Early photos of 0834? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Early photos of 0834?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by EnzoNZ, Dec 10, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Bravo, Boudewijn !! :)

2. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #27 Boudewijn, Dec 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #28 Boudewijn, Dec 11, 2007
  4. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #29 Boudewijn, Dec 11, 2007
  5. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    Superb Boudewijn !!
    A very interesting interior colour scheme to reproduce :)

6. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    Well, Paul, there were also articles with b/w photos in 'Motor Sport' and 'Motor Racing', and a very good one in 'Road and Track' which I'll try to scan this evening; also there is a good b/w in 'The Complete Ferrari' by Godfrey Eaton'.

Boudewijn, those are magnificent!!!

Paul M

7. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Your turn with the scanner then, Paul - as I don't have that particular issue of R&T. ;)

How about Francis Muller's question (now that I've identified the obvious one - DSJ) ?:
    Time to put your expertise / contacts from the T.N.F. to good use. :)

8. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    Yes to Casoni, no to Duckworth; I don't know the others, but have asked the question!

Paul M

9. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    So indeed you have. :)

http://forums.autosport.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=2955160#post2955160

10. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #35 GIOTTO, Dec 12, 2007
  11. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
  12. XTP

XTP Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Xander
    Gread photos.

Is it possible to put some photos of the spider configuration in this thread?

Kind regards
    Xander

13. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #38 F1tommy, Dec 18, 2007
    Great photos!!My company Scale Designs did a resin model kit of 0834 in 1/24.To date it
    is probably the most detailed model of the car made.Here are a few photos of my kit.I did the
    master myself.I still have questions about what happened to 0834.The last race it was seen
    at was in August 1967.It still had the early body at that race.The car that says its 0834 now had a late style 206 body before that last sighting of the original 0834 body/car.Something does not fit.Maybe a chassis plate swap at the factory after 0842 crashed??
    Any comments.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #39 P4Replica, Dec 19, 2007
    Perhaps we shouldn't also forget that in the late 60's, L.M. Cox Manufacturing of Santa Ana also produced a superb 1:24 slot car kit of #0834, which not only had magnesium wheels and 'sidewinder' chassis (as did most Cox slot cars of the period), but also came with two complete (injection moulded) body kits, enabling the kit builder to mount either the berlinetta or montagna spyder body. The kit box artwork itself was fairly special too.

See: http://www.professormotor.com/dino124.shtml

These still come up for sale on eBay from time to time, and also on something called 'Mister Coney', it seems:

http://www.mrconey.com/slotcars/classified/19576

Quite a lot seem to have survived, but unfortunately a good many models have been spoiled by use of excessive amounts of glue around the windscreen and particularly the rear window transparencies (as in this example, currently offered on 'Mr Coney').

15. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #40 P4Replica, Dec 19, 2007
    Cox also produced another version of the 1:24 Dino based on their L'il Cucuracha aluminium 'iso-fulcrum' (IFC) inline chassis.
    Known as the Dino-Racha IFC. Not a big seller in their day, but now extremely rare, and much sought after by slot car collectors.

Here's an unmade kit, currently listed on eBay, ending in a couple of hours time:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110205214218 .... asking price a mere $1600 !!

16. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #41 P4Replica, Dec 19, 2007
    Sure - feel free, Xander. ;)
    Here's an image of #0834 as the 'cut-down' montagna spyder, at the start of the Freiburg hill-climb, scanned from Doug Nye's book:

(With apologies for the poor quality of the scan. My scanner appears to be on it's last legs - I thought it had packed up altogether). :(

17. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Seriously, though, Xander ....
    If you want to see more photos of #0834 as the montagna spyder, I suggest you get yourself a copy of this book:
    If you check out the #0834 page on Barchetta: http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/Detail/0834.166P.htm

.... all those references 'Ca10' are to photos of #0834 at those events, in the Cavalleria #10 Dino book.

Apart from my scanner being 'on the blink', and the issue of scanning copyright photos from books, without permission, there is also the damage it causes to their bindings. The Cavalleria books include some superb photos, but unfortunately have very weak spine bindings.

18. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
  19. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Thanks for the reply.No I didnt forget the Cox.It is very inaccurate and not a good model at all.
    I have one of those models.It was good for a 1960s slot car model.

Tom

20. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    A matter of opinion, Tom. As far as commercially produced (in 1966) slot car models go, appearance-wise, the Cox cars shone, compared to some other similar offerings. Have you not seen the Japanese 'Hasegawa' 1:24 version ?
    Actually, not so good as a slot car though - typically 'over-engineered', and heavy, as were most 1:24 Cox slot cars - when other manufacturers had already 'moved on' to vac-formed bodies.

21. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #46 P4Replica, Dec 19, 2007
    The Hasegawa moulding is quite absymal - and possibly a poor 'rip-off' of the Cox model.
    .... But here's a link to one that has been re-worked - quite successfully by the modeller:

http://www.ssrcworld.com/slot-gallery/gallery_page09/dinohasegawa.htm

Note that he used the Cox 'Cuch' IFC chassis (see post #40 on previous page). Pity he didn't also decide to use the Cox mag wheels.

22. JLDavier

JLDavier Karting

Mar 14, 2005
    FRANCE
    Full Name:
    J.L. Davier
    Excuse me, but the man with a tie resembling at Keith Schellenberg.

But it's only one supposition because there is a resemblance.

23. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo
    I have the Scale Designs 166 and it blows away the Cox. Accuracy of the cox is compromised by the fact that they wanted it to be a slot car and had to make it fit a chassis designed to be a slot car. What that essentially means is the wheelbases is not correct (among other issues) The Cox isn't horrible built up but when compared to Toms kit you can see how inaccurate it really is.

24. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    Tom - excellent model. This will be a great reference.

25. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    Well Paul, as I'm sure you know, our friend Doug Nye has identified some of the people in the Le Mans 1965 photo - on the extreme left is commentator Anthony Marsh (whose dulcet tones are heard in the film 'Grand Prix) ,the large chap in the sweater taking notes is Edward Eves of 'Autocar', and the man in the jacket is also a British journo, name as yet not remembered.

Paul M