Centre Cap alignment? | FerrariChat

Centre Cap alignment?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Hud, Dec 9, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    How many of you insist on having your centrecaps all perfectly aligned? I know that this is a requirement for concours (as is the horse being upright) but do any of you strive for this level of perfection on your car?

2. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade Rob,

The only way this could be achieved is by the process engineered by Rolls Royce on the Phantom.

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

3. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    are but that is at all times.... i just mean when stationary. So for instance on my strad, one horse (or pony come to think of it) is lying on his back, the other is bolt upright :)

4. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade Robert,

But even if you went to the trouble of jacking the car off the ground and lining them all up you would still find that within two miles they would all be facing in different directions.

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

5. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    But with a little pressure i am certain it might be possible to hand turn the caps :confused:

6. alsaautomotive

alsaautomotive Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2005
    Wales, UK.
    Full Name:
    Al
    I look after a former Autoglym Jag & the owner insists that when tyres are changed, or when he periodically buys new wires (which is a necessity thanks to MWS!!!!!!!), that the lettering on the tyre appears in the same place relative to the valve on each wheel!!!!!

7. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    No way !!!!!!!!!! That is beyond anal :D

8. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade alsaautomotive,

I see nothing wrong whatsoever with someone paying attention to detail if that is their wont. I had not considered this before, but when new tyres are fitted then why not have them placed in the way that you have suggested?

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

9. alsaautomotive

Dec 9, 2005
    Wales, UK.
    Full Name:
    Al
    Mr Road Burner Sir, I spend plenty of time sorting door gaps & getting levels right & aligning srew heads correctly (not that anyone notices eh Rob:D)
    But I do find it slightly extreme, it doesn't affect the condition of the car & when it first came to me he had already succumbed to all these 'foibles' & the car had not won anything more than a local show. Sorting the paint & gaps raised the car to another level.
    I have mellowed somewhat over the years & these days would rather see a good & well used car rather than, as Rob said, become anal about it.

10. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade alsaautomotive,

I do not understand the contextual aspect of 'anal' and the way in which it has fallen into the day to day lexicon of so many these days. So what is actually intended when someone says, as you have done 'become anal about it?'

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

11. alsaautomotive

Dec 9, 2005
    Wales, UK.
    Full Name:
    Al
    Dear Mr 512 Tea Are Sir, just that there appears to be a point at which attention to detail becomes obsession (which I freely admit I have issues with as above with gaps & alignment of screw heads), there is then a further level at which this becomes an overriding necessity as per the gentlemen owner of the Etype I care for. To the point that every slightly oxidised engine bay nut is replaced annually (despite the car no longer being on the concours circuit)

12. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade alsautomotive,

Yes, you have conveyed the nuance most epexegetically. However, I cannot grasp why this degree of obsession came to be termed 'anal' though.

Many thanks.

All good wishes.

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

13. Ferrari_Michael

Ferrari_Michael Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2006
    I did notice ALL of the prancing horse were bolt upright then taken in context of the valve location on the rim, consider the 'top' of the rim is when the valve it at the 12 o'clock position, then all of my horses are perfectly 'rampante'. Some one at my dealership is 'anal'.

14. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    :D

Is this on your Enzo ?

15. Ferrari_Michael

Nov 30, 2006
    No the F430, there is only a few ways you can get it on the enzo, 3/4 different locations, there is an allen key bolt going through the edge of the center cap on the Enzo, with two thread locations, so angles of mounting are limited, belive me, i try to be 'anal' when the Enzo is parked, it just never plays ball :)

16. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    :) I know it can be a nighmare with them.....

17. Ferrari_Michael

Nov 30, 2006
    I must admit to having to have the steering wheel straight before i start the car, am I the only one?

18. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Wonky here :)

19. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I had a professional photographer take a load of pics of my Strad recently, and I am ashamed to say, on the close ups I made sure the horse was upright.

Am I sick doctor????? :D:D:D