Boxer? | FerrariChat

Boxer?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by NOWANNABE65, Dec 9, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NOWANNABE65

NOWANNABE65 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC
    Hello everyone,

I would like to buy a Boxer. I have never seen one but have an appointment to see a 1984 black Boxer tomorrow from the gentleman that I bought a Murcielago Roadster from. My preference is Red with Tan interior but black will do. Will repainting the car red destroy the car`s value? Which generation Boxer is the most desireable and most expensive? Some Ferrari Gurus tell me the carburated Boxers are the only onces that will be a collectible while others tell me that the 1984 is the best ones to get? A friend of mine told me that repainting the vehicle a different color does not matter with Ferraris. I have seen Boxers sell for $65,000 a while ago and now its trading around $100+. If I can get some advise, it would greatly be appreciated. I think Boxers are extremely unique looking vehicles and would like to purchase one as soon as possible and have it refurbished during the winter months so it can be ready for the spring season.

GLC

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Repainting the car red if done properly wont hurt the value. I like black on a boxer but own a red one, wish mine was black. As far as which is most valuable goes, generally the 365BB is the most expensive and the injected cars are next in line over the BB512's. The injected cars are easier to smog certify which may be why they can command more than the carbed 512. Condition is more likely to be great on an injected car as well due to the age of them. I prefer the look of the injected engine over the carbed one, the car starts easy and never stalls, is the most refined of the series and one point that is probably unimportant to most is the injected car sips fuel. I mean I can hop in my car with a 1/4 tank and drive more than an hour without fear of running out of gas, maybe 2 hrs. Its not the cost but the comfort of knowing I wont get stranded if I dont know where every gas station is. The injected car has the most torque and can still do 175MPH so its no slug. Price-wise you get what you pay for like anything else, avoid a $65K boxer unless you want to throw $40K more into it. If you buy one just to get one then paint it to suit your needs you'll be upside down in the car fast. Buy a red on tan one if thats what you want rather than make one and save the black one for someone that wants a black one.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    As Newman says, repainting it red, if done properly, shouldn't hurt the value. However, I wouldn't bother as red boxers are hardly in short supply, and frankly the world doesn't need another one.

Newman, is that true that the injected cars get better gas mileage? I will certainly admit that the gas mileage on my carb car is horrendous-- sometimes I try to forget that the odometer is in kms!

4. NOWANNABE65

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC
    Thanks for the informative information, Mr. Newman. I am almost 99.9% sure I will purchase the black Boxer. I know there are several Boxers in the market which I can get it for less and they are the red ones that I really, really love. They are much cheaper (10-15% ) than the black one I am about to purchase but the main reason I am set with the black one is because I know and trust the seller. I just bought a 2006 Murcielago Roadster from him and have developed a good friendship with him and is someone that I can really trust. The black Boxer can be bought for $118,000, but needs a full engine out service. It has 17,000 km and can use a full restoration. I think Boxers is a real true classic car. You compare my 360 Spider, 550 Maranello, or Barchetta, these cars look like mass produced Fiats compared to the Boxer, which looks very classic. Do not take me wrong, I love the cars that I have, but I think it would be real cool having a piece of Ferrari history. The cheapest Ferrari I have is a 1988 Testarossa, yet it is one of my favorites. I would have paid double or triple for the Testarossa. I guess its because it was my first Ferrari. I bought my first T Testarossa in early 2003 and wrecked it in July 2004 (thanks to Coors and Cognac). I eventually bought another one earlier this year for $60k. Again, thank you for your valueable advice.

Gustan
    [email protected]
    847-774-8246

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yes the car's fuel economy is unbelievable, Ive never kept track of it but its great on fuel.

6. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    If you are marketing a car to a collector, who has interest in a factory example-than yes, it will hurt the value of the car. If it is just a casual enthusiast, they will probably accept a non-original color that looks good. If the car increases in price significantly, you will lose even more money with a non-factory colored car. The more collectable a car, the more people look for originality.

Carbs or F.I. ? After the carbs are set correctly and you drive the car on a regular basis, you should not have problems with the Webers for years. If you want the car to sit a little more between drives, it is probably best to consider the F.I. unit-unless of course you like to spend time under the rear bonnet.

In addition, I assume most F.I. cars have been babied a little more over the years. Why ? This is because at the time the F.I. cars were brand new, the Boxer was worth a lot of dinero. With cars bringing 200/300K in 80's money, some owners simply parked it and trashed the key.

7. NOWANNABE65

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC
    Thanks for the input. What you are saying does make all the sense in the world. I should just leave the black Boxer black and live with it instead of being a comedian and have a morphodite. Every time I purchase a car I think I will keep it forever and it turns out I sell it an lose at least 40% without fail.

Gustan

8. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson

In that case, keep me in mind when you go to sell it!

When you look at this car, remember that the Boxer is an individual's car - not a corporate version of a sports car. It was built by an individual who likely said something derogatory in Italian about "not compromising" on selling this car to the U.S. or anybody who didn't "get it". So if it hits you right, you'll just wonder how others let these cars get passed by over the years... but now are awakening to.

If you end up with the black car, you may forgive the less-than-perfect color for you just on this emotional attraction. I guess what I'm saying is that these cars grow on you over time. If you later wanted to go with another original color with a full-blown resto, I think others could find that grow on them as well. Keep us posted.

9. Boxer512

Boxer512 Rookie

Sep 20, 2021
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Timothy Hayes
    Recently purchased a 1983 512 bbi boxer in very good condition with 23k miles would like to know from experts on these cars what are the weak points of these cars which will not be abused and maintained properly. Which is the best place to obtain parts, air filter, fuel pump, etc… is their a newsletter for these models. Car has catalytic converter should keep this or change to original muffler. Do not like hexagon knock offs would prefer original winged knock offs where can these be purchased. Car has new belt and clutch how many miles before belt change

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    hello timothy
    first gradulation to your boxer
    but before you ask here would be great if you could introduce yourself a little that the other knows on what technical level you are. also complete your profile
    enjoy the car

per904 likes this.
  11. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Not wanting to start a BB vs. BBi thing, but if you can get a BB for cheaper than an i, I would get it. I have not seen that before. Both are rare in North America (hard to buy or sell) but in Europe the BBi is a fair bit cheaper. In full disclosure, I have a BB and love it, and the few examples of an i I have been in are a little slower, but are more civilized. I guess it depends on what you are after.

12. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Ooops. Wow. Just noticed - really old thread… apologies.

13. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Congratulations on acquiring a 512BBi!!!

You will get your questions about sources here on FChat. Lots of experts here including Newman. I think he knows every nut and bolt on any Boxer. Also if you are not a member I suggest joining the Ferrari Club of America. The club has many Boxer owners that you can learn from.

Where are you in NC. I am up in the mountains near Maggie Valley. I have an 81 BB. Maybe we can meet up some day for a drive.