Boxer clutch. 365 v 512 | FerrariChat

Boxer clutch. 365 v 512

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by skl63, Dec 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. skl63

skl63 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hi.
    I am looking for a carbie car and one of the differences not often mentioned or discussed in these forums is the clutches. I believe the 365 is cable operated single plate whilst the 512 has a hydraulic twin plate arrangement.

Is the 512 much lighter? and does either last longer than the other? Any other pros and cons,

Thanks.

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Correct on the differences and the 512 clutches are better and lighter for sure, they last longer but a boxer clutch takes getting used to and there are some do's and dont's......like dont lend the car out or you'll be buying a new clutch the next day!

3. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    On 512s there is an metal plate between the two clutch plates so the whole clutch package is heavier than a 365. The 365 just used the single plate that was a carry over from Daytonas. The single plate wears much more easily than the double plate.

4. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    I believe that what Paul means by "lighter" is the clutch pedal effort....Considering that depressing the 365 clutch pedal is like steping on a rock, anything would be an improvement!

5. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    The move to double plate was in response to several issues. As mentioned, pedal pressure was high on the 365 cable system. As the torque increased on the 512, greater clamping pressure or more surface area was needed to prevent clutch slippage. The solution was to move to the twin disk system, which solved both issues: clamping pressure and surface area were increased, and the hydraulic system reduced pedal pressure.

Jim S.