F355 - F1 or Manual? | FerrariChat

F355 - F1 or Manual?

Discussion in '348/355' started by A.J, Dec 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. A.J

A.J Karting

Dec 14, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,
    I'm currently looking to buy my first F car (355) & although I'm swaying towards getting an F1 I've heard a few people slating the gear change on them.

So what I'm looking for are opinions on whether you prefer the F1 paddle type gears or a manual & why.

Your input will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

A.J

2. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I personally prefer the F1.

Why? It's more fun to drive in my opinion.

Everyone is going to give you a different answer, some like 6spd and some like F1. Drive both and buy what YOU like.

3. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    +1.
    People are often very opinionated on this forum. However, this is one instance where YOU should make the choice. They are both great!

4. A.J

A.J Karting

Dec 14, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the input so far guys :)

I'll be making my own decision but I wanted to hear opinions from people on here as you've obviously had time to reflect on your F cars & as I haven't got mine yet I don't know which one will be easier to live with.

5. rcm360

rcm360 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Reese
    There are pros and cons either way, so drive both and do what feels best. Personally, I prefer the 6spd. and if it is your first F-car there is something very nostalgic about a gated shifter. Just buy a well maintained car and pay for quality. Enjoy your search

6. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Great advice!!!

7. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    There's plenty of discussion on this, search this forum. Personally I'm a huge F1 fan, but both options have their merits.

The only thing I'll say for now is don't let some scary F1 maintenance costs scare you away. There's a few horror stories around, but those are rare and IF something does go wrong there's many lower cost fixes that have been posted in here. And you must watch the youtube video explaining how it works (link has been posted, you'll find it in one of those threads).

Good luck!

8. Agent_355

Agent_355 Karting

May 13, 2007
    Richmond Hill, Ont
    Absolutely, I did not like the F1 transmission the first few time I drove with one. The problem was I did not spend much time with them as they were not my cars, I was searching at the time. In the end I ended up buying one, since the wife liked the "AUTO" button , and I have changed my tune. I actually prefer the F1 now. My only recommendation based on my own experience is it is not a transmission that loves traffic and stop and go driving. If you are planning to use the car much in the city I might sway towards the 6-Spd so you have control over clutch slippage. Every 355 F1 I have been in seems to slip the clutch more than necessary in stop and go. Just my $0.02.

9. StanT

StanT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2007
    Vienna, VA
    I just got a '98 F1 GTS, after driving a Mondial t 5-speed for several years.

F1 Pros: Easier, faster shifts, espcially downshifts.
    "Cool" factor.
    My wife can drive it in "Auto" mode
    "Hill holder" ability

F1 Cons: Somewhat less authentic/involved.
    Can't feather the clutch and rev the engine for show.

F1 Not sure: Getting to see/having to look at/ Gear indicator between speedo and tach

Good advice above-get what YOU like better.

10. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Excellent tip, the F1 is not a stop and go car. ONCE I was sitting in stop and go on the highway going down to the dealer and it was just painful. Works just fine but I couldn't help but worry that I was taking hundreds of miles off the clutch life...

11. billyfitness

billyfitness Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    #11 billyfitness, Dec 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have SMG on my M3 so that satisfies the convenience and accuracy factor on the track.
    IMO I would not own a Ferrari with F1. I just feel more involved with the car and driving experience when shifting.
    -Billy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Exactly......Want to feel the real drivablility of a car then slice through the gears. Also many stories heard about F1 clutches lasting only 15k or so. Not for me.

13. Theo

Theo Formula Junior

May 6, 2002
    Westford, MA
    Full Name:
    Theo Pappas
    When I was in the market for 355s a few years ago, I drove a few 6 speeds. Then I drove a F1 and decided an F1 was the only way to go. Maybe its because I follow F1 racing, or maybe its because I can drive harder/faster/safer with the F1, but in the end I just love it. And that's what counts.

You have to drive both kinds and if you are like most of us, you will know right away which one is for you.

Theo

14. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Really? TOTAL opposite if you ask me. IMO, get the manual. Plus the gate looks cool!

15. coledoggy

coledoggy Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    ole miss
    Full Name:
    todd
    i've never had a f1 in a 355, i did in the 360 and hated it. so i traded the car for a stradale, now thats fun. no way does the 355 shift that fast, so i would never even entertain a f1 for a 355. plus the gated shifter in the 355, which i have, is so much more fun than even a 360 base f1. not to mention if that joker breaks, ouch.

16. Bobert

Bobert Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Oak Hill VA
    I drove both...bought 6-speed. When the seal blew at 25K miles...I put in a new clutch/pressure plate...really did not need to as they had lots of life (probably 40k miles or more). The six speed is more reliable in the 355, clutch lasts longer, cheaper to repair and the click of the gear lever is

PRICELESS!

17. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    In all seriousness how hard is it to drive a manual car? Only driven 3 cars and all them and every car I'm around is an auto. Thinking about it in my head it doesn't seem to be all that easy but that all could change after I learn,

18. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    It is pretty easy to learn the basics of driving a manual transmission car - it may take you a few days/weeks to get comfortable with handling the clutch .... but ... it takes a long time to get smooth. I have driven manual cars for about 11 years and feel that I can still improve.

19. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Do you enjoy shifting your gears? If yes ... then the choice is clear - manual. Or are you the kind who has driven manual cars all their life and wants a change - go F1. Either way you get a fine Ferrari.

The F1 will make a lot of sense on the track with less potential for synchro/clutch abuse. You can focus more on the driving line and less on the shifting. But then you dont get the pleasure of executing a perfect shift. The manual makes more sense on street driving - less clutch abuse and the ability to skip gears while shifting.

I would chose a manual Ferrari over a F1 Ferrari whereever I have a choice - just because I like to shift gears. But I also want to buy a CS which is F1 only.

20. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    I have owned both (in 355 form), first up I brought an F1 car, I like trick stuff, and the F1 system is certainly trick, there is a coolness about flipping paddles, its a good system to live with and makes driving fast on the track or twisty roads a real pleasure. It is however a system that drives hard all the time, what I mean is when you shift its like slamming a manual through the gears every time, its fast and fun, but it must be hard on the car over a long time, compared to a stick shift where you can just coast through the gears if your not in a rush.

I love my stick shift, there is something about having a clutch pedal and gear stick, the shifter has a look about it also.

The advice you have been given here is solid, drive them both, they are different but they are both great, if your like me you will love them both on there own merit and weather the car has one or the other will not be a deal breaker.

21. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Great sumation :)!!

22. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks Goth.

BTW I’m now out of the Nero club and into the Spider club, couldn't have both unfortunately.

23. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    mitigate your risks in servicing these beauties, I say - go 6!

24. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I prefer the stick
    But ultimately its your choice

Drive and decide

25. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name: