Engine Lid - Sometimes Won;t Open - help. | FerrariChat

Engine Lid - Sometimes Won;t Open - help.

Discussion in '308/328' started by 76Steel, Dec 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hey everyone,

Well here is the new one from my Italian princess .... used to open great, but now when I push the lever to open the engine lid, only driver's side pops. Every once in while they both pop-up (with a few tries) and I can open the lid, but often enough it does not work?

Is there an adjustment that I can do while the lid is up to help?

Thanks in advance ....

Couple weeks away from a major service - can't wait to hear the results!

Mike.

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Before you go any further, locate the emergency release cable loop & make sure it's working. Next time it sticks, see if the emergency release works. This may give you a better idea where the problem is.

Since this just started, check the cables to the latches to make sure that one of the cable sections has't frayed & stretched. Make sure that nothing's pressing on the cable that shouldn't be. Also, check the plastic housing for the latch leaver to make sure it isn't cracked & letting the lever's pivot point move.

While you're checking them, lubricate the cables & latches with a light lube like white lithium grease.

There are several places to adjust he boot lid latch system:

- Adj the height & position of the U pieces in the boot lid
    - Adj the tension on the cable where it attaches to the latch
    - Adj the position of the latches.

3. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    As a follow-up to Verell's good advice, try cleaning the offending latch with some carb cleaner to degrease it. I have found on my car that the latches can get sticky with old grease and become reluctant to open. I had that problem with one of the latches to my front trunk hood. Spray it with cleaner, then use some compressed air to blow it dry. Try working it a few times to be sure it is free. It took me a couple of tries with the cleaner to get mine working smoothly. Then use the white lithium grease on them and you should be good to go. The cables that control the latches are adjustable, as are the latches themselves, but try cleaning them before you start playing with the cable adjustments.

4. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi,

The emergency cable also only opens the driver's side ... so, I'm thinking that something might be happening by the latches ... I'll tak enotes from your e-mail above and check it out. Thank you!

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sometimes I have to jam something into the latch release bucket (cassette tape or Altoids box works fine) to maintain pressure on the latch cable and run around and pull the hatch....

Just remember to remove it before slamming the door! LOL!

Or you'll need one of Verell's replacement housings.....;)

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    DRAT, Knew I'd left out an important step. :(

7. bls2219

bls2219 Rookie

Oct 3, 2007
    Boerne, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Mine was doing the same thing until I replace a weak lid strut. Now it pops up as soon as I pull the release.

8. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Just to add to Verells and Steves comments. If the lid isnt releasing on the far side, the cable between the latches needs adjusting up. They should both release together. You would be wise to remove the tail lights while you make adjustments, because if you screw it up and it wont release, youll have to smash them to get your hand inside to release them. Also, you shouldnt need to pull the lever of emergency cable very far to release the latches. Just a short amount.