PPI needed on a Sport Auto car? | FerrariChat

PPI needed on a Sport Auto car?

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by newgentry, Nov 28, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. newgentry

newgentry Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Newbie question here - I'm seriously in the market for my first F-car, have been talking to Sport Auto (Steve Barney) about one that looks good. He evidently knows this car very well, having sold it not too long ago (less than two months) and is now taking it right back from the same buyer in trade on another vehicle. Given that, he says the car is tight, needs no service, and is ready to go. From everything that I've read about him and Sport Auto on F-Chat, their reputation and credibility is impeccable even on a bad day, and so far in our discussions he's done absolutely nothing that would indicate otherwise. To the contrary, he's been nothing but helpful. But if there's one thing that I've also learned in my research, its that a PPI is usually a must. So should I get one anyway? Thanks in advance to all.

2. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I too am a newbie in the area, but I personally would take them at their word and not bother. I will be looking to add something in the next year or two, and I plan to start with them.

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Personally, I think if Mr. B says something, you can bank on it.

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i agree w/ daniel. save your money on the ppi. if there was ever a dealership where this can be advised...it is sport auto.

steve barney and tom jones are great people and would never stand behind a car if it were not warranted.

pcb

5. f355red

f355red Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    K-town NC
    Full Name:
    todd tanner
    i have purchased 2 cars from steve and he is honest abe!!
    i currently have a 360 their that he is trying to sell for me and he is willing to forfeit the fees he incured if i decide to get rid of it elsewhere. he is first class and i always go to ferrari dealers when i visit a new town and i mention his name and its always the same story. "great guy". if something were to happen to your car, steve would make it right. which car are you looking at, i may have driven it as i was up there this weekend and i may be able to give you some info>

6. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Steve and Tom get all of my respect. Who else would delever a car on Christmas day???

If Steve says it is good... It is GOOD!

7. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    +1!

-Peter
    www.peterkrause.net

8. lotsats

lotsats Rookie

Sep 19, 2007
    I bought my first Ferrari from Steve in 1978, and have now bought a total of three from him. Steve and Tom have 100% credibility with me. Personally, I would trust anything they told me without question. These are good folks!!!!!

Joel Hoffman

9. onsight1

onsight1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2007
    Great to hear such good things about a dealer. Where is he located and how do I contact them?

10. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    For what it's worth,

I bought my car from Steve (Jones) sight unseen and shipped to California.
    That is how confident I am of their dealership..
    Could not be happier

11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I bought my 328 from Sport Auto, and it has been a problem free car. However: If you haven't gone to see the car in person, GO!. There were a few minor things about my car that I would have noticed if had made the trip from CA to NC, but I had missed out on the specific car I wanted once, and didn't want to lose it again. No one can tell you everything about a car over the phone, and web photos are not sufficient.

That said, I'd agree with the others here about not needing a PPI. I had a power window glitch on my car two days after delivery, and Sport Auto offered to pay my local Ferrari tech to fix it (turned out to be nothing more than a dirty contact on the switch, but the point is you don't have to worry about buying a car from them with any serious issues).

12. newgentry

newgentry Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Oh yeah, I am definitely planning on going over there - they're not too far, about 3 hours, and heck why give up the chance to get a test drive, right? Thanks for the reply though, it helps.

13. stradleboy

stradleboy Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Bennett
    steve (both of them) are wonderfull guys Mr.B is a stand up man if u really want a ppi you can just have sportauto do it. Mr. B has even been known to fail his own cars thats just how honest he is.

14. naroescape

naroescape Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Bob Saville
    What car are you looking at? I was there over Thanksgiving looking around. My wife went for a ride in a Gallardo SL and now wants one!!

-Bob Saville

15. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Hah! Not often, otherwise he wouldn't have them there for sale under his name! <very big grin>

-Peter
    www.peterkrause.net

16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I know Steve and his operation.
    I would trust him.
    Unfortunately my job took me to Florida and I really miss having Sport Auto nearby. He has built up a "family" of loyal enthusiasts that meet at Sport Auto for F1 races and trackday event at VIR. For a car guy that area is Nirvana and Steve is the ringmaster!
    If I ever decide to buy a Ferrari the ONLY person I will call is Steve Barney.

17. f355red

f355red Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    K-town NC
    Full Name:
    todd tanner
    #18 f355red, Jan 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    just got our third car from him yesterday.
    first class. while they were finishing it up they let us take a Superleggera out for a run!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. stradleboy

stradleboy Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Bennett
    dude you get the red tan 575 6spd? if so that is one of the most beautiful 550/575's i have ever seen congrats if aplicable

19. f355red

f355red Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    K-town NC
    Full Name:
    todd tanner
    yes, thats the one. interesting in that it used to be comedian tyler perry's car

20. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    +1, looks superb. Enjoy her.

21. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Todd, looks like a sweetheart. Can't wait to see it out!