Pros & Cons of Buying a 93 Mondial | FerrariChat

Pros & Cons of Buying a 93 Mondial

Discussion in 'Florida' started by FOUR ARE EEEE, Dec 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FOUR ARE EEEE

FOUR ARE EEEE Rookie

Dec 11, 2007
    I am looking to buy a 1993 Ferrari Mondial with a Valeo transmission.

I love the car, but I have been told Mondials have alot of problems, especially electrical.

I would appreciate any comments, both pro and con, on this model especially with a Valeo transmission.

Thanks for your help in advance.

P.S. A couple of belt replacement questions:

Replace at the early of 15,000 miles or how many years?

If a replacement (miles or date) cannot be determined, I was told by the owner/dealer you can determine the condition of the belt by visual inspection?

2. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    You will hear good and bad for every car. For example, despite all the hooplah over how 'bad' 348's are, I had a 348 spider that was fantastic.

Although, it is probably likely that older cars are somewhat less reliable than the modern cars, it's more important to get the 'right' car for whatever year or model you seek. If you want a Mondial, get the best example you can find and make sure you get a PPI.

3. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    Look at the service records. If there have been problems, they should be obvious from a review of the records and - if the car is still on the road, without them recurring - they have probably been successfully addressed.

As far as belt service. It depends a whole lot on how the car is used. A daily driver could probably get 15K on belts. If the car sits for extended periods a better number is 5K. Either case, recommend changing every five years. If there are no records on when they were changed. Get them changed immediately. If a belt breaks, you buy an engine - about $35K for a Mondial.

Whoever told you that you can visually determine the condition of the belts lied. Unless the belt is very old and very ragged, in which case it should definately be replaced immediately.

Scottie