Early photos of 0834? | FerrariChat

Early photos of 0834?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by EnzoNZ, Dec 10, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    #1 EnzoNZ, Dec 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm looking for early '65 photos of Dino 166 P 0834. I was looking through my cartons of unstarted kits and came across a pair of resin Record kits of 0834 at Le Mans in 1965 (#40). I'll make one up as such and the other as either #53 (Monza) or #31(Nurburgring)

Does anyone have any photos of 0834 before it had its roof removed in mid '65?

All I can find is David's photo from Le Mans.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
  3. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #4 P4Replica, Dec 10, 2007
    Is that the best you can do, Macca ? :rolleyes:

O.K., here's a few rather better ones. Starting with a super colour photo of #0834 At Le Mans in '65, by the late Geoff Goddard.

Courtesey of Dave M. (dm_n_stuff), and with permission of Doug Nye. Image is STRICTLY COPYRIGHT The Grand Prix Library. ©

4. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #5 P4Replica, Dec 10, 2007
    Couple of nice ones, that I've just scanned from Alan Henry's superb book: 'Ferrari Prototype Era (1962-1973 in photographs)'.

Two colour shots of #0834 at the Nurburgring in '65; front views in the pits. Mauro Forghieri in the upper one, and Lorenzo Bandini below.

Images are presumably copyright LAT Photographic ©, who are credited with supplying the majority of photographs for that book.

5. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    Thank you to the Pauls. The resin bodies are quite accurate. On the Le Mans shot, doe anyone know if the band across the top of the windscrceen is dark blue or black?

6. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #7 P4Replica, Dec 10, 2007
    Couple more nice B&W photos of #0834 that I've just scanned from Cavalleria #10* - Ferrari Dino 206S by Christian Huet & Pietro Carrieri.

Upper is #53 at the Monza 1000Kms in '65; lower photo shows Ludovico Scarfiotti on his way to winning the Trento-Bondone hillclimb.

Both images are credited to, and copyright The Adriano Cimarosti Collection ©.

* There are quite a few more images of #0834, both in it's original berlinetta form, and in later cut-down 'montagna spyder' form in the early part of this book. However, due to the rather weak spine binding that appears to afflict all the Cavalleria series books, I'm sorry, but I'm not prepared to stretch mine out, fully open over my scanner bed, beyond these two images. Suggest you get yourself a copy. ;)

7. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    More to follow, tomorrow, possibly - time permitting. Had a nice phone chat with Doug Nye this evening, during which I mentioned that I might like to scan and post a few images of #0834 from his book, Dino: The Little Ferrari V6 and V8 Racing and Road Cars 1957 to 1979.

See this Amazon link: http://www.amazon.ca/Dino-Little-Ferrari-Racing-Road/dp/0760320101/ref=sr_1_12/701-3112463-3088324?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197333800&sr=1-12

Doug said 'Yes - by all means' (with the usual DCN provisos, naturally). :)

Yes, they do indeed look very good - not much cleaning up required either, from the look of things.

Got some other stuff I might dig out tomorrow, besides my copy of Doug's book - including, possibly, my little 1:32 Dino 166P slot car. ;)

8. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    As I said, Paul, I was at work............you've put up all the book ones - how about those from magazines?

Enzo, is that a Tenariv kit?

Paul M

9. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    Paul - no they are 'Record'. Nice body castings, limited parts. I'll fabricate additional detail as needed.

I note from the photos shown that it appears as if the front winglets were only on for Le Mans (Mulsanne straight?). I'll cut them off for the Monza/Nurburgring one.

10. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    Interesting, 'Record' don't seem to be around now - it looks very similar in detailing to a Tenariv kit of a Ferrari P2/3 that I have. In a book about Ferrari 1/43 models there are some photos of a Dino 166 kit by a firm called Eco-models, wonder if it the same kit.

Paul, you haven't scanned the b/w's from the Prunet book..................:-(

Yes, the winglets were only at Le Mans.

11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I'll check the original photo, or the scan at work today. The original may be stored away right now.

Photoshop sample thinks it's purple, running towards black. I suspect it was a dark gray in reality.

Dave

12. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #13 P4Replica, Dec 11, 2007
    Not quite 'all' yet, Macca. More to follow soon. ;)
    In the meantime, here's a (not so good quality) scan of a photo from Dominique Pascal's book: 'Ferraris at Le Mans', below.
    Give me a clue, Paul. Is it a copy of 'Model Cars' or 'Miniature Auto' that I'm looking for ? :confused:

13. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #14 P4Replica, Dec 11, 2007
    Gimme a chance, Macca !! Anybody ever tell you that use more dots in your posts than me ? :D

Scanned from Antoine Prunet's book: Ferrari - Sports Racing and Prototype Competition Cars ....

Factory press photos and engine compartment. Photos are captioned:
    The Geoff Goddard photo of #0834 at the Nurburgring, at bottom, appears in several other publications, and is copyright Doug Nye's Grand Prix Library ©.

14. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#15 dm_n_stuff, Dec 11, 2007
    Detail here. Looks to be dark blue, and it's three pieces of tape.

DM

15. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #16 P4Replica, Dec 11, 2007
    First this B&W one, scanned from Doug Nye's book - another shot from the Trento-Bondone hillclimb.

16. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
  17. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #18 P4Replica, Dec 11, 2007
    But THIS is the image that I'd remembered from Doug's book. A gorgeous colour photo of a gorgeous little car. Doug's caption reads:
    Reproduced with kind permission of Doug Nye. :)

18. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    I'd go along with that, Dave. ;)

19. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    Interesting that in the link I posted of the garage, there are no nose-tabs; then in the practise photo they are unpainted; and before the (short) race they are painted.

Paul M

20. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Note also, from your (DCN) garage photo; David Castelhano's in post #1, and the one I uploaded of #0834 at Le Mans in post #13 ....
    .... that (the strips of dark blue) windscreen tape wasn't present for very long, either. ;)

21. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #22 P4Replica, Dec 11, 2007
    Answered my own question. :)

Model Cars (MAP modelling magazine), April 1966 issue, Prototype Parade N°. 213. Pages 187 -189.

Andy. If you'd like the larger versions of these scans (approx 1100x1500 and 700KB per page), PM me your email address.

22. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #23 P4Replica, Dec 11, 2007
    Francis Muller ('GIOTTO') just emailed me this super B&W photo of #0834, taken in the paddock at Le Mans in 1965.

In his email, Francis wrote:
    Well - I'll name the 'easy one' (before Macca does).
    The gentleman with the full beard and glasses in a T-shirt, facing away from camera is, of course, the legendary motoring correspondent: 'Jenks' (a.k.a. 'DSJ') - Denis Jenkinson. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Jenkinson

23. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    Thanks guys - I have no excuses for not making up correct models now :)

I notice in this last paddock photo the car does not have the front winglets yet. I wonder if they were added only after seeing the performance in practice?