1975 308 GT4 #10314 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

1975 308 GT4 #10314

Discussion in '308/328' started by DavidDriver, May 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Seriously?? Stolen?

2. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    WTF??? Is this an old post?

Heart sank just reading that.

3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    David please tell us you're pulling our leg and this is some of your off color humor.

4. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver

Off color? :p No no no!!! It's going back to the CORRECT color !!! :D

....:rolleyes: Well, almost.

Gone to Costantino's today for a complete facelift. Down to bare metal and back to blue. Albeit a little different blue. My wife likes darker, so we're going Charo instead of Dino. :eek:

Wa-Hooo!!!

5. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I waited to post....just felt like the 'ol David'. A car theft would've certainly been in a new thread. :)

WHOO HOOO!!!!!!

CONGRATS! I bet you are excited!
    Keep us posted.

JIM

6. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    You bet'cha baby! Pictures coming soon.

7. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    David, you're such a comedian! :)

8. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Nice, David!

I just LOVE that you went for blue. Do you have a pic of a GT4 in Charo? I don't know the color. The darker the blue, the better on a GT4!!!

I guess next time I am in LA again, Rocco and I need to pay you yet another visit. Lemme see if I can get my hands on that Z8 again then :D

9. costa

costa Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Costantino Bertuzzi
    #84 costa, Dec 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. roccopof

roccopof Karting

Jul 10, 2006
    Oakland
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    I can't wait to see the progress. Please post plenty of pictures!!

Rocco

11. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    You're on! I don't know if there exists another GT4 in Charo. I keep wondering if I should go back to Dino Blu... And I keep looking at OMGJON's car and drooling over the color.... But I need to keep the wife ;) happy too.

Besides; going back to the original color begs the question, "Why not replace the Series II grill with a Series I grill?". And then it just keeps going, "why not just try to make it a show car?", etc., etc., etc. And I could... But I don't think I want to do that right now.

Dave Stacy will probably call me a villian; :p But I like the looks of the Series II grill better. And it probably has better air-flow as well. Also, I intend to drive this car. So it's not going to be a garage queen. There are a number of improvements I can make on the car to technologically make it a better car than it was when it was new. XDi, adjustable cam pully's, adjustable shocks, 355 busings, etc.. When, and if (big if) I tire of the car, someone else can restore it to original. And I'm going to keep the parts, ;) so someone can (or I can) do that if/when that time ever comes.

A 246 in worse shape than mine (and I believe there are more of them available than Series I GT4's right now), are worth the effort today. So who knows? But in reality, I think it would be a waste of time and a waste of an opportunity to make a great car, even a little better.

Also, there are several Series I cars that are much better candidates for 100-point show cars than mine can ever be anyway. So what's the point? Although I know all but the very first owner of the car, I do not have any the original sales receipts, and only have maintenance receipts (although they are significant) from the PPO. Michael Cannillo (PPPO), the Ferrari dealer in NYC and for whom this was his first Ferrari, may have some others too, but I haven't asked him about it. I also don't have the original toolkit or jack. So at this point, with the engine rebuilt, the gearbox redone, me doing the suspension, detailing the engine, plus upgrades and Costantino doing the body and paint, it just doesn't make much sense to try to make a "dedicated show car" out of it. There are better candidates for that.

But when it's done, and like the Carobu Dino GT4, few other cars will be as mechanically sound or as technologically advanced as mine will be. And I'm trusting Costantino to do a great job on the body too! So that's what I'm trying to accomplish. I certainly intend to "show" the car. And if it wins something, GREAT! I'll add it to the picture of the 2nd place it won back in the 80's. It wasn't original then either, although I'm not so sure anyone back then :rolleyes: would have been as aware of it as they would be today. And Dave Stacy was probably still little Davy Stacy too! :p Whew!

But still, it would be fun to win something. Even if it's just a few "oooh's" and "aaahhh's".

BTW: Thank you for the post Costantino! This is gonna be a very fun project!

12. rickyx

rickyx Karting

May 9, 2006
    #87 rickyx, Dec 7, 2007
    Good luck on your decision David,

It is always good to see another "blu" to the fellowhood of the GT4.

I like the charo as well, but the hyperion is also not bad !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. rickyx

rickyx Karting

May 9, 2006

The darker the blue, that is not always true!
    By the way Hans, I am moving back to Holland again, so I will be seeing you around there!

Ricky

14. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    #89 DavidDriver, Dec 7, 2007
    That is a very beautiful color! It's the same as my Alfa!

15. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Rickyx, that is ONE HOT color on your GT4!!!!!! My girls were 'ooohhh"-ing and "aaaahhhhh-ing" over it this morning before school. (6 and 8 yr old little TIFOSI. :) )

David, you won't go wrong no matter the color. I like where your head is at regarding a driver vs. letting the next owner do the 'restoration'. Don't forget, solid GT4's fetch top dollar as well. IIRC, the Carobu car was not a 100pt example...

JIM

16. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I must be a lot older than you think David.
    Back in the 80's I was trying to see how many McLarens I could wreck before McLaren fired me.

17. 78-308gt4

78-308gt4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    This is the color my gt4 will become....one day.

Absolutely beautiful!!

18. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    #93 DavidDriver, Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, yeah, yeah.... We know the truth Dave. You can't fool us!!! :p

19. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
  20. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    That's the original color of mine....oh to get her back!!! Someday, maybe. :)

Any estimation on completion?

JIM

21. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    After we'd looked everything over I asked Gary, "So.... now for the big question...". He turned and looked at me a little aprehensively and I continued, "How long to I have to finish the motor?".

"How long do you need?", he asked and at that point I let out a sigh of relief.

"Oh good!", I said. And then asked, "So a couple of months isn't a problem?"

"Not at all", he replied.

So it'll be awhile. I'm in the process of moving to another house, and getting mine ready to convert back to a rental. And I still have to attach the gearbox to the motor. I also want to detail the motor and do some mod's on it first too. And I also want to install adjustable shocks and upgrade to 355 bushings on the car. So there's a little work yet to be done besides just the bodywork and paint.

So it'll be awhile yet before it's complete.

But there will be plenty of pictures coming soon. Costa and Gary are photographing the entire process. So this should be a fun and informative process.

22. Itsa GT4

Itsa GT4 Karting

Jun 8, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark Sanderson
    #97 Itsa GT4, Dec 19, 2007
    Yes, there is another GT4 in Blu Scuro! I've owned #10896 about three years now. I'm about 50% thru stripping the body and will be going with the same original Blu Scuro. Attached is an earlier picture as well as a current one. It doesn't look like much now, but I've always preferred the darker colors on these cars and was very glad to have found this one.

23. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    #98 DavidDriver, Jan 10, 2008
  24. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie