Wheels & Keels Annapolis Yacht Club event | FerrariChat

Wheels & Keels Annapolis Yacht Club event

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by ALPO, Dec 3, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ALPO

ALPO Formula 3

May 13, 2005
    Annapolis area
    Full Name:
    alpo
    #1 ALPO, Dec 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mark your calendars now!
    Annual Ananpolis Yacht Club car & boat show...AND, celebrating Annapolis' 300 Year birthday.

Sept 30th, 2008 0930am reg - 4:00pm

Informal gathering, cash for food and drink (and probably a nominal $20 donation to the kid's Junior Sailing program)

Next year, on September 20, 2008, we will again hold the AYC Keels & Wheels car and boat show, for the benefit of the AYC Junior Fleet.

We expect to be a part of the Annapolis 300th Birthday Celebration and are planning an “After Party” at the Club.

If you are interested in participating, please complete the information below and send it via email to:

Bill Nalley - 1927 Old Annapolis Bvd. - Annapolis, MD 21409 email – [email protected]

Name ____________________________________ Email_____________ Phone__________________

Boat:
    Year _________Make________________ Model_____________ Name_________________ Length___________

Car:
    Year ________ Make _________________ Model ____________

Would you be interested in attending an “After Party” at AYC? Y N

Do you have any suggestions for the 2008 Show? _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Sounds like another good time... Is that one of Bruce's designs your standing on?

3. ALPO

ALPO Formula 3

May 13, 2005
    Annapolis area
    Full Name:
    alpo
    Is the correct date of the Keels & Wheels event at Annapolis Yacht Club

4. ALPO

ALPO Formula 3

May 13, 2005
    Annapolis area
    Full Name:
    alpo
    was one of several boats designed by FCA-MAR member Bruce Farr http://www.farrdesign.com/team.html

5. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    That's a serious looking sail boat. How much keel? Must be fun to slap sails in the bay!

regards

ken

6. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Is the wheel that big normally? Never seen one before I guess...

7. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    looking at the photo there's actually two wheels...

8. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    One to steer left and one to steer right...

9. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    dunno.... not a sailor... maybe it's like turning your amp up to 11 instead of ten

10. BornFree

BornFree Karting

Oct 16, 2005
    Severna Park, MD
    Full Name:
    Dave Born
    How fast can you go? Can you get a ticket for speeding? What's the deal with two steering wheels? Does it have paddle shifters?

11. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Nah my car doesn't go fast enough to get a ticket... no matter how fast I peddle. :)

12. Square

Square Rookie

Mar 7, 2007
    SE Va
    Full Name:
    Fred Garrett
    If I am not mistaken, the purpose of having the two steering wheels is so the helmsman can choose the side with the best visibility. As for why the visibility would be that different at the two wheels, that is caused by the boat sailing more closely on it's side, than on it's bottom during the upwind (sailing closer than 90 degrees to the wind) portions of the voyage/race.

13. ALPO

ALPO Formula 3

May 13, 2005
    Annapolis area
    Full Name:
    alpo
    Visibility AND to get weight on the windward side -- these guys cut their toothbrush in half to save weight, interior isn't painted to save weight, etc.

14. ALPO

ALPO Formula 3

May 13, 2005
    Annapolis area
    Full Name:
    alpo
    see URL for Volvo 70 design specs...my little 32' racer sailboat only draws 6 feet :)

http://www.farrdesign.com/545.htm

15. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    i painted an ex cup farr design 80 years ago that was purchased from the school. down below was like a freaking metal drum with rocks being thrown against it. and that was at port!

16. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    That thing is bad ass.

Al, forgive my ignorance because I don't know squat about sailing, but are those hulls carbon or kevlar? I would think that as much money that is being throw at those vessels, exotic composites would play a role in construction.

Also, doesn't the Volvo tour come through Baltimore? I would be interested in seeing those first hand.

Spang

P.S. Darron could you score us some credentials to see them up close and personal?

17. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    you really look young for your age. what's the secret?

18. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    didn't know you had a race boat. let me know if you need 210lbs of ballast.

19. ALPO

ALPO Formula 3

May 13, 2005
    Annapolis area
    Full Name:
    alpo
    apllications being sought, but you will have to be compatible w/Born Free who sailed the 2007 season w/me (and did very well). I bought the boat mid-season and we placed 3rd in Wed Highpoint out of a fleet of ~26 boats. New suit of North 3DL sails (and spinnaker). Must like Heinneken beer or BYOB. PM me privately for details about Wed Night racing on the Severn River/Round Bay (Severna Park) -- meet at our dock and beer/pizza party after every 6-race series. Racing team name = White & Nerdy Racing. No yelling allowed on the boat...ever.

20. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    corrrection.. an 80ft Farr design . it was about 12 yrs ago.

21. ferrari detailer

Dec 3, 2007
    miami fla
    #21 ferrari detailer, Dec 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    who is born free? have north sails on my 27ft. haven't been wed racing in a long time. i even help clean up after! i can live with heinies. but i'll bmob.

23. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    while we are at it, i also want a ride on your boat. i'm thinkin south florida? be there for cav.

24. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I should get a job in car Detailing ;)

25. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    looks like chris should have stayed in it.