FS: Superfast - How many fabricated? | FerrariChat

FS: Superfast - How many fabricated?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Finitele, Nov 28, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ

24 Series 1

12 Series 2

Regards,

Art S.

PS. the one in the picture looks like a nice, original series 2.

2. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
  3. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
  4. DinoScuderia

DinoScuderia Karting

Apr 15, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I agree with you about their value based on the fact that it was produced in such low numbers and that it was pumping out 400 HP back then. I bet this is a great touring car.

Maybe it's the lack of actual racing heritage for this model plus the fact that it is a 2 + 2?

Hopefully someone here has the definitive answer!

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They need that power to pull the weight, they are larger than the SWB by a big margin, other than that, soft front suspension and weak braking are the only negatives I have ever heard..

I'm with you guys, I dig the styling a lot.

Even when all Ferraris were coach built these were rare cars.

Thanks for the Bonhams link....."2 F1 team shirts belonging to Nigel Stepney"....ROTFLMAO!!!!!

6. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Finitele,

There is not significant difference in price between the series 1 and series 2 (by the way, Superfast I and Superfast II were unique showcars different from the ones we are discussing here).

Matthew,

I love the color of the Bonhams car! I saw the '64 Turin showcar painted in the same color - just beautiful! My favorite was the dark green one out of the UK.

DinoSuderia,

Of the ones I have seen, none are 2+2 as far as I can remember. However all of these cars share the same chassis with the 330 2+2, they just have the bigger engine and a different body (the series 1 Superfast matches the series 1 330GT and the series 2 Superfast matches the series 2 330GT). This, plus the lack of racing bloodline may keep the prices down.

Alan,

They are not that big - just a slightly stretched 330 GTC (look much smaller in person than in pictures), and I doubt thay are much heavier. However the do have a live axle rear.

Regards,

Art S.

7. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Do they have "white powder" on them? Hmm....

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think Superfast's are very cool, and I agree that they are undervalued in this market. I think it's probably true that the lack of competition heritage holds them back (as far as I know, none of them are 2+2s), but on the other hand they appear to be quite usable, and fine touring cars.

9. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Is there a place to see pictures of all 36?

jack

10. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    'bout 20 years ago my father purchased a Superfast and a Queen Mother from one of the Dupont family members. Three new Superfasts were delivered from the factory to the Dupont family back in "65 I believe. I had the opportunity to drive the Superfast to an indoor car show at the Ocean City Maryland Convention Center. The drive was 100 miles or so each way.

My impression of the car was big, heavy and had brakes that did not match the power. It kinda reminded me of the American muscle cars. Fast in a straight line, did not like tight turns and would not stop for nothin'. Needless to say it required your attention all the time. During the same period I owned a 330 GTC. I was very happy to get back into my GTC [my only car at the time] and drive home. Superfasts sure are exclusive and powerful, but a handfull to drive. Even the 365 GT seemed modern in comparison.

By the way...at that car show "to make an entry statement" someone in his Fcar decided to smoke his tires. He "got his throttle stuck" [he says] and did a spin around the show floor barely missing me and the Superfast. Unfortunately he did not miss the Daytona Spyder and slammed broadside. A friend of mine reached into the open window of the still running car and shut off the key in front of the frozen owner/driver.

Needless to say he did make quite an entry statement....

11. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    #12 kvisser, Dec 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Ken, I believe the green car is part of the Collier Collection. And don't shoot me if I am wrong, but I think it is a 400 SA and not a Superfast.

13. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    I could definitely stand to be corrected. There are so many out there that know more about Ferraris then my little self. Explain to me the difference between the SA and the SF.

thanks

ken

14. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    The 400 and 410 are 4 and 4.1 litre engines. The SA stands for SuperAmerica. That car was indeed Enzo's car. I have seen it a couple of times at the Collier museum. Another Ferrari in his collection is the 166 MM that unfortunately brought the demise of Sam Collier while road racing at Watkins Glen. If you ever get the op to see the Collier Collection you will be in awe. I have seen it 4 times and could spend a week there w/ just a sleeping bag. How bout a Gurney Eagle F1? or and one of the Reich suppoted uncomparable MB 154s? There are just 3 of these formula cars in the world. Or how about.......oops off topic

15. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    out of the four pics, only the second one is a Superfast.

16. Zegna

Zegna Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2006
    North America
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    I second this.

17. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Second picture is Superfast, all others are Superamericas.

Regards,

Art S.

18. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    410 Superamerica = 5 litre.

19. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    What are the differences between the two types? Thanks.

john

20. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    John V.,

The chassis and drivetrains are the same (except the engine of course) as the 330GT so the modifications followed the 330GT; S1 = bottom pedals, 4 speed + overdrive, 11 slot fender openings, etc. S2 = hanging pedals, 5 speed, 3 slot fender openings, etc.

Regards,

Art S.

21. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Thanks Art. So, the car is a basicaly a heavier 330GT 2+2. I always thought the 500SF meant a six liter engine (500ccx12).

22. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    John,

As far as I know, the body is lighter and the engine doesn't weigh much more - in person, the lines work much better than in most photos. I think the motor is 5 liter displacement (based on memory) - the 500 does not follow the usual one cylinder displacement terminology.

Regards,

Art S.

23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks for the driving impressions vs. the 330GTC.....that reconciles with others I have read, no doubt with modern components the suspension and braking could be sorted out????

24. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    One of the RHD cars sold at auction last night for only £230,000. www.bonhams.com