how many 308/328 owners have records from day 1 delivery of car | FerrariChat

how many 308/328 owners have records from day 1 delivery of car

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ferraripilot, Dec 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Out of curiousity, how many owners have 100% or near 100% complete records from day one of their cars selling? I seem to hear from many that they have a few docs from when the car first sold, or they have records starting from 1979 and the car is a 1977.

For those of you who do have all records from day one, what was the first thing to go wrong with the car? My car came in for an errant 2nd and 3rd gear syncro after 200 miles on the car.

2. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Good question. I have pretty much everything for my 77. It was in the shop before 500 miles, I'll look tonight to see what the issues were. Some things over the years were repeat offenders.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have all the records from day one of my 1989 328GTS. I think the first actual repair work is the passenger side fan at around 2,550 miles. But that was just this past fall on its final drive before winter storage. I'll be getting that fixed when it comes out of storage in the spring.

Best regards,
    Dino

4. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I have them for mine, except for the past 1 year of ownership before me, as the P.O. did his own work. It goes back to 1986, all 70,000 miles.

5. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    the 1.2 and 1.5 milage coupons were used. but, no sign of any actual repairs until the 7.5 service..

repair targa top locating pin
    sticky throttle pedal
    Light in fan switch out on pax side
    touch up front black spoiler paint
    touch up rock chip on LF quarter panel

2 rear tires lol

'88 328 It's hard for me to believe that's all went wrong with this car when new...hard to know what's NOT here

6. JOEL D.

JOEL D. Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joel DeLuca
    I've got everything from day 1, first in the shop @600 miles (13months old) for door lock actuators which Ferrari would not cover as car was 1 month out of warranty!! I lived with manual lock forthe next 20 years and finally fixed them this summer!

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I do. All the way back to the first service. Everything. I bought mine from the majority owner of the dealership that sold it new originally. They took it back on a trade and sold it again. He ended up with it years later and just handed me the thick folder when I bought the car from him.

Something may be missing but considering what I do have, it cannot be very important.

8. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    I have records from day one including service coupon book, weird little consumer information brochures and even the California registration renewal forms that indicated that the car was not registered for the road for a number of years. I have an appraisal that a previous owner had done ($59,000 in 1989!). The first service record was at 2600 miles. It included Service - Minor Tune up, Oil Change, Lube and Wax. Total cost $200.33. Included in the total was the entry "Polish Ferrari" - cost $48.00. (That was what the wax was used for, it is not the country of origin.)

It's fun to look over all the old records. They are kept in plastic leaves in a three ring binder. I'm the third owner in a line of increasingly obsessive compulsive owners.

77GTB

9. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have records from day 1 on my 89 328 GTB. The first repair was replacing a leaking heater valve in 1998. I bought the car in 2001 and had to get the tach fixed (pretty standard on 3.2 motors). I had a couple of oil leaks fixed, one of which was caused by previous mechanic's negligence and that's been it. I think I'll keep it.

Dave

10. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    I have with me the records of a 1984 Mondial with 96,000 miles on it that I was considering in buying. The stack of receipts is about half inch thick. LOTS of things went wrong with this car. Hoses, alternator not charging, leaking calipers, broken AC compressor, melted fuse box, doors not working, window motors not working, paint detail, etc. etc.

Do you folks see the same things with your Ferraris? Or am I looking at a lemon here? Or is it that the rest of the "low mileage" Ferraris have not caught up with this one that was used as a daily driver?

11. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I think you're describing a car that should have a lot of history. 96K and 1984. Compression numbers previously posted look pretty good for an older car. Hopefully priced accordingly. From what I've heard no lemon here.

Jeff

12. ASFJr

ASFJr Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2004
    SF, CA & NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Alfonso Faustino
    Hi, LvFerrariPilot.

I have a 1988 328 GTS and all the service records from day 1, and I posted all her service activities on my website: http://www.AlfonsoFaustino.com.

Just scroll down to the mid-page and click on "Ferrari 328 GTS Major & Minor Service Activities."

Check 6.

/s/ Alfonso

13. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I do on my TR. Right down to a photocopy of the cashiers check used to purchase the car and copies of the origianl registrations and title.

14. ferrariguyma

ferrariguyma Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    3 ring binder of every service record from 1979 when car was originally sold at Continental Motors in IL

- first service was to adjust drivers door striker at 750 miles

- first owner started a spiral notebook logbook/diary on the car, listing fill ups, mileage, destinations, events, oil changes. Second, Third and Fourth owner kept them up.

Car was serviced at Ferrari dealers until 1988 and then it went to independents F garages.

a real 16,498 (well) documented miles car.

- window sticker
    - dealer added options sticker\
    - cancelled check for purchase in 1979
    - all consumer brochures
    - clock tag
    - keys/keyfob
    - blaupunkt stereo cassette manual

15. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    My current 328 is missing it's original pouch and most of the books but it has pretty much every record and service receipt from day one. That is one of the reasons I bought the car. It was bought new in San Francisco and it stayed there, with the original owner, until maybe 4 or 5 years ago. The records are thick!

My first 328 ('89 Azzurro car) had amazing records as well but it was even more complete. It had all of the books, tools, original pouch, etc plus most if not all of the records and the original window sticker, bill of sale, etc. Awesome documentation. Do I need to say again that I regret selling it? :(

16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Records here only back 8 years. I suppose it would be nice to find the rest of them, but the car runs great, compression is strong and even on the original engine, history is clean, so I admit I'm kind of indifferent to who did the oil changes in 1991, etc.

I have the original books/pouch/keys/tools.

17. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I have receipts from day 1 of its arrival at my house, does that count? Currently at 6 years, 4 months, and counting. Amazing all the crap I've done to that car.

18. mid328

mid328 Karting

May 4, 2006
    Glen burnie, Md
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I have every conceivable document on my car from time of order it is a 89 328, but we have owned the car since day one , the order form starts it all !!!!!

19. TwinOne

TwinOne Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    Mizar V
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I have everything back to and including the original bil of sale, odometer statement, tax receipts....... All service performed at FAF Motorcars, FoA, Lake Forest Sports Cars and Continental Ferrari. Car has 24K on the clock.

20. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I have everything back to its date of sale. My car was serviced regularly and had no issues which required attention. The original owner replaced the thermoreactor muffler with an ANSA Sport system in 1982.

21. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The records on my 1986 328 GTS date back to 1992. I recently purchased a three-ring binder and clear mylar sleeves to organize and present all the receipts. It's fascinating to track the use of the car, particularly the slow or fast accumulation of miles, depending on the time of year. I've got the books and warranty card, tools, extra bulbs and fuses, etc. Also got a real relic of the '80's...a vinyl bra for the front! Never use it, of course. I also don't use the targa cover or the full-car cover, as my garage stays basically dust-free.

22. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    #22 SMS, Dec 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yeah, just rub it in...

Here is a binder set up like you described for a QV I looked at. It was real nice, and the previous owner even wrote up misc notes for things he did himself and put them in proper order. (Including washes, what type wax used, etc..!)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Wow I thought my previous owner was detailed in his documents! It is sufficient to say 100% documents is good to have, but not 100% necessary as long as most of them are there and the car is tip top.

Regarding the Mondial someone posted about earlier with so many issues: I do not know what would classify a classic Ferrari as a lemon. Wasn't really too much to them to go awry. Would it just be little issues with brakes, electrics, or would it have to be something majorly wrong such as a drivetrain issue? My car had a 2nd AND 3rd gear syncro issue when it was still a brand new car, which I believe to be some sort of human error at the factory (shifts perfectly hot or cold after 81k miles). No other electrical bits issues other than the occasional bad relay or ground. I would hardly classify it as a lemon since considering how Porsche reliable it has been for me, and neither would I consider the Mondial a lemon. I read the drivetrain was solid. The other stuff is easily sortable IMO.

24. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I have nothing. Previous owner passed away. I have the name of the owner before that, but am not sure if he lived in El Paso or San Antonio and the last name is Perez or Martinez...so there's only like 3,000,000 people with that last name in Texas.

I got a 308 GT4 repair manual when I bought it. But that was it, no owners manual, no tool pouch, no records, nada. I do know from conversations with the previous owner that he had the belts and water pump replaced.

Aaron

25. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    I also have every paper for my 1989 GTS, including the order deposit invoice, sales invoice, window stricker, service coupon book, and records of every service. My car has not required any repairs, only routine and major interval services, during its 15,000 mile lifetime. Guess I'm one lucky dude!