carb 512BB...looks niiiice | FerrariChat

carb 512BB...looks niiiice

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by pippo, Dec 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
  2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The carbed 512 are the last of a breed........I'd go $100K on that low miles example if history shows it hasn't been wrapped around a tree.....

Boxers, including last injected ones are all over the map, pricewise.......going begging at $75K then being snapped up at $175K, depending on how many FCA judged trophies it's got on the shelf...however, the low miles, low owner number cars are special, rare, and don't hit the Market that often......

HTH

Of course like the early 308GTBs a good carb Tech would be Step 1 of ownership, these have 4 3bbls IIRC....

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It didn't sell at $75K so the want MORE????

That's the msdesign sales strategy..........LOL!

4. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Joe,

I, too, saw this car on Ebay... A few things that seem strange to me:

1. There are no carb boxes shown in any of the pictures. Perhaps they are not shown, but driving around without carb boxes/air filters would certainly reduce the life of the engine

2. Accel ignition coil... Again this may be innocuous, but certainly not a component a purist or enthusiast would use.

3. Exhaust system has been changed. The exhaust on the car is non-standard. Could be a reputable after-market piece, but may not be. Certainly worth investigating the exhaust, headers, and all mounts to ensure a proper fit.

4. Exhaust heat sheilds are missing... This is not good... at least not for the gears and oil within the bell-housing

5. Vaccuum hose on the right-side of engine shows wear... however, this may be a picture artifact. For a car that has low miles, I find this odd.

Given the fact that the ad states that it has been "Babied all its life", there are several factors which would indicate otherwise. Some of the items I have seen may be explainable, but certainly would explain why it did not sell previously.

Cheers,

Sam

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I would want to know why the front fog lamps are sitting so low behind the grille? Was the car DOT converted then undone and they buggered up the light location? The door speakers hurt in that to undo that booboo it would require recovering the panels - not straight forward. The gay stereo takes away from it with the multiple speakers and amps located throughout the car and trunk ruining the black fabric thats lines it. The coil is tacky but can be sold to some ricer easy enough. The exhaust looks like a borla or similar to DaveB's boxer setup. Other than that it looks clean with some personal taste items that cost money to reverse.

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That stereo is pretty dorky. I wouldn't worry too much about the pics of the carbs without air boxes, as it looks to me like those pics were taken when it was in the shop with things somewhat apart.

For a California buyer, the major question I would ask is "Does it have a BAR sticker?"

I would think if it had one, they would have posted a picture.

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'd think the number of carbed 512s with west coast BAR sticker would be very low......?????

8. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Probably started the bids at $75k and now there are 23 bids and the price is at $95k. Reserve not met yet. Would be interesting to know where they set their reserve.

9. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Looks like the latest owner added the driving lights behind the grill. The magic must have worn off in all of 2500 miles, after transporting it from NY/NJ.

From the November 2006 ebay ad:
    "1981 FERRARI 512BB BOXER VIN Number: 37863
    WITH ONLY 10800 MILES SINCE NEW, NOT A 1980 HAD TO LIST IT THAT WAY! FINISHED IN ROSSA CORSA FERRARI RED OVER BLACK DAYTONA STYLE SEATS, RECENT ENGINE OUT MAJOR BELT SERVICE COMPLETED, THIS CAR IS ALSO FITTED WITH A BORLA PERFORMANCE EXAUST SYSTEM WICH REALLY BRING OUT THE TRUE SOUND OF THE 12 CYLINDER BOXER ENGINE, HI END SOUND SYSTEM, THIS IS BY FAR ONE OF THE BEST DRIVING FERRARIS EVER PRODUCED AND IS GETTING HARD TO FIND IN THIS CONDITION, FRONT SPARE, CUSTOM HI END STEREO, A TRUE ICON OF THE PAST FERRARI YEARS, OWN A PIECE OF HISTORY AND A GREAT INVESTMENT WHAT A GREAT DRIVER ALS AN INSTANT HEAD TURNER, LESS THAN 1000 OF THESE MODELS WERE EVER PRODUCED, LEASE, FINANCE AND WARRANTY ARE AVAILABLE CALL 609-577-7976 OR EMAIL [email protected] FOR INFO VISIT INTERSTATEMOTORSPORT OR STEVEWALDIE FOR A COMPLETE LIST OF INVENTORY , WELCOME CALL FOR AN APPOINTMENT!
    THE CAR HAS BEEN STORED FOR SEVERAL YEARS I HAD THE CAR SERVICED AND GOT THE CAR RUNNING GREAT, THE CAR HAS SOME PAINT FLAWS WHICH ARE CONDUSIVE FOR THE YEAR, IF YOU HAVE EVER OWNED ONE OF THE OLD ITIALIAN CARS YOU KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT, YOU REALLY HAVE TO BE ON TOP OF THE CAR TO SEE THE FLAWS THERE ARE SOME CHIPS AND DINGS FROM THE YEARS BUT I WANTED KEEP IT AS ORIGINAL AS I COULD, THE CAR HAS HAD THE SAME OWNER FOR THE PAST 10 PLUS YEARS, AIR NEED A CHARGE BUT WORKS, SOME OF THE CABLES WIL NEED TO BE ADJUSTED AND THE WINDOEW HAVE A MIND OF THERE OWN AGAIN ALL NORMAL OF THE OLDER FERRARIS , I HAVE ADJUSTED MY PRICE TO ASSIST IN THESE REPAIRS. WILL COME WITH THE FACTORY STEERING WHEEL NOT THE WHEEL IN THE PICTURES, STARS RIGHT UP EVERY TIME, I HAD THE MSD ALSO PUT ON TO ENSURE ITS RELIABILITY WHEN I WAS DRIVING IT TO CAR SHOWS, CALL IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE I WILL HONOR GOOD OFFERS INSPECTIONS ARE TO BE PAID BY THE PERSON REQUESTING IT. GOOD LUCK THIS IS A RARE OPPORTUNITY TO OWN THIS RARE CAR."

Note: Not sold at $79,400 (didn't meet reserve)

For the fun stuff, a look into the Wayback Machine:
    November 2006 - http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126689
    February 2007 - http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138501

10. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    I have one, and there's one other in the San Diego area. And you're right, I doubt there's many in the state.

If this car's been 'babied' it should have more or less complete records.
    Way too many speakers for sure! But still looks like a great driver car. Hopefully the heat shields and carb covers were off just while in the shop for repairs. The carb bores look clean, so probaby wasn't driven without the covers.
    It'll be interesting to see just how far this one goes.
    John

Please remember that if you know of any good repair write-ups, to add the link to the Boxer repair thread.

11. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Thanks for the comments, all. You'd think someone should have snatched it up last wk for the 75,000. Yeah, those gaudy speakers (one or 2?). Nuts.

Hey, when is real estate gonna improve?....LOL

12. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    I missed something. Was it offered at No Reserve or Buy it Now last week for $75K? LAST YEAR, I inquired about that car and it couldn't be bought for that then. This is a cut and paste from last year's thread on the car...

---
    Has indeed been around the block - or at least on the block - a few times. VIN visible in current listing photo of door jamb matches the one listed in NJ auction, which I think ran 4, maybe 5 different times.

Presumed 'sold' at least 2 of those. There's no mention in the feedback of NJ seller of the $76k 'sale' that took place in December. Huge and hideous coil, plus moster stereo still visible, but yes, steering wheel replaced.

I got some erratic info in email correspondence from NJ seller, not much 'real' help. Left phone number yet no call returned. Main thing I gathered about the big 'service' represented was that there were bad vibes between NJ seller and previous owner. (No records, no talking, they no likee each other.)

Emailed CURRENT lister and have heard nothing back. Guess they don't like pointed questions about history or service. Another F-chatter has seen the car (possibly PPI'd also?) and was found to be lacking in some value estimation.
    ---

Car looks cleaner than it did then, maybe some work's been clarified. Bidding seems ok on the car so maybe bidders have update. Don't talk yourself out of it!

13. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    You keep mentioning $75,000. Are you familiar with the way Ebay works? That was probably the OPENING bid for the car and RESERVE was NOT MET. You can't change an Ebay ad to become a RESERVE auction if you originally list it with NO reserve once bids are placed.

14. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Gees, Jeff, I think you are right. My mistake. I thought the buy now price was 75, but apparently not so. Thanks for helping to clarify. 75 would be way too low.

15. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    No sweat Joe ... just trying to clarify the situation as someone else also seemed to be under the same impression. The car is definitely worth more than $75k and likely worth more than a $100k. It will be interesting to see where it ends up once the auction ends.

16. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    At least this guy will probably follow-through for someone with questions and an intent to buy. Let's see what happens, since he appears (from the photos) to have a few other interesting cars.

17. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Ive heard it say that the 512BB, although striking, is kinda big, for a Ferrari. Vs, say, a 308 size. Is the wheelbase longer by much, anyone know?

Not that one can really compare the 2 pricewise.......

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The boxer isnt much bigger than the 308 really, Ive had the 2 side by side and the boxer is only a touch longer.

19. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    That's an interesting question and it may not all be attributable to 'size'.

I have the most unfortunate garage; it was built forever ago. I have to park very carefully to get the Boxer in there, but it clears by the exact amount of my 996. Length, spot on but the Ferrari overhangs are larger. I admit that for some odd reason the 996 feels smaller, probably due to visibility at all four corners and driver ride height.

However, I have a Viper coupe stuffed in there too and oh, man, that thing appears bulbous. Now, the Boxer compared to it, is externally smaller, yet roomier inside. Part of that is pretty good overall visibility with the Boxer over the gunner-turret feel of the Viper. Dimensionally they may not differ so greatly. My Pantera is almost the same as the Boxer everywhere: width, length, ground clearance, ride height, you name it. And it feels the absolute smallest of all.

It's a 'feel' thing to be sure, belied by pure measurement alone. The Boxer feels substantial, but by no means ungainly. I drove it to work today (after the Viper yesterday), and felt like I was at a spa.

20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    My boxer wheel base is 98" roughly, 308 91"
    boxer overall length 167", 308 161"

I didnt measure width, my feet were getting cold on the garage floor! My boxer is also 300lbs heavier weighing in at around 3400lbs vs 3080lbs for the 308.

21. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    #21 JTR, Dec 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    My 308 and boxer are 44" tall.

23. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    This car seems about right at 100k if everything checks out. Ad says recent service but missed the date.
    If you are looking for a "perfect" Boxer then stick with the numerous BBIs that fall into that catagory. Expect to pay more.
    My Boxer has a Borla which I consider a plus (wish it were a Tubi for the name).

24. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Really? More for an injected? The opposite of 308's where the early carb'd are usually a premium over the later ones......

I like carbs. And toggle switches. And levers. And analog meters. And no computers. And chrome trim pieces. And.....

25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Boxers have no computers, they have the toggle switches, meters, levers and so forth right out of a 308 basically. The CIS cars just run better and drive better so they say and they command more for that reason. The injected 308's took power away from an already underpowered car hence the lower value. The same cant be said for the injected boxers, it just boils down to what you want, carbs or injection.