86 TR Straman convertible on Ebay (not mine) | FerrariChat

86 TR Straman convertible on Ebay (not mine)

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by James in Denver, Dec 5, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abolfaz

abolfaz Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    Coral Gables
    "bumping" stereo...

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    you mean to tell me you have to open the rear deck lid and pump fuel through like that ?

I see that working.

keep your eyes open for news at 11 ;)

3. flaviaman

flaviaman Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Vernonia, OR
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    There is (or at least was) a white Straman chopped TR that I used to occasionally drive, filling it was gas was always an adventure. Exhaust fumes filled the cabin when driving at low speeds, it was a pile of poo. Still for a young single guy it could "pull birds"!

Don't even ask about the soft top. Or chassis flex.

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The only possible license plate for that car is "OutRun"

5. abolfaz

abolfaz Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    Coral Gables
    Any more insight into the Straman conversions? With the exception of the rims, goofy paintwork on the front bumper and the "bumping" stereo, I love the way the car looks w/o the top.

6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'd love to put a Koenig kit on it :)

7. ndnguyen

ndnguyen Karting

Jul 27, 2005
    How does one tell if the conversion was done by Straman? Thanks.

Nguyen

8. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    looks good, should make a nice boulevard cruiser. and the dash looks nice too.

9. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Straman did almost all of the TR conversions to the best of my knowledge.

I think the car looks fantastic! And it doesn't even have gold wheels or an ostrich interior! (William H, I mean no offense). This would be a GREAT car to cruise around in - put tubis on it and just cruise around listening to it rev - could be VERY sweet. I wish I had the $$ and the place to put it.

10. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    $85k seems a bit high and the seats seem to be recovered in ford taurus leather, other than that, it is a pretty cool ride. I would prefer the black one used by MJ in the pepsi comercial.

11. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    There's a very similar one around the corner from my parents' house, belongs to the father of a girl I went to to school with........ a lo-o-o-ong time ago. Always interesting to see it out, which is rare these days. He used to have a 275 GTB, even lo-o-o-onger ago.

12. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    What about the statement by the seller that Straman is the only one apprved by Ferrari to mod their cars?

13. 90koenigTR

90koenigTR Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    I. P. Freely
    Clean execution. Interior looks cherry. Shoulda left the area behind the front grill black though

14. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Sweet car, aside from the front grill, amps, radio, wheels, etc... I think a convertible TR is a great thing. I personally had a poster of one on my wall as a kid growing up and would love to live the dream today. I can't imagine how that thing sounds :)

15. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    well, I kinda like it. It takes a real individual to buy a car like this and lots of guts too. It wouldn't work for me, but to each his own. It'll be interesting to watch, and see what the value of these conversions is in the future.
    Keep an eye out for my old Norwood 348 twin turbo in March/April issue of Forza.

16. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm betting that the Straman conversions do well in the future - when do Ferrari convertibles fare poorly, even the newly chopped Daytonas? I don't think they will greatly outpace regular TRs though, although I think that all TRs will see a great improvement in value over time.

That's my bet at least

17. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I love the look of it, definitely a nice cruiser.

18. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Out of curiousity, how many F512Ms did Stramann do, besides the WILLIAM H Slootmobile? I'm assuming Stramann did teh Sloot. :D

19. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I thought the whole point of Straman getting out of the country is that he was doing things that were not authorized. Can someone tell me if this ad is correct and Straman was actually authorized by Ferrari to do this. I have a different recollection of all that. In fact, I thought Pepsi got into a lot of trouble because they converted (using Straman) the first one for a commercial with Michael Jackson. Remember the second Michael Jackson Pepsi commercial was the one where his head blew up--before he voluntarily blew up his face with all the surgery.

20. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Yes the Slutmobile is a Straman

as far as I know F never authorized straman to chop any of their cars

The only authorized chopper I know of is NART

21. testarossa717

testarossa717 Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2007
    NY/NJ
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    William is right. Ferrari never commisioned Straman. There was only one factory authorized TR conv and that was totaled by the owner's(believe he was the CEO) son. William, do you have to lift the rear bonnet to get to the gas tank on yours? Like Big Red said, that has to be a bit impratical to say the least. I know how easy the shocks for the bonnet goes(I had to replace mine). I would hate to lift the gate everytime I had to fill up. Also, like someone had previously mentioned, do you have any problem with the fumes from the gas tank coming into the interior portion of the car? The neck of that gas tank has to be lying right against the firewall.

22. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I just hate to see (probably unknowing) sellers say stuff like that. It immediately calls attention to the fact that they are either fluffing or just don't know. It detracts from the presentation and offering.

It's not to my taste but someone will like it.

23. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #24 WILLIAM H, Dec 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mine was 1 of the last Straman TRs so he learned a lot by then. My 512M is stiffer than my 308QV or my 93 Corvette roadster. The car has a large pan under the gas cap to catch any fuel and a hose to route the gas down vertically and away from the engine

as for the engine fumes I added a roll bar w a plastic shield which stops that from happening
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. CanuckCarguy

CanuckCarguy Rookie

Jul 20, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    I think the car looks terrific. I'm partial to that color combination in any event.

I'm just always a bit wary of a fresh paint job, but this should be a fun car for somebody.