Need help planning trip to Aspen | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Need help planning trip to Aspen

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by mambodave, Nov 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #26 PhilNotHill, Dec 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    We are now at 22" and it's still snowing. It's sick. ;)

3. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    70" in the last 7 days. 30" in the last 3 days.

AND IT'S STILL SNOWING! :)

4. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    42" IN THE LAST 48 HRS.

life is good

5. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    We got 24 inches plus over here on the dry side of the divide. To think I was driving the Ferraris Monday and Tuesday. Looks like they will be resting for a while now. I don't know how good life is. It took 4 hours using my snow blower to clear 600 feet of driveway. Usually the wind clears most of it, but no wind this time. 24 inches from front to back.

Best,
    Dave

6. -AC

-AC Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 4, 2004
    Colorado
    I hate winter.

7. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It definitely is! It is still snowing in Fort Collins, but it is not even close to the amount you got:(

8. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    About 6-7" of snow in Chicago but roads are clean ,so I keep driving the 599....

9. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Got over 50" at Aspen Highlands over the last 3 days.

Life is good.

Since we live in a condo the driveway is plowed by the staff.

Life is better. ;)

10. Imola2001

Imola2001 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2005
    SoCO & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mike C.
    I've been down at Crested Butte (home now)- over 7 feet of snow over the past week!

Still yet to pick up a snow shovel since moving to CO for the driveway :)

11. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    With all the snow it looks like a Currier and Ives Painting in Aspen. Fabulous.

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!

PNH

12. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I hope Aspen/Pitkin Airport is open on Friday?

13. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
  14. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Still don't know my landing time ,waiting for "lottery" results.
    Probably the only airport in the World ,overcrowded with private jets....

15. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Skico reports that this year has the best skiing conditions in Aspen for December since 1983!

Life is good. ;)

16. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    December snowfall approaches record
    Troy Hooper - Aspen Daily News Staff Writer
    Snowfall in Aspen is inching towards a December record.

Look no further than the buried cars, grinning skiers and official statistics to see that this December already boasts Aspen's second biggest snowfall total since the city began collecting such data in the 1930s. As of yesterday morning, there were 57.4 inches recorded for December at the city's official weather station at the water plant. Snow continuously dropped from the sky yesterday and more was in the forecast, so by today the 1953 mark of 58.3 inches is expected to be exceeded.

END OF ASPEN DAILY NEWS ARTICLE

Life is good. ;)

17. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Lets hope the good times keep going...we plan to come up in Feb/March

18. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Mon 12/31/2007 09:00PM MST

It's been a December to remember for skiers, snowboarders

Six weeks ago, skiers and snowboarders were dancing and chanting around a 45-foot-high bonfire as they paid homage to Ullr, the Norse god of winter.

Frustrated with the balmy weather and scant precipitation of November, the snow lovers tossed old skis into the flames as a sacrificial gesture to Ullr, who they prayed would deliver heavy snow to their fair mountain town.

Coincidence or not, the snow arrived within a matter of days.

And it hasn't stopped.

On Monday, Aspen Skiing Co. officials announced that Snowmass Ski Area set a record for the biggest snowfall total for the month of December since officials began keeping track of such data in 1934. Officials said they measured 119 inches, or nearly 10 feet, on the slopes of Snowmass - 2 more inches than the previous record set in 1983. The 98-inch snow total at Aspen Mountain is the second biggest on record for the month of December, just 4 inches shy of its previous record, also set in 1983.

Indeed, it has been a December to remember.

"It's been sensational," said venerable ski industry pioneer Klaus Obermeyer, who has lived in the area since 1947. "Not only did it snow a lot but it has been cold enough to dry that snow out and make it champagne powder. You can be in 2 feet of snow and just float down the mountain."

Across the state, ski resorts are boasting some of the best conditions in memory. Wolf Creek has the deepest base in the state with 116 inches at its summit. When it opened for the season in November, Wolf Creek only had 10 inches. Other Colorado resorts delayed their openings or cranked up the lifts with limited terrain.

Just days before Vail was scheduled to open, professional skier and longtime resident Chris Anthony was pedaling his mountain bike on November's snow-barren slopes. Now he's relishing Vail's winter wonderland.

"It's awesome. We've had consistent snowfall and the snow has been really soft," said Anthony, adding that this is one of the best starts to the season Vail has had in the 28 years he's lived there.

Whether the bountiful snowfall turns into big business for Colorado's ski resorts remains to be seen.
    In 2006, Colorado Ski Country USA, a trade group representing 26 of the state's ski resorts, reported a record-setting 3.29 million skier visits through Dec. 31. Officials aren't expecting to break that mark this year.

"We're looking pretty strong. I don't know if we're at record numbers, but the snow in December definitely helped us," said Nick Bohnenkamp, communications coordinator for Colorado Ski Country USA.

Bohnenkamp expects this month's copious snowfall to translate into increased business in the spring, when many of the same vacationers over the holidays will return to get last turns before the season's end.

Meanwhile, SkiCo officials continue to get the word out about the snow in Aspen and Snowmass, nicknaming the month "Deepcember," and issuing a steady stream of press releases.

"This year, we have snow in high quantity and quality. The density of the snowpack is perfect and allowed us to open virtually all 5,000 acres in time for the holidays," SkiCo President and CEO Mike Kaplan said in a prepared statement Monday. "These are by far the best conditions I have experienced in my 15 years in Aspen/Snowmass."

Aspen resident Andrew Scott, who helped mastermind the aforementioned Ullr ritual, said another bonfire is in the works this spring. But it will be different than the last, he noted, as the fire won't beckon Ullr for more snow.

"This time I think we should thank the gods," he said.

[email protected]

19. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    We also set a record over here on the "dry" side of the divide in BV. I don't know the official total yet, but we exceeded 30 inches for the month versus an average of 5. and the prvious record was about 22. I last drove a Ferrari Dec. 5. It's been non stop snow and cold since. Have no idea when I'll get them out again. It's been so cold (minus 7.7 last night) nothing has melted. I have a giant snow pile near my garage from where I had to keep clearing drifted in snow. I may start a pool on it's final melt date. Today is beautiful with brilliant Colorado blue skies and no wind for a change though still cold.

Happy New Year,
    Dave

20. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    18" of powpow on Snowmass and Highlands and it is still snowing with more forecast. 13" on Ajax.

Life is good. ;)

21. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Just got back from Aspen.
    Best skiing ever for entire stay there.(A bit cold though on New Year's Eve and Tuesday)

22. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I lived in Illinois for over 30 years. Now THAT'S COLD! ;)

It's 31F today and still snowing.

23. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    It's sunny today and 10" of powpow.

The slopes are calling.

Have a nice day. ;)

Life is good. ;)

24. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Skiing was fabulous yesterday. sunny in the morning. 5" of fresh champaign powder.

Supposed to get 11" more today. Wow.

Winterskol is in full swing with bands, fireworks Saturday Night and tonight (Friday) Soupskol where the best restaurants compete for the publics choice of the best soup. From 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM and it's free.

25. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa