Advice on oil needed for tapping into Alum. | FerrariChat

Advice on oil needed for tapping into Alum.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by christopher, Dec 3, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Hey Guys,

Can anyone recommend the type of oil or wax (or otherwise) needed to tap into aluminum?

I'll be tapping new threads into the engine block to accommodate a brand new heartier hose water union for my 79 308 GTB.

Thanks Guys,

Chris.

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher

Believe it or not about the best thing out there is WD-40. There is a product call alumtap that is one of the few things I've found that work better, but you won't have a problem with the wd-40

3. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Granger is a pretty good generic source for cutting/tapping fluids and sprays. No good machine supply houses around DC anymore. Can't even start up the lathe without hitting a lawyer with the chips but can't go out and buy a ball end mill without driving to Baltimore.

4. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    Nitro brand cutting fluid

5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk

ROFL!!

6. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
  7. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
  8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    +1

I was put onto WD-40 as a cutting/tapping fluid by the Mini-Lathe & Mini-Mill guys awhile ago. It really does a great job. Most regular cutting/tapping fluids don't do that well with Al.

9. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    X3
    tapmagic (aluminum version) is what I use when drilling and/or tapping aluminum in the machine shop at work. A very thin fluid that allows taps to go through aluminum as if it was soft butter.

10. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Has anyone tried the tapmagic aluminum as a cutting fluid?

11. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I've used the alumtap as a cutting fluid and it works very well, but I've never tried the tapmagic

12. Roadtripguy

Roadtripguy Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    I buy all my machine shop supplies right on line. Check out Grizzly, MSC, and littlemachineshop.. Heck, lots of good stuff on eBay as well. Not only do I get my stuff on line, but it is WAY cheaper than the local supply house.

Just my $.02

13. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Guys,

Thanks to everyone that responded to my question!

Wow, strong ringing endorsements on "Tap Magic".

Thank you very much Guys!

Chris

14. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I try to by online as well since no one local. www.useenco.com as well for the chinese stuff. Get on the mailing list for hot deals. Haven't heard of Littlemachineshop? I'll have to look that one up. If you are in the mid atlantic you have to go to the Cabin Fever Expo. Look it up online. Sponsored by Home Shop Machinist Mag. Fantastic show. Should be coming up this month. Amazing things people have built plus workshops and vendors.

15. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  16. Roadtripguy

Roadtripguy Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    I have both a Chinese minimill (which I converted to R8 and CNC), and also a minilathe. They are both inexpensive and wildly popular, and can be bought from a variety of sources. My minmill is from Grizzly and my minilathe is from Micromark (they are another good source also). Under $600 each for the machines, and well worth it for me. I can make pretty much what I need for my cars right at home. (how many times do you need a custom bushing or bracket, or have to tap a PERFECT hole?).

Naturally, they aren't the best machines in the world, but for the price, they're first rate, and "support" for parts is pretty impressive.

Littlemachineshop stocks ALL, and I mean ALL of the spares for these machines, as well as a large variety of tooling for them. Chris over there is extremely helpful. Nice company. Good prices.

17. Roadtripguy

Roadtripguy Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    I'm familiar with Cabin Fever. Those guys make some pretty impressive things. WAY out of my league.

18. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    A lot of magic stuff out there, but believe me or not. The best lubrication for tapping or drilling into aluminium is methylated alcohol.

Best regards from Germany

Martin

19. alvin582

alvin582 Karting
    BANNED

Sep 25, 2007
    I haven't tried it before, but my friend recommends me to try the tap magic, and these days I searched some online, found this one
    http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?deal_id=71740
    How do you think of it?

20. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #20 KKRace, Dec 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I bought this Square Column mill/drill from MSC a few years ago. Enco and MSC are the same company but Enco is much cheaper. I bought this from MSC becuase I wanted the Rong Fu(tiawan ) instead of the clone made in China. I was too cheap to pay for the third axis on the DRO so I made my own out of a cheap digital caliper.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Roadtripguy

Roadtripguy Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    Nice rig, and nice size. My mill is a bit limited in X and Y travel due to it's size. This has messed me up on a few non-auto projects (but for my car stuff, it's adequate). For example, I have CNC plans that I drew for a mechanical grandfather clock that I designed, but my machine is too small to cut some of the biggest gears. Bummer.

I like CNC though. VERY fun to play with, since I converted. The conversion also solved the VERY weak Z axis problem that is common with minimills of my type. I do some custom engraving for a friend who builds custom electric guitars on my machine on occasion, among other assorted projects. My friend is an autocad ACE, and I have the right programs to clean up his drawings, and convert to G code. VERY fun. Some of the best money I think I've spent.

I'll try to take a few snaps of my rig this weekend.