Removal of body piece under door...need help | FerrariChat

Removal of body piece under door...need help

Discussion in '348/355' started by campbell53, Dec 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. campbell53

campbell53 Karting

Oct 5, 2006
    HI,
    I can't find any info on this particular piece. Daniel has been nice enough to email me exploded diagrams of bodywork but I haven't been able to find what I need (and I hate to keep bothering him). Here is the deal: I want to remove for repainting the right hand lower body piece that runs from behind the front wheel, under the door sill (up until now held on by screws..no big deal) to the front of the rear wheel. It is the area behind the door pillar to the wheel that has me confused. Do I need to remove the rear wheel see how it is attached behind/underneath the splash guard? This seems like an easy deal but I'm famous for 5 min jobs taking an hour. So any help with this is appreciated.

2. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    The rocker box or the door sill??

3. campbell53

campbell53 Karting

Oct 5, 2006
    I'm not sure I know the difference of what you are asking. The piece I am referring to is the plastic body piece that contains the lower side air intake. The metal door kick plate (that I am replacing with carbon) was glued to part of this piece. I apologize for the lousy description. This should be a no brainer but I cannot figure out how this part attaches to the body behind the door. Possibly some sort of clip?

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#4 Ricambi America, Dec 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Three screws under the weather stripping and glued on to the outboard edge. That is what holds the piece that you will be replacing with "carbon fiber".

Check out Daniels diagram shows #16 is one of them. There are three, one at each end and one (#16) in the middle.

6. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm looking to remove the door sills on my 355 to hopefully powder coat. From Daniels diagram it appears there are (3?) screws underneath the black rubber Ferrari strip. As mentioned this metal strip is somewhat "flimsy" and I assume it bends easy. I am thinking of using a heat gun on the black metal sill to "soften" the adhesive holding it down. Has anyone tried this approach?

7. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I have yet to see anyone get the door sills off w/o bending them. They have a metal strip in them that bends easily. For what it would cost to get the old ones powdercoated--I would get new ones or even better carbon fiber ones..

8. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    spatula slide underneath to help pry it up. it most likely has doubleface tape on the perimeters

9. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    It is not doubleface tape but a really thick sticky glue, I agree with 285ferrari "I have yet to see anyone get the door sills off w/o bending them."

10. Valence

Valence Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris& Brian Coffing
    Good luck. (no offense)

11. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good suggestion. Hope with a little heat that this might work. Of course I'll have to see if the part is worth refinishing once I get it off.

Otherwise I guess replacement time!

12. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Steve, the adhesive is a very thick, sticky glue that hardens like a brick---I don't think heat is going to help it..

13. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA
    #13 pino, Dec 10, 2007
    As stated above, it is extremely difficult to remove the original door sill without bending it.
    Your best bet it to replace with carbon or a new piece, because the old one usually doesn't survive R&R.

Sorry for the awful cell phone pic, but my wife snagged all the digital camera memory cards, but you get the gist.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Point taken. Either way I still need to remove the old sills to replace with new ones. Maybe I'll take some photos of my attempt. It might make for some good yuks, especially if I have a meltdown trying to remove the old ones!

Still a little confused on the mounting. From the diagram, it looks like there are screws under the vinyl Ferrari strip, but on the CF units it appears there are 3 screw holes from mounting close to the door seal weatherstrip. One or the other, or both?

15. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA
    On my car, there were three screws under the weather stripping (closest to the interior) and there was one big sheet metal type screw under the Ferrari rubber strip sort of in the middle, but closer to the rear wheel.
    Most replacement carbon fiber sills do away with the screw under the Ferrari strip. Also, it gets kind of tricky in the area near the front, just need to use more patience that brute force in that area.

Have fun, but wear a pair of heavy gloves and eye protection, because the metal edge is sharp, and the black paint starts flaking off along with any rust that is underneath.

best,
    pino

16. Valence

Valence Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris& Brian Coffing
    should be no screw under rubber strip

17. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA
    #17 pino, Dec 10, 2007
    Well, I don't know what to say, but for purposes of my own sanity, I dug the little guys up.

These are what came out of my car:
    1st pic are the screws (I remember them being bigger for some reason :')

2nd shows the underside of the rubber strip where the screw left a rust stain
    (notice the position of the screw was much closer to the rear wheel than I noted above)

3rd is a gratuitous blurry shot of the sill

4th is the other area I had some trouble with (after the mystery screw was found)

18. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for all the input guys. Getting all my ducks in a row for winter projects. From the way it looks, I'm getting more addicted to the CF sill look. My schedule is pretty busy until January when I can really spend some time working on the car. Been filling up a 3 ring binder with project notes, started ordering some parts. I try to document my projects and post them as I go.

19. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Can't be done?

Well, I just did two. First one I didn’t know about the screw under the rubber so it has a very slight curve to it that I believe will present no problem on re-assembly.

The second one came out perfectly flat.

All you need is a lot of patience and the Ferrari Door Sill Remover Tool Part # 707633461, or its generic equivalent which can probably be found in one of the kitchen drawers. A 10” cake spatula. The spatula has to be straight, not the curved kind.

Remove the three screws under the weathers striping, and the one under the rubber sill.

Tap spatula in under the sill, but do not ever pry up. Just keep pushing the spatula, tapping with a hammer, and levering back and forth all along the sill.

Eventually you will separate the sill from the grey sticky adhesive.

After you get about halfway you can put something under the sill about ¼ inch thick to hold it up which makes it a bit easier.

Just remember it’s really important to never pry up, only sideways