308 GTS VIN NUMBER | FerrariChat

308 GTS VIN NUMBER

Discussion in '308/328' started by STEVE MAC, Dec 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. STEVE MAC

STEVE MAC Rookie

Dec 6, 2007
    Gold Coast Qld Aust
    Full Name:
    Stephen McManimm
    Hi All I am new to this site and only just bought a 308GTS. This may be a stupid question but is there any way of finding out from the build number any details of my 308. Items such as build date and options if any fitted. The chassis number is F106AS28291.
    Thanks Steve

2. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    you should have 17 letters and numbers not 11,try back when you have them all

3. mr308

mr308 Karting

Aug 3, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Alex C
  4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Welcome and congrats Steve, what year 308 GTS do you have?
    The manufacture date should be on the driver side door jam.

5. STEVE MAC

STEVE MAC Rookie

Dec 6, 2007
    Gold Coast Qld Aust
    Full Name:
    Stephen McManimm
    Thanks for the replies. Mr 308 that site was a great help. It appears not all Ferries pre 1980 and not sold new in the USA have a 17 digit vin number and no build date inside door jam. Will the factory help with any information about build dates and where the car was first delivered.
    Thanks Steve

6. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Before 1980, most cars didn't have 17 digit numbers.

My car is 23329, built Jan. 1978. So the original poster's car was built later than that. Based on other cars here, we should be able to narrow down his build date fairly easily.

7. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Your car was probably manufactured early 1979 and you can get the colour certificate with date when you register at the Owners site whose address you'll find using 'search' - this is about the only specific information they give for free - as suggested by the other reply too you will find much information on this site in the same way

PS where are you ?

8. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    well I learned something new today ,I thought they all had 17vin#,my mistake!

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    F106AS28291
    F106A is the engine type: a 2V carb'd engine.

S indicates it a GTS,

28291 is the S/N which puts it about in the middle of the Carb'd 308 GTS production run (S/N 22619 - 34501).
    Hmm, looks like it was built in 1978 as '291 is between '257 & '325 which are 1978 308 GTB S/Ns.

10. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I should now add that it has just been pointed out to me that this aspect of the Owners website is down pending an upgrade

11. Dominic O Neill

Sep 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dominic O Neill
    Hello
    I have a 308 GTS manu date 8/3/83 VIN no ZFFLA13B000045065
    How can i find more information about it to verify its origin and history?
    thanks
    D

12. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    It'll be almost impossible to verify its history but as to its origin we can say with a fair level of certainty its a European spec car that came from the Ferrari factory in Italy - HTH !

13. Dominic O Neill

Sep 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dominic O Neill
    Ok, thanks - that's useful - it was the 'Made in China' badge that confused me....

mind you after the weekend I think I will be swapping it for a Mercedes.....

#LH44

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, at the risk of repeating myself for the upteenth time...
    Jimmie (aka "Greyboxer") is basically right: there is no accessible archives that could help in the matter, although:
    - by posting on forums like this, sometimes a stroke of luck might occur, as someone might have seen the car in the past: either in the flesh or in the adds.
    - you might want to try to play your own private investigator and write to those who have serviced the car in the past, but laws about privacy, depending on the different countries, might forbid that.

Otherwise, the factory in Maranello is itself under a lot of laws about privacy; so it might have some information about your car, probably at the time of its sale, but not necessarly on its further life and the successive owners (unless the car has always been serviced in the factory network for all its life). That doesn't mind because, due to the afore mentioned laws, they will not disclose anything on the matter.

Depending on the different countries, sometimes the importer might help IF (and that is a big if...) it has archives AND the successives steps in the life of the car has been recorded.
    "Maranello Concessionnaires", in the UK, for instance, is usually able to help at least on the sales dates and first owner. But that is the exception rather than the rule.

Considering its VIN, your car is an "euro" version.

Rgds

15. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    nerofer is right as always.

"I have a 308 GTS manu date 8/3/83 ….."
    Date of what ? Fisrt registration ? Delivery ? Production ? August 3, 1983 as american or March 8, 1983 as others country ?

Hard to answer you

16. Richard Fried

Richard Fried Rookie

Oct 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard Friedman
    I know its an old post but one of the Ferrari's I owned in the past vin # F106AS24739 was a 1978 Black 308GTS I just found my old registration with 11 numbers and letters. If the car ever turns up for sale please post it. I traded it in in 1997 for a new S class Mercedes in NJ

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    He's giving us the Frame Stamping...F106AS is a 308GTS spider...:D
    F106AB would be a coupe..

28291 is a pre 1981 typical 5 digit Ferrari VIN, as the GTS didn;t reach the US until 1978, and given Ferraris production rates it's "about right" for a 1979, 1980 at the latest when the current 21 digit VIN became a US law.

HTH

There were no options....LOL!
    Well, maybe 16" rims, A/C or no A/c, as well as the tinited glass were more marketig decisions, by Ferrari, IMO

The cars shipped no radio, with provisions for door speakers, but the mirrors, sport exhausts and even the wheel sizes were all dealer installed in those days..

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    One really has to look at the Title paperwork, as Ferraris were so rare then in the USA no state reliably formatted the paperwork the same.

Once I represented my car to TxDOT and the County, and then local Police, I discovered "per the Manual" the car should have been titled with MODEL designation, follwed by the short 5 digits. as in "308GTB22127" in my case as the VIN.

After lengthy discussion where local Police inspected the car for serial number hanky panky, I used the FRAME stamping as shown up abovewhich actually DOES have two five point stars in it, as VIN # F106AB*22127* and the County Office and the insurance company kind of shrugged and took my money and we went on down the road.

The next two cars, #22641 and the earlier 1976 #20405, went rather easier, but in Texas a 5 digit VIN (in modern times) is a Farm Implenent Trailer.

I never forget a Manager telling some hapless clerk:

Just hit OVER RIDE honey,. and sell that man some License tags!
    So she did...

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sorry I just realized this thread is so old the OP is most lkiely deceased.....as you were, gents!!