Does anyone know this 328.. | FerrariChat

Does anyone know this 328..

Discussion in '308/328' started by Island Time, Dec 1, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    Don't know anything about it, but it sure looks like a real one. That was a good buy for that car. Not a steal, but certainly market or slightly less.
    I love 328s with the concave wheels...

Spang

2. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    I haven't seen the car.

I got the paperwork. paperwork's pretty, and complete. the first owner is in Birmingham AL. He was anal. Been covered since new. 2 years ago when this guy bought it. never been worked on by anyone other than dealer, for what that's worth.

Anyway, He said everything works, electical, smooth shift, etc.. hope it's as nice as it looks. I should be getting it next week.

It's my first ferrari.

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Congratulations, it looks like a beauty!

4. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    Congrats on your new 328. Red and Tan looks so nice.

5. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Nice F-car .. must have been behind mine a few spots .. mine is 76289, Feb. 1988 build date. Same color combo. We are one of the few 88's that are not 88.5's with the convex wheels but with other 88.5 features (like that black plastic surround on the outside door handles). Congrads.

6. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    Again, it looks real nice, I'm sure you'll love it. If not, it won't be hard to recoup your investment at that price. You don't see many around that clean for under $60K.

Have fun with it and put some miles on it...they're way too low. :)

Spang

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    +1

8. Red 328 GTS

Red 328 GTS Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Well done and congrats...........

Welcome to the 328 Owners Club.

Bob.

9. Island Time

Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    I know about the physical differences in the suspension versions (older vs revised).

Is any real world, day to day, differences felt in the handling, ride, etc? (looks like mine has the older, by a few #'s)

Thanks

10. newgentry

newgentry Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hey Dave, I'm just up the road from you, in Johnson City. New to this board, but I'm also busily engaged in trying to find a good 328. There's a couple over in Greensboro that I'm going to try and take a look at this week. If it works at least we can cooperate on figuring out where to get them worked on, right? :) Keep in touch, if you know of any others that I should consider give me a shout. Congrats on your acquisition, hope I can find one that nice.

11. Island Time

Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    My brother owned a plane parts company close to the Johnson city airport. I've kept many a plane there (investments).

Not many Fcars around these parts huh gentry? LOL

When I saw your thread on servicing. Made me think of this guy I know in Dandridge, TN. Works on alot of Fcars. Some of 'em fchatters!

I'll keep an eye out! Let's get you in one!! I need someone to go driving with! LOL

I'm always looking at stuff like this, no expert LOL haha at all, just like looking, and shopping (window). I'm probably going to look harder that ever now that I"ve got one to see what I missed! LOL

w

12. Island Time

Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    When I see something interesting, I'll run it your way

13. newgentry

newgentry Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Well, the world gets smaller and smaller. I'm very familiar with that parts company, and that airport. Flown in and out of there hundreds of times - I'm an attorney by trade, and I specialize in aviation law. One of my better clients had a maintenance shop there for awhile too. We definitely need to get together soon, if only so you can take me for a spin in the new ride. Man, what a great Christmas present.

14. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    congratts on your new ride,did you get a ppi,or you yhaought you had enought info to go for it? enjoy

15. Island Time

Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    LOL hail no. What do you think I'm trying to get info for AFTER I bought it!?!!!

I"ve never even drivin a Ferrari! I've only sat in one, and that was a 360 at a dealership in NC!! So, to answer your question, I'm a stubborn headed guy who's just wanted to see what owning, and driving one, is all about. And, I'm scared to death about the whole affair!!

There's just not any of these rides down here in E. Tenn. to speak of. No excuse, I know I could have found one somewhere, but no excuse. I wanted something RAW, VICERAL, and FUN. I've been looking, and ponderin' for 4 years about owning one. I had decided on a 308, 328, testa, 330, then back to a 308 (can't afford the 330 anymore) Almost bought a 328 bought a couple of years back, but chickened out. Anyway...I've done everthing you guys told me not to, and nothing you've told me to do!! (except for read read and read somemore...so I know just enough to go and get myself into trouble!!) :)

We'll see how this all comes together!! So far so good. But, of course, I've not got to see, drive, start, run, look at, or have any inspections done yet it yet. Other than that? (both owners have served to ease my mind somewhat). Seriously though, I may run it over here to a mechanic friend of mine, and let him give it a "once over". Both owners told me it's been babied, and I believe them, for the most part.

Men, I'll tell ya truth...I'm gonna be happy if it starts!!!

Already I can see that on the major in '05, the tensioner bearings were not replaced. Evidently that is a "Inspection" item only at dealerships. That's the only thing I don't like so far, from what I can tell.

I promise to keep everyone posted, as further developments occur.

Current status report: Car is scheduled to be picked up Monday (tomorrow) at seller's house by Horseless carraige transport.

STAY TUNED!!!

Dave

16. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    well, congratts on the car I see from the e-bay that it comes with tools and books that good some of aren't that lucky to have them,enjoy

17. Island Time

Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    Everything I've learned about these cars, I've learned from you guys though. And I'm very very appreciative of that. In the end, I choose the 328 because of what you all have said about it being a good "entry level" car for a novice like myself.

Also, There are no dealers close to here. so I wanted something that was "late" enough that it still was fairly modern mechanically, but not so modern that it cannot be worked on by my local mechanic (one of the things that kept me off of a 360).

I figured the 328 would serve all of these purposes. Simple enough, late model enough, and a good car to "test the waters" so to speak. Anyway, thank you all for the help for so long. Seriously, I couldn't, or wouldn't of, done it without your all's help.

Talkin' about it gets me all excited. I've no one else to tell !!!!!!!! I"m single, and it's not like I can pick the phone up and say..."Hello, I just bought a Ferrari, who's calling please?"

18. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    There have to be women in Tennessee. A lot of those country singers are female.

19. show time

show time Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Great find!! Welcome!

I was in shock when I first bought mine...that wore off after about a month...I turned 72,000 miles last week...enjoy it and have fun!

20. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    Dave,
    I like you're style...and honesty. I think you pulled the trigger on the right car for you and your logic is very sound concerning servicing a 328. A 348 would have probably worked as well, but once you get into the OBD II cars, some things just can't be done by a local shop. 328s are simple to work on and if your mechanic is at all competent and can read, you should have no trouble getting it serviced. If the tensioner bearings concern you, have them replaced and new belts put on. That will buy you 3-5 years depending on who you ask. I roll with 5 on mine but others swear you'll die if you don't change them at 3 years.

Best of luck with it and I'm sure you'll keep us posted on how it turns out.

Spang

P.S. Agree with Bullfighter...go get yourself one of those country singer girls. They're hotter than Hooters chicks...and I hate country music! :)

21. mondialmike88

mondialmike88 Karting

Aug 16, 2007
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The 328 you bought looks like an excellent example congrats.I bought my first fcar in july and have been having a blast I have put
    almost 3000 miles since i got mine I have mondial 3.2 same engine as you it had 16800 miles when I got it.with some acutal use the car devloped some oil leaks as aged seals will leak when sitting and then used.

22. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I hope you're mechanically inclined. The 328 is actually a pretty good machine, mechanically. CIS has been put into enough VW/Audis that it's not the dark side of the moon, either.

But one thing I've learned about Italian cars is that regular maintenance is critical. There are lots of fiddly little bits that all have to work right, or you start getting "surprises" during your drives.

Now for some people, these "surprises" are part of a Ferrari's charm -- for a while. But I've found that a 328 can be "daily driver" level reliability --- IF you have a good mechanic to service it religiously.

There may be a reason why there are few of these cars where there are no mechanics for them.

The 328 is actually a rather pleasant car to work on, other than the tight quarters in the engine bay. So far, I've found none of the harsh surprises that other cars hand you. Well, one weird thing is that the vacuum advance sensor is *inside* the computer box, so you can't change it out separately. But mechanically, the 328 is what engineers call "elegant".

Of course, you need a wide variety of metric tools, and CIS requires specialized parts. Look for your local NAPA auto parts and ACE hardware.

And look around. Sometimes there are former Ferrari mechanics hiding in odd places. (I had my water pump rebuilt by a former Ferrari dealer mechanic whose private shop had to shift from Alfas to Saabs and Volvos when Alfas faded from the US market.)

I don't mean to get you too paranoid about there not being a local dealership. Ferrari only used CIS for 10 years, and the mechanical systems are pretty bulletproof, so dealers are much better at Webber carbs and modern OBD cars than at CIS. They just don't have that much experience fixing CIS.

But it's reassuring to know, when you tear into a 328 yourself, that there's someplace you can ship the car if you get in over your head.

One bit of advice: STOP looking at prices. You have yours. Write off the money. If you keep looking at prices, you'll keep wondering what extra miles will do to the "resale", and be afraid to drive it. And Italian cars rot faster sitting in the garage than running on the roads. Forget "resale" and drive the wheels off it. It's not what it costs, it's what you get out of it, for the money.

To me, the former owners who only racked up 14K on the clock in 19 years didn't get their money's worth. I added 15K to my 328 in the first three years. But since the services are "15K or 3 years", I figure 5K per year is just about right. ;)

And that's my rambling free advice (and worth about what you paid for it :p)

23. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    Congrats on a fine looking car, drive and enjoy her in good health. Mine is an early '88 S/N 75029 so its a little older than yours. Drive her often (13,000 mile in the last 2 years)