogster

hogster Rookie

Nov 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    Darren
    I know I don't own one yet, but have been around them many times. Even race cars up close. I was in a race club some years ago and the club made some money working tracks for Ferrari club races, NASCAR (Winston cup then), and Indy. I always get excited seeing Ferrari's, race cars, and other sports cars. It is like art! Cars are one of the best things mankind has created. I mean just look at the lines of a 288 GTO to name one... I know, many many more to look at. Then one just has to listen to them. Nothing better then hearing an engine, well almost :).
    I have two machines I love. Cars and airplanes. And I think many do as well. As mentioned in this thread, always someone will look.
    Keep them running all....

13. Brunello

Brunello Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2005
    Vancouver, British C
    Full Name:
    Al
    I always find it amusing when people take pictures of my car parked on a city street. I think the color more than anything is what brings people to it. That's why I envy you guys with the non-red cars I think you get all the pleasure without any unnessary attention. Try sneaking into a Hamburger joint parking lot in a red ferrari!

14. rocksoldier

rocksoldier Rookie

Jan 27, 2004
    Valencia
    Full Name:
    Bryndon Newberry
    It's cool to have people whipping out their camera phones at stop lights and in parking lots. I've had several people ask if they could just sit in the drivers seat for a second.
    My brother has a 360 and we've both noticed that my 308 gets A LOT more attention. I could have gotten a 355 or a Testarossa but the 308 just looked so much better in my opinion.
    I love my 308..

15. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    when my garage door is open,well both doors so thers more light in garage and the car is more seen from the street,when I'm doing yard work,the wife wants to know why soes it take you all day? If know only knew how many neighbors or their company thats visting them stop by to see the car asking where the engine is,what year is it,wow it looks new do you ever drive it,bet the ins. is high,its more fun to show the car than mow the yard!!

16. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave

I have heard NZ has more Ferraris per capita than anywhere else in the world. 550 in NZ would equal about 41,250. in the US. I'm quite sure we do not have that many!

PS: I would love to spend a month in a Ferrari on your south island with immunity from law enforcement. Anyone who's been to your country knows why it has produced so many road racers for a little country.

Best,
    Dave

17. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    boy,do I really need to proof read what I write,

18. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    South Carolina isn't south! What are you 500 or so miles NORTH of me? :D

19. Ackmann

Ackmann Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Salem Oregon
    Full Name:
    Wayne Ackermann
    I have limited finances to buy a toy. But regardless, the 308 is what I want the most. Growing up in the 80's watching Magnum etc. I always wanted a Ferrari. When I think of Ferrari I always think of a red 308. I like the Testarossa, Enzo, 355, 599 430. None of these cars are what I first think of when I invision a Ferrari. I'm not going to buy one because of performance. Lets face it, there is other cars for $30k area that will outperform it. I just love the beauty, rarity, THE SOUND THE SOUND. and lets be honest the attention of it. People love cars. But just about everyone I know reconizes the a Ferrari is, A FERRARI!! and at the end of the day they are all very special.

Can't wait for the experience.

20. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    and we well all be here for you to walk you through it and good luck on the hunt ackmann