Floor Jack | FerrariChat

Floor Jack

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 2COOOL, Dec 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2COOOL

2COOOL Karting

Nov 23, 2003
    What is the best floor jack for a Ferrari? I was in FOW this week and they had a rather nice looking one that was blue/white....but did not get the brand name. Does anyone know what band this model could have been? Thanks.

2. Stew

Stew Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I got this one at Costco. Dual piston, light weight and most important, it is low enough to easily go under my 360. There are several versions of this same jack at different tool places.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11186866&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

Regards,

Stew

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Search body of posts in Tech Q&A for 'floor jack' you'll find a lot more options. Also search old Fchat archives. BTW, don't ever expect to get consensus on 'the best' lots of pretty much equally good options out there.

4. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff

I got this one too, works great. Sear's Craftsman sells some good ones also that are similar to it.

Jeff

5. BBL

BBL Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I'm pretty sure I have that same jack from Costco too. Not 100% sure though - I'll know for sure on Christmas morning, when I unwrap the big Costco jack-sized box that showed up under the tree shortly after I told my wife how I thought I would like that Costco jack as a Christmas gift. :)

6. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart
    I have this jack and it works OK but it seems to be at it's maximum lifting capacity when lifting a 308. Also you have to be careful because the car is pulled toward the jack when lifting and you have to watch the jack stands as they start to tilt when jacking up the opposite side. I don't know maybe it's just my technique.

7. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    I've had that same jack for several years - it starting to show its age, but at that price, I'll just pick up another. (Can't have too many jacks). I would not classify it as a quality tool, but it gets the job done.

8. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

It's your technique. The jack should be moving under the car as it goes up (or out from under the car as it comes down). Make sure the wheels on the back are headed in the right direction when you start jacking it up. A smooth surface floor will help them roll too.

I've got some crappy little two ton jacks but they were all I could find that would fit under my 308 without driving it up on ramps or boards. Then I changed the suspension and I'm back to driving it up on boards to get them under it anyway. It's about time I get a decent jack though. Harbor freight has a couple that don't look too bad too.

9. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=40105

I have this one and love it. 6 pumps, great for light cars and the sadle is very low. Much lower than most to fit under low cars. It's on sale for $129 right now or the link below is for the same jack without the rapid pump which makes the jack go full height in 6 pumps. I'm sure someone will flame me for recomending a jack made in China for a Ferrari but I've have mine a while and use it more than most and have had it banging around at the racetrack for many years.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/tabviewer/webDisplayItem.do?itemnumber=91039 This one is on sale for $80

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I have the low profile jack from Griot's Garage. http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=77739

That or the Costco one would be my choice only because both offer a lifetime return policy! :)

11. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Me too, only thing that will fit under the race car, and the foot pump is convenient. (front end of race car only weigh about 300 lbs.)

12. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    I have the same Harbor Freight jack that Kevin has and it does work great. The only issue I have with it is the spring that returns the handle to the "up" position. If you remove the handle, the spring pushes the stub to the upright position. In order to lower the car you need to somehow get the handle back on the stub; this entails trying to pry the stub down (pumping jack-up). I plan to remove this spring and see how it works without the spring.

Mark

13. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I know the problem your talking about. Had to use a jack to get the other jack out one time from my truck. I think you'll have that with most jacks. I think most of the newer jacks have that spring. Nice thing about the HF one is the handle is two piece so you can just push the little button and take half the handle away. They need to make a little cheater tool that you can put in the hole for the handle so you can lower the car without the handle. Just have to make sure you don't lower it on yourself! If one of my HF jacks ever die I'll have to make one out of the handle. The wheels are solid aluminum and I'm thinking about putting them in the lathe and making a groove for o-rings. This way the wheels roll on the o-rings and when you put pressure on it the o-ring will compress and the aluminum part will be on the floor again.

14. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long
    I have had one of these Harbor Freight models and I have used and abused it badly for many years and it still works great. It gives about 2 inches clearance and lifts our 250 very easily. I have an older second jack as a backup.

15. mwhitesell

mwhitesell Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Does anyone have a jack that will lift up both sides of the back end at once? I've seen this type of large scissor jack at the tire store, and I would like one for my 4 post lift. It sits in the middle and has two jack points.

16. gdbsti

gdbsti Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    IMHO the European AC Hydraulics jacks are by far the best for low profile cars. We use one at our shop. They're pricey but you get what you pay for..
    The AC DK13HLQ is ideal with a minimum height of 3.1". Can't remember who US distributor is off the top of my head, but can find out as I saw them at PRi again.
    http://www.ac-hydraulic.dk/

17. blackforestauto

blackforestauto Karting

Jul 6, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Bob
    These are the best. They can be ordered from Ultimate Garage, which is a really first class operation with great support and services - their website is ultimategarage.com No affiliation, etc. - just a satisfied customer of theirs.

18. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The only thing I will add about the various inexpensive "aluminum racing" jacks is that yes they lift the car in a very few strokes but unless you're a member of
    a pit crew I find that to be big disadvantage. I have two of them because of the light weight. The trouble is you have a lot less control raising and especially lowering
    the car. The Harborfreight ones really suck in that regard. When you twist the handle the release is not very predictable and they drop in a hurry. During a pit stop that's what you want.
    My older steel ones which require more pumps allow for more control going up with less force, give you a lot more control coming down and feel more secure during the whole process. I don't know if the more expensive aluminum jacks are better in these regard.

Bob S.

19. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I just say a Husky aluminium 1 1/2 ton with 2 low profile jack stands at Home Depot. Looks like a good deal at $130. This is a low profile jack and should have no problem fitting under our cars. Give it a look