Local Heroes | FerrariChat

Local Heroes

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by WCH, Dec 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    A "feel good" thread for the holiday season.

I'll start by nominating a friend's son, Richard Cestero, Capt. USAF, soon to return home to Virginia with 2 Bronze Stars.

Anyone else want to play?

2. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    My friend and neighbor, Alan McBride, serving in Iraq on a second tour. Should be returning in April, he has a very nice Z06 and can't wait to hit the back roads with him again!

Robert

3. THE BEAST 360

THE BEAST 360 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nathan K
    I’d like to say Merry Christmas to all our soldiers! Thanks for helping my family and me sleep in peace every night!

4. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    My "local" hero is Eddie Burke of Hagerstown, Md. A retired National Guardsman and State Trooper who was trained in SWAT, K9 and search and recovery roles.

A couple years ago Eddie was visiting a friend in a very small place called Largent W.Va. which is south of Berkely Springs. The talk at the general store was of a local woman who had gone missing for three days. This is in an area that is extremely mountainous and remote and it was winter.

Eddie took a walk in the woods behind his friends house. He has been an outdoorsman all his life and is keenly observant. He spotted something out of place and investigated. What he had seen was a small part of her gray haired head. She was alive and down in a ravine. She was in bad shape. She had apparently walked out her back door, gotten disoriented, fallen down a hill and had spent three winter nights alone. Her skin was turning black. She would certainly have died that night.

Eddie gave her his coat and the bottle of water he had. He brought her around and explained that he was going for help. He got to the house and called for help. Got a bunch of blankets and hot drinks and food and took it to her. After getting her a little better off, he had to leave her again to go out to the road to bring the rescue squad in.

I have noticed that Eddie is always concerned for the welfare of older people and this lady survived because of his concern for her.

For this, my friend of 35 years is my hero.