Daytona Rebuild | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Daytona Rebuild

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by TimRoper, May 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I am the great pretender

Dec 16, 2006
    #276 I am the great pretender, Dec 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    David

If I possibly can I'm going to keep her. I'm waiting to get planning permission to redevelop an old textile mill and that project is sucking all my funds and more at the moment. The Daytona is the last bit of colateral I own, but if I get planning permission by next May I hope to scrape through and should then be able to keep her. Attached photo of part of the mill.

Tim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. I am the great pretender

Dec 16, 2006
    #277 I am the great pretender, Dec 11, 2007
  3. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    WOW Tim you car looks fantastic, hope mine turns out as good.
    Are you going to retain the shell of the mill?
    Watch out for contaminated land because that is very expensive to sort.

4. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Beautiful job Tim.

Quite a few originality issues apparent in the underside shot. If you're intending a "concours" restoration, you might want to take it up with the restorer. e.g. caliper bolts should be black, not cad plated. Nylock nuts should have yellow inserts. Anti-roll bar bushes should be black rubber, not red. Sump pan nuts should be black, not silver. etc. All simple things and not expensive to rectify. Newco in the US have the nylock nuts btw. www.newcoproducts.com

I'm doing my brake calipers at the moment and its a PITA to get right. Inevitably, the plating shop that does the cad plating, doesn't do the blacking. So the bolts, bleed nipples and retaining plates have to go elsewhere. Double the running around and double the chance for bits to get mislaid.

5. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    These are the same calipers as on BMW 2002s (Daytona Rear) and BMW Bavarias (Daytona Front) for the BMW, however, they do plate the bolts in the same yellow dichromate (it was not cadmium back then) as the calipers. The difference between the BMW and Daytona brakes? The spacer is different between the calipers halves. Cheap way to get brakes if you need them though. Been there, done that.

Take a look at the picture in the Spring Rate Paint Code thread. That is what the suspension should look like. That is an original 2300 mile car.

Very pretty color for the car. It would look great on a 4cam as well.

Steve

6. I am the great pretender

Dec 16, 2006
    Thanks for the originality issues pointed out with the colour of the bolts etc, but I don't intend to concours the old girl, I intend to DRIVE IT !

Tim

7. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Hi Tim,

Thanks for the photos, but you can't quit! What happened to the notion of a nice new interior? Remember, darker beige leather and lighter carpet?

john

8. I am the great pretender

Dec 16, 2006
    #283 I am the great pretender, Dec 12, 2007
    John

I have been following the thread 'Patina or rust' in this section with not a little interest. At the moment I'm kind'a coming down on the side that the bodywork on my car was totally shot and certainly not the original finish (at least three coats of paint one on top of the other) so I had no choice and nothing to loose by renewing it where needed (a lot of it !).

However the engine and transmission were fine last time I drove it (two years ago !) so they have gone back in and if there is ever a problem with them they can easily come back out again. The argument that I have used on myself re the trim, is that it may look a little used, even after titivating up, but it is original (as far as I know) and reusing it will keep some of the charachter of a thirty five year old car as opposed to creating something that is brand spanking new. The only bit of leather that needs to be replaced is a very worn patch on the door side of the drivers seat that has been worn away near the stitching by previous owners owners getting in and out of the car. The interior trim especially the leather, to me is the bit of the car that gives it a lot of it's charachter and history (the smell of an old car).

Of course it may well be that I am deluding myself and that I am really just to 'tight' to spend any more money on her !

Tim

9. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Hi Tim,

At least consider replacing the seat insert strips with tan and add new tan carpets. It's worth it.

john

10. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    #285 shill288, Dec 12, 2007
    Tim,

I feel your pain. Attached are pictures of my original Daytona seats out of an original Daytona Spyder. I'm having the same debate. It looks like your vinyl strip as a different pattern than the cross hatch that is in mine. See the detailed second picture.

Steve

11. hg

hg Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    It looks from the photos that all the Daytona seats rip on the stiched side of the seat as mine did.

12. maximilian.szwaj

Nov 10, 2003
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Maximilian Szwaj
    Steve,
    did all Daytonas come with this pattern on the stripe? Would it be possible that earlier cars had a different one?
    Thanks,
    Max.

13. I am the great pretender

Dec 16, 2006
    John

Are your seat insert strips vinyl or leather and what pattern are they ?

Tim

14. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    If you would like to replace the straps, you should talk to Henk van Lith from "H.V.L Exclusive Italian Interiors" in Holland. ( www.carinteriors.nl )
    He owns the only original Ferrari-tool to reproduce these straps.

15. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Sorry Tim. I know very little about Daytonas. I believe shill288 (previous post) is an owner.

john

16. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Max,

I've seen two different types of patterns on the small strip on original Daytonas. One, like the one I posted, and another that looks like the previous post. But, it's hard to tell because picture was not detailed on the pattern. It's possible there is more. The best new production ones I've seen are by Mike Regalia. He also sells them to restoration shops. I have not seen the the strips made by the gentleman in Holland so I can't comment on those.

Steve

17. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    Whay with the current financial climate and my own business position I finally had to make that call and have very reluctantly agreed to sell her ! Deal to go through next week.

She is almost finished, we intend to fire up the engine next week, first time for 2 years.

Will post some pics of her sat on her new borranis and xwx's in all her restored glory. I have been following the post on the cut 365 GTC4 and find myself wondering if there is a RHD for sale anywhere.....

Tim

18. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Tim
    It's a great shame you won't be getting the enjoyment of driving your car after all the work that has been put in, but i fully understand your reasons for selling.
    Look forward to the photos.
    Grant

19. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    Well Tim, I certainly want to thank you for carrying us along on your rebuild journey.

I hope you got your money's worth in the deal!

20. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    in post # 280 there is mention of a "spring paint code thread". can someone provide a link to the thread? i tried the search w/ no luck.
    thanks,
    ed

21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Edward I found the thread for you and added a comment so it appears here in the Vintage section once again.
    CH

22. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    seems that tim finished the car and sold it on without posting final pics and he hasn't returned to fchat. anyone have finished pics?
    also, reading through the thread, a lot of people have disappeared over the yrs. sorry to see them go.
    ed

23. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #298 Wheels1, Jan 26, 2017
  24. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Interesting it is an early pop up car but has curved edges to the light pods.

Also wearing Borranis in that pic and now on Cromodoras in the pistonheads advert.

25. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    Late to the party, but that is a gorgeous color, and suits the shape so well. Shame you sold it. Is it a true slate gray, or does it have a hint of green to it?

Perry