Scuderia SSS Republica di Venezia Comte Volpi | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Scuderia SSS Republica di Venezia Comte Volpi

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 250gto, Nov 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    Very cool. Nice photos Peter, thanks for sharing :)

2. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    Those shots were incredible. That wing on the back was neat. I can't imagine the aerodynamics where tremendously stablizing at speed. It must have been a hoot to drive in anger.

regards

ken

3. Sire Bruno de Losckley

Aug 1, 2006
    in 1967, Bruce Mc Laren to be gone up on first F1 car, V8
    Serenissima, contruit by Alberto Massimino (ex Ferrari) and
    to develop by Alf Francis (ex mecanic S Moss)

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm, confused. Bruces first drives in F1 were with Cooper, partnering Jack Brabham ...

Pete

5. Patrick Faucompre

Mar 3, 2005
    Bruce Mclarenbuilt its first formula One in 1966: the M2B. He made two chassis M2B 1 and M2B 2
    M2B1 was the mallite chassi previously used when testing tires for Firestone in Riverside. It received the Ford Indy magnesium quad cam engine reduced in capacity from 4.2 down to tye new FIA regulation of 3 Liters. This car is today with a family friend in Silver Spring, Maryland. Ron Dennis sent an engineer who started McLaren in the fist days at Woking who came and authentified the car.
    M2B 2 is the spare chassis who received the lighter but not very powerfull V8 Serenissima engine. This car is now at the Donington collection of Tom Weatcroft in England.
    I can recognize some chassis parts of that yellow Sereniussima to be very close to the McLaren chassis, but this is not a McLaren M2B chassis as such, but most probably an Italian production.
    Patrick

6. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I guess this is why he decided to let others do the driving. Anyone out there have info on what car this was that he crashed. Magnifying the front end it looks like a Ferrari badge and what's left looks like a Scaglietti Mondiale or Monza body. Any ideas??? tongascrew

7. Sire Bruno de Losckley

Aug 1, 2006

not I speak about the first car make by Bruce Mc Laren

8. relivingthe60's

Dec 4, 2007
    It's taken me a while to track down this thread, but it's been worth it. I have ignored Ferarri forums 'till now, but still do not consider myself "Tifossi". However I am a huge motor racing and racing history fan.
    I have a photograph my father took of me and my brother in a garage in the town of Le Mans in June of 1962 along side a Ferarri. Not being well versed in Ferarri history, it's type and ownership were a mystery. Until now. It is of the #15 Jo Bonnier/ Dan Gurney 250 TRI/61 which retired due to gearbox failure after only 4 hours. Scuderia SSS had three entries that I am aware of, the 250 "Breadvan" which suffered the same fate as the Bonnier/Gurney car and the Vaccarella/Scarlatti 250 GTO which went out at 15hours with engine troubles. In those days, it was possible to wander into the midst of greatness without even knowing it. Try getting in to a top team's garage these days.
    If there is any interest, I will attempt to scan and post the image. I would certainly be interested in any images Count Volpi or any others have from this era. This is the only photograph I have ever seen of this car in this configuration. Countless web searches have been fruitless. If the Count is inclined, I'm sure many will join me in urging him to share more from "the golden era of motorsport".

9. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    If you go to post #44 of this thread, you have a photo of Count Volpi with his Testa-Rossa #0792.
    It would be nice if you could scan and post your photo in the Le Mans garage. Thanks.

10. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #160 GIOTTO, Dec 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have this ad from 1987 in my files... Serenissima 308V with Fantuzzi body #007. The car was entered in Le Mans 1966 but did not start (same car in post #136, in this thread). After that, Conte Volpi used it as a street car. Engine was from an Alfa-Romeo Montreal... Was later owned by Hansuli Büchi in Switzerland. Were is this car today?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Intriguing car.
    I wonder if it has survived.

12. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
  13. rodolfo

rodolfo Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2007
    Mexico
    Great thread. i love the 250 GTO Breadvan.

Thanks for sahring so many memories...

Gracias Conde Volpi

14. KJER

KJER Karting

May 30, 2006
    I wish you were right Krasnavian , but the Serenissima and SSS "com sites" has been in the waiting for nearly 2 years now !

15. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
  16. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #166 GIOTTO, Jan 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    Notice that it still had the 'Matthew Ettinger' nose reconstruction at the time the photo was taken.

18. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Not a really nice nose... It's better now, after another restauration.

19. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    Agreed.

20. hackrider

hackrider Karting

Feb 9, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This is a request to CDM,

I'm trying to research a car that I recently acquired. In the early seventies Mr Volpi produced a film/documentary, "Fangio life at 300kph" I believe that it was released in the early seventies and again in 1981. The car, Maserati 250F recreation with a 2 liter Alfa motor, that was supposed to have been one of several autos built for the film. The film was never released in the USA. I think the car was built in his factory. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hack

1957 MASERATI 250 F GRAND PRIX RACER (RE-CREATION)

[​IMG]

21. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    If you are on about this film.... http://www.fangiofilm.com/
    Then i think you'll find Jenks was the early and original official technical advisor to the Volpi/Hudson film.
    I believe thre will be some form of footage available this year via a DVD.

22. hackrider

hackrider Karting

Feb 9, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Great. I've ordered his book. I hope they do release it here or at least advertise it. I believe that the car was built between 1968 to 1971 when or before they began shooting the film in Panama.

Hack

23. Motorace

Motorace Rookie

Jul 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dan Eastwood
    Count Volpi - I cannot thank you enough for all the rich history you contributed to racing in the early 1960's and for the support you gave to Bizzarrinni, Chiti, and all the rest when they needed a place to re-group after Ferrari. Thank you especially for now taking the time to respond to these threads with significant historical information.

I am compiling a portfolio of information on the history of Franco Scaglione, and have written posts elsewhere in this forum to make his contributions to automotive design better known. I would love to read ANY insights you can recall regarding his selection as the designer for the 1962 ATS 2500 GT Berlinetta.

I read in your posting (above) that you felt the car was ugly.
    Was this just your feeling at the time (perhaps it was too radical for it's day?) - or do you still feel that way today?

He had just left a very successful career at Bertone at the time. Do you recall if he had incorporated himself as new "Design House", or was he just a freelancer/consultant?

Were you involved in the process of selecting the designer? and if so, what was that process like? Did you request many other designers to submit proposals or was he the only one you wroked with?

Do you recall how much he was paid for his work on the ATS and was it a fixed fee for the entire job or by the hour?

Are there any insights you can share about his personality?

I could ask a dozen more questions, but let's start here.

Your Serenissima team made several other beautiful sports/racing cars - about which it is very difficult to find information - even on the web. My personal library includes over 6,000 automotive books, yet I am very hugely frustrated when searching for information on Serenissima. Please, please work with someone to make sure a comprehensive book is written on the history of these beautiful cars and the involvement of the many historically significant personalities you worked with. Your perspective is vitally important as a balance and a supplement to the few, all-too-brief articles published to date.

Thanking you in advance...

24. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    Although John Berendt's book, The City of Falling Angels, is about the city of Venice and deals with its inhabitants at the time of the Fenice fire and its aftermath, Count Volpi makes two appearances in the book that are very interesting and provide a perspective on the man apart from the world of automobiles. The second vignette is worthy of a well-written film script; if only life were always so satisfactory!

25. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I thought that was a very enjoyable book as well, and the parts about Count Volpi, in addition to the things in this thread, do paint an interesting picture. Quite a guy, really! And quite a life.