308 cylinder number one location | FerrariChat

308 cylinder number one location

Discussion in '308/328' started by cavallo_nero, Dec 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    I know its in the rear bank, driver or passenger side????
    thanks

2. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Depends on LHD or RHD :):).

Ignoring driver or passenger...

Front
    Rear

So, US LHD car has #1 on the passenger side.

Hope that helps.

Seamus

3. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    thanks for the answer and the little graphic. i am setting up my brand new electromotive coil packs and tecgt module. i thought this was where number one was, just making sure.

4. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Giovanni,

Aren't the cylinder numbers imprinted on your valve covers? They are on my '78. Just remember that the numbering on the front bank starts on the driver's side (LHD car) as was shown:
    Front
    Rear

If you wire the Electromotive with 5 opposite 1, the car won't run very well. [Edit: Duh. I take that back. IIRC, 5 and 8 are wired to the same coil, and 6 and 7 are wired to the other. Because this is a lost spark system, both plugs are firing at the same time, but only one is on the compression stroke, the other is on exhaust, so only one fires even though both cylinders get spark. So you can't really make a mistake. The only importance of cylinder 1 is to find TDC, and just be sure that you are on TDC on compression stroke, not exhaust. You need TDC to set up the timing ring on the damper and properly place the crank sensor.]

I did my car with the Electromotive last spring, and it came out great, IMHO. The car runs so well now, and starts right up, it's a pleasure. Consider mounting the control unit, relays, and connectors in the trunk, to protect them from the weather. I mounted the coils at the driver's side on a bracket from Wade on this site. Nice piece of aluminum. He also made me end caps for the distributor mounts on the head/valve covers. I'll try to post a picture of the setup later so you can see how it looks.

Steve

5. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #5 308 GTB, Dec 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    thanks you guys. my valve covers are numbered 1234 on the rear and 1234 on the front - go figure. i just noticed th e numbering on the air cleaner box - duh!!! yes, one coil for 2 cylinders and there is a waste spark to help scavenge unburnt fuel. i am almost ready to fire it up with just the tecgt controling spark. next step after that is to yank the carbs and put on the throtle bodies - a long winter project. perhaps i will start another thread to that effect. i am fabricating a lot of parts to accomodate teh throttle bodies - mainly for IAC. many sensors to deal with, air temp, water temp, MAP, O2, crank trigger, throttle position, IAC control.......

7. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Yes, that's the way the valve covers are numbered. 1234 on both sets (no 5678 on the covers).

Sounds like you are doing a lot of work on the engine. Hopefully, you'll take lots of pictures and lots of notes, and show us the progress and what you are doing. Always good to see the mods that others are doing. Good luck and let us know if she fires up for you.