Miles Davis & 10669 | FerrariChat

Miles Davis & 10669

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Doody, Dec 10, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    #1 Doody, Dec 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    With a car like the 275GTB/4, he would have to be emotionally dead NOT to be smiling!

John

3. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    That was a time in Mr Davis' life when he was turning his back and playing music to only his only band members at concerts with thousands of people because he felt that was the only way he could 'connect'. His album '*****es Brew' he did around that time was very avante garde, and his drug use was still prevalent despite several interventions from his closest.

Regarding Miles and Ferrari's, he grew a real affinity for them in the late '70s while he was pretty much never seen by anyone and never left his house. His friend Herbie Hancock was a influence in his life, and Herbie found solice in his Shelby Cobra (Herbie is the longest running new owner of a cobra in the world) and his Ferrari's. Miles probably found the same type of thing Herbie did. Miles purchased a yellow 308GTSi and a little later a Testarossa.

Great pic!

4. Seamus77

Seamus77 Rookie

Dec 5, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    James Fraser
    Miles didn't stay at home all the time. Often when he went out in his Ferrari, he would to call the police department and tell them where he was going, and ask them not to stop "the black man driving the red car", because he owned it.

mrp_e likes this.
  5. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    maybe the coolest pic I have seen in years.

6. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    x1 ,love his music and still got a soft spot for his final album and the movie "Dingo"

7. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    "Mr. Cool" changed music history more than once! The Quintett-recording with Tony Williams and the later album "*****es Brew" are my alltime favourite!

I saw him performing live in 1970 and was stunned! He had more music in one of his magine notes coming from his trumpet than any of this stupid "hip-hoppers" and "rappers" (both with tons of gold hangin` around their necks) in their so-called "career"!

Just my "50 Cents"....!

Ciao!
    Walter

8. Ferrari 1

Ferrari 1 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Benn Correale
    "It's not what you play, that's important. It's what you DON'T play, that's important". (Miles Davis)

9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
  10. jmela

jmela Rookie

Nov 17, 2004
    #10 jmela, Dec 18, 2007
  11. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I was there the day that one died.

12. f_the_ASR

f_the_ASR Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Now Mid-West
    Full Name:
    Joe Polinchano
    Sounds like a rare and interesting story. Please tell.

13. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    You have to ask Consultant Carbon about that one. He knows where to find it on the Old Forum.

14. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    That pic was my wallpaper for many a day ... coolness !

G

15. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    B Brew is what I often play in my BB512,but low down as i did more the roar of the Boxer carb.

16. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I was told my Miles Davis' last saxophonist he had in his group, Kenny Garrett, that Miles found solice in his cars. Being a jazz musician myself, I have to wonder why other jazz guys don't take Miles' advice and have an 'out' to music to balance themselves. John Coltrane, CHarlie Parker, Charlie Minuges, T Monk, were all very unbalanced indivuals. I believe that is one of the reasons they could never really connect with their music with the masses like Miles did (not that chosing to keep your music your own is a bad thing).

17. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Interesting, reading your posts, how many knowlegeable boppers there are in the Ferrari world. Reminds me of the time when Jess Pourret ( the daddy of the serial number chasers) was visiting and glanced at my records and hollered, "Oh, Jesus Christ" in his inimitable french accent. We had known each other for years, but somehow had no idea of each other's interest in hard-core jazz. Wonder how many more there are out there?

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Great Jazz station here, broadcasting from TSU campus.........I have to use it during traffic commute, and they have some historic feature programs that are great!!!!

Not hugely knowledgable about it all, just use it to soothe my savage beast.....now when they launch into the blues, I can recognize T-Bone Walker on guitar from the first few notes! LOL!

KTSU even spins that white guy from Oak Cliff, once in awhile......;)

19. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Hmmm. Jazz guys and Ferrari's. I went to Berklee college of music in Boston, then moved to New York and played in most of the better venues and on Broadway. During this time, I worked with some incredible luminaries in the jazz industry, and the only other cat besides myself who had an 'out' from music was Phil Woods.

Phil is a very cultured individual with many passions besides music. Not into cars though. Go figure. As for the rest, most just did drugs, or were entirely too obsessed with their music or their 'sound'.... No balance at all which I believe will be their demise. Miles did drugs AND Ferrari's. Still not balanced, but still great.

20. mrfissa

mrfissa Karting

May 27, 2005
    Most of the jazz greats had their issues.

Coltrane drove a white Jaguar XKE. Couldn't find the picture I saw on the internet a few years back but there is a quote in this article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/11/opinion/nyregionopinions/11LIblumenfeld.html

21. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    How in the world did Trane fit in a xke! Trane had an affinity for sweet potato pie too (often eating 2 whole pies in one sitting) !

22. mrfissa

mrfissa Karting

May 27, 2005

23. mrfissa

mrfissa Karting

May 27, 2005
    #23 mrfissa, Dec 19, 2007
  24. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
  25. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Speaking of Phil Woods.

Did you ever play with Art Pepper?[/QUOTE]

Never worked with Art Pepper, but I did work with his drummer, SHelley Mann, at Shelley's club in Los Angeles. A close friend of mine, Don Menza (a saxophonist Ferrari lover too, but not owner), actually gave Art Pepper a horn and mouthpiece when Art Pepper first got out of jail. Art when from jail, to Menza's house, and then to the recording studio to record what many believe to be his best work, "Art Pepper meets the rhythm section".