NEED Engine Lid Shocks for a 328 | FerrariChat

NEED Engine Lid Shocks for a 328

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Inowownone, Dec 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Inowownone

Inowownone Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Tom W.
    I have conducted a search and have found a few threads that are 2+ year and older around this topic. Looking for a response that is a little more recent.
    I am looking to replace the shocks on my engine lid cover. They both seem to be org. Working fine in the summer and when the engine is warm. But, not holding when the engine is cold (and with this cooler weather).
    I have read and seen that Rockauto has them. Appears to be P/N SG237001 (product made by Sachs). They are $46.79 each.
    Ferrari of Houston has OEM products for $76.48 each.

Can these be "re-built"? Just looking for options and input from a fellow 3x8 owner who has replaced their shocks with in the last year or so. Thank you for your response! Tom

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Get new...for the cost it is not worth recharging used ones, they do not replace the seals when recharging, so the gas will leak out again. They last long enough on 308/328, so what is the big deal with replacing every 15 years. ;) BTW, the rockauto.com ones are identical to the factory ones, they are both Sachs products. I get the ones for my 355 from Rockauto.com.

On the 355 they last about 2 to 3 years, then kaput...I think the higher engine compartment temps is the reason.

3. bls2219

bls2219 Rookie

Oct 3, 2007
    Boerne, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I got a set from T. Rutlands for my 308. They are made by Stabilus (sp) and are identical to the originals.
    Rutlands is a well known supplier of Ferrari parts.

4. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    I made a set-up to recharge them with nitrogen. Have tried some for another car and they did not hold all of the charge. They worked good for a few days, but then they lost some of the "spring".
    The only reason for re-charging them would be for a concourse situation where someone had the original ones with the horsey on them.
    Otherwise, I would buy new ones & keep the old "horsey" ones in the garage.

M

5. Inowownone

Inowownone Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Tom W.
    Thanks to all. Suprised the ones on the 355 only last 2-3 years and the ones on the 3x8 last 15. Sounds like rockauto is the way to go. Cheers.