599 spider pics | FerrariChat

599 spider pics

Discussion in '612/599' started by intouch1, Dec 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BrianZuk

BrianZuk F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2007
    NorCal (Bay Area)
    Full Name:
    BrianZuk
    That is going to look amazing

2. supraman55

supraman55 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2006
    Full Name:
    Vladislav
    I do not think that these pics are even close to real 599 Spider to be launched. I do not see place for hard top retactable roof, but I know for 101% sure that 599 Spider will be equipped with such unique construction roof. And information source given on the pics is not so compentent to trust. These pics looks close to the PS work our F-chat memeber Michiel Mobiel have done some time ago, even name of the project is the same - California Spider. I do not think that it will be real name for future 599 Spider. This is well done PS work but, unfortunally, nothing else. Best.

3. YellowF50

YellowF50 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    K B
    Still looks nice though, even if it PS.

4. supraman55

Jun 16, 2006
    Full Name:
    Vladislav
    Thers is even no doubt about it is PS. And this PS is made by someone who do not know that Ferrari will never put Spyder name for their cars, because letter Y is for Maserati convertibles. Ferrari convertibles were all named Spider, not Spyder. Best.

5. NoJo

NoJo Karting

Aug 15, 2004
    Jerusalem
    Full Name:
    Noah Joseph
    It seems fairly straightforward to me what the car will be called: 599 GTS. It follows the same naming scheme Ferrari resucitated with the 599 GTB, B standing for Berlinetta and S standing for Spider.

I'm sure someone on this forum could provide a greater historical picture, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari had used Spyder with a Y at some point back in the day, even if all the contemporary roadsters (348/355/360/F430) have been labeled Spider with an I.

6. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    There is a 250 Spyder California, IIRC.

7. NoJo

NoJo Karting

Aug 15, 2004
    Jerusalem
    Full Name:
    Noah Joseph
    Well, there ya go...

8. till.a.fischer

till.a.fischer Karting

Oct 18, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Till Fischer
    I'd be very interested in some clarification: spider vs spyder

Was spyder really exclusively used by Maserati ?

Thank you

regards, Till

9. WJC

WJC Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Joe C.
    Ferrari has used spyder before but it was on old car(s). I remember Forza doing an article on it (I think the issue number was somewhere in the 20s).

10. Joe360

Joe360 Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2007
    Germany&Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Here's what Wikipedia says:

Quite a few SpYders...

11. supraman55

Jun 16, 2006
    Full Name:
    Vladislav
    I was speaking about latest Ferrari models only. I have made a little search-and-find work and found some interesting facts. As all F-Spyders were front-engined convertibles and all of them were one of the greatest convertibles of their time, so it is possible and quite logical that Ferrari can renew this historical name on 599 convertible. 599 is great Ferrari deserving that great name. Best.

12. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I remember reading something a year or two ago about Ferrari designing there own retractable hard top roof. The online article had an image with it that was a technical drawing. I saved it but now cannot locate this. Does anyone recall this article?