KovaLAINen Confirmed At McLaren | FerrariChat

KovaLAINen Confirmed At McLaren

Discussion in 'F1' started by RP, Dec 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Contract signed. Teammate with Lewis (not Louis) Hamiltom, no that's HamiltoN

See Andreas I can spell his friggin four syllable name!!

2. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Heikki Kovalainen
    Heikki Kovalainen
    Heikki Kovagotlaidnen
    Heikki Kovalain

See Andreas, I can spell.

That's the ticket, he should just shorten his name to Heikki Kovalain if he wants to be WDC.

I just had a better idea for Heikki, he should shorten his name to Heikki Ko.

There is some children's song that has a chorus of Heidi Ho Heidi Ho Heidi Ho. Watch, Andreas will come on just to disagree with me and tell me that was no children's song but one of his German songs about a "professional" working lady.

3. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    This will be an interesting pairing, HK (yes, that's what I'm going with) showed some improvement in the second half of the season and Hamilton is the next great champion. This could be a formidable driver pairing.

4. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I believe you are absolutely correct Ted. One important factor, these two, Heikki and Lewis, will get along together, as do Kimi and Phil. Always good for team morale and team spirits. And it shows on the track at season end when it counts.

I think McLaren will be strong in 2008. Now if BMW, REnault, Red Bull, Honda, Toyota, and Super Aguri (Sato is my hero) can each get a few front rows and podiums, and Ferrari wins WDC and WCC on the track against such cmpeptiton, I will happy to be alive to see what would be the best F1 season ever.

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Nah, that song is about Rosi "Auch ich habe ihre Nummer schon, unter 42 15 8 herrscht Grossbetrieb die ganze Nacht. Skandal im Sperrbezirk. Skandal um Rosi." :)

Glad to see Heikki Semikolon back in a seat, even a very good seat.

6. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Andreas, at least you did not call him Heikki Semicolon. That would a real pain in the "rear", so to speak.

7. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    This will be a real test for Heikki, if he doesn't perform his career can potentially take a bad turn. He cannot afford a "slow" start as he did in Renault in 07. No wonder Rosberg Sr. did not want to pair Nico up with Hamilton.

We'll also see if it was true that Hamilton used Alonso's set ups for his quick pace.

8. Brakefade

Brakefade Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Let's see how "equal" Mclaren treats it's drivers next year.

9. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Wow. Now you can't say MCL don't have balls. Top team in financial struggle putting two rookies in their cars, 2008 seems to become the most exciting season ever. At least when it comes to the "how will they perform question" - it might as well be possible that Renault's car will still be crap even with Alonso, BMW will perform same as this year, Brawn can't Honda immediately turn into a winner team and McLaren suffers from the lack of the drivers developing experience, leading to another 2004 where the most interesting question is who finished 3rd behind the Ferraris.

10. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    +1

but i'm happy for Kova.

11. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Excellent news for Heikki!

12. Modena360-66

Modena360-66 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    Perpignan, France
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Yes! good news for kova.
    Lets hope they'll let him drive at 100%.

13. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Oh its going to be a great year for F1, with no traction control. I won't miss one race, time to start programming the DVR.

14. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Great pairing in my opinion. Hopefully this should be a great year.

15. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    LOL Yeh great that Florian, I wont be discussing it thats for sure.

I wish HK good luck with Mclaren, its a pity he has to enter the team under such circumstances.

16. Nicke

Nicke Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2005
    Hellsinki
    Full Name:
    Nicke Forsell
    This is GREAT news! I can see Kimi and Kova battling over 1st place in a race, that would be fun to watch! (ofcourse I would like to see Kimi win) I wonder if Mika Häkkinen could take the same role at Mclaren as Schumi has at Ferrari? This way they would get some experience in developing the car.

Btw, "Kova" seems to be agood name to call Heikki, it is actually a finnish word and means "hard" (as in hard material eg. stone) or "tough" (as in tough guy) :)

17. Lexdiamonnyc

Lexdiamonnyc Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    North NJ
    Full Name:
    Lex
    Good signing for McLaren and for Heikki of course...........I'm looking forward to seeing him in a top car, long gone is the "but he's in a mid level car" arguement(read---excuse)..........now he's in a top car, it's time to put up or shut up!!!...

my official prediction is..............all the McLaren wins(if they win anything at all) will come from Hami and not Heikki....but he will make the podium more than once:)

18. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Actually it would be more appropriate to refer to Scott Speed as Semicolon ;)

19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Outch.

I don't like him and am happy to see him gone from F1, but what the poor guy had to endure from a medical perspective is nothing I'd make fun of. He was very brave.

20. hg

hg Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    We are all happy that Kovalainen is at McL and I personally wish him the best. However, one of the factors that made this possible was that Mutua Madrilena, a Spanish Insurance Company, has decided not to renew its sponsorship wirth McL. This in turn helped place De la Rosa out of contention and certainly in my opinion McL will be better served with Kovalainen in the second seat.

21. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    Don't count on it. I think McLaren learned their lesson the hard way. I hope HK is as fast as LH without traction control.

22. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Go Finland!!! :D

23. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I like Lewis because I believe he has great skill but I would like to see Heikki smoke him in atleast a few race's.

24. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    My thoughts exactly. When was the last time we had two Finns racing against each other in two of the best cars?

25. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Good for Heiki!

I think he's a good guy and I think it sucks that Alonso is such a chump that he would require (and Flavio would agree) that Heiki get booted for no other reason than he's too good.

So, I am hoping that Lewis and Heiki both lay the wood to Alonso and Renault - and HARD. And I think that is exactly what will happen.

I am just DYING for an Alonso meltdown..... you know... accusations of sabotage, *****ing on the radio because his teammate wont move over, the whole lot. If he does do that, then what? If Kimi doesnt retire, he's not going to take his opt-out of Renault because he has nowhere else to go that's competitive.

I am also rooting for a good showing from Honda this year. I think Button deserves it and I want to see Brawn enjoying himself and re-invogorated with a new challenge. Also, I hope Toyota does well. Now that Half is gone, I can get behind them. I always liked Trulli and I think Toyota deserves some luck too.