Dino 308GT4 ? | FerrariChat

Dino 308GT4 ?

Discussion in '308/328' started by parkerfe, Dec 20, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Tell me about them...I am thinking of making a change from my BB512i and have been concentrating on 2+2s such as the 250GTE, 330 2+2 and 365GTC/4 so I would have a back seat to use to take my three daughters for a Sunday ride now and then...but after looking at Peter's Dino 308GT4...I kinda like it...they really are cool cars with a usable back seat, handle great and make all the right sounds...I would want an early euro-spec model with all Dino badging...just like Enzo intended...not the sales weasels who changed them to Ferrari to boast sales...are there any good ones out there for sale and how much do they change hands for?

2. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    #2 jimshadow, Dec 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    IMO, they are the 'sleeper' Ferrari. Rides like a go-kart, WONDERFUL motor, CARBS, useable back seat and trunk. It gets less respect because Bertone, not Pininfarina styled it. There are few Euro GT4 cars out there and even fewer with all original badging. Maybe some lurkers or someone who knows someone off list, but not much talked about. I take my daughters (8 and 6) for rides all the time. They still have no problem getting back there or riding comfortablly.
    The downside is the sodium exhaust valves, so look for a car that's had them replaced if you can.
    For an early Euro car with all the badging in excellent shape, services up to date, expect to pay $35-$42K atleast.
    For a car that is in good to great shape needing a service, or last service approaching 5 years, probablly $25-$35K.
    Ebay cars change hands often for low to mid $20's. These (in general) are great cars for the DIY'er to tinker with. :)

Attached is a pic of my Euro car.
    I'm not an 'everything has to be original' type guy. I've put on 328 wheels and will be going to a SS exhaust (on order) and electronic ignition soon.

Good luck!

JIM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Sell me the 512BBi .. that is my dream 12 cylinder car.

4. Timo04

Timo04 Karting

Jul 2, 2007
    S.F. Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Jim,

That is a beautiful GT4!

Happy Holidays & Cheers,

Tim

5. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Thanks!!! She is hiding under a carcover trying to stay warm in this cold weather we're having, not to mention the 8 or 9 inches of snow out there. :)

Happy Holidays to you as well.

FORZA FERRARI!

JIM

6. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Depending on your height, I would question usable back seats. I am about 6'1" and had to have the seat all the way back in it's tracks. This left very little room behind me. It also depends on how big your kids are. However, it was a fun little car. It now graces the pages of the Griot's catalog occasionally.

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The back seat would be for one or two of my 9, 12 or 13 year old daughters

8. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    #9 jimshadow, Dec 21, 2007
    The backseats are going to be less usable than say a Mondial Coupe. My 8 and 6 year olds fit back there fine, though I do have to put my seat up 1 notch to accomodate if the taller one is on my side. Now, if you were taking 1 at a time, then you could put the pass. seat fwd and the space back there would be fine....
    Two of the 3 in the back seat here are mine...:)

JIM

9. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    I'm 6'1" and put the seat up 2 or 3-clicks. All the way back, and I cannot adequately reach the pedals. Then again, I'm used to driving the Alfa Spider, so I'm used to slouching down in the seat :p a little anyway. But that was one of the main points of getting a GT4 for me. Legroom! And very happily plenty of it too! It's the most "practical" Ferrari on several fronts.

My 6'2" son has fit into the passenger side backseat. His friend, 6'3" and aproacheing 250lbs., was in the passenger seat, but had it up a click or two. With his knees kicked-up to the side and his hands gently resting in his lap, he was comfortable for about 45min. driving around town. And no, his head did not hit the roof. Almost though, but not quite. And I wouldn't reccommend a long or spritited drive with someone that large back there. It probably wouldn't be very comfortable. If you want to do that, get the other (365) GT4.

Just my 2-sense..

10. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    As much as I love the GT4's, a 365/GTC4 would be awsum. Especially if you want to stay with the 12cyl car. Well actually they all would be pretty cool. The Dino is a great car and a blast to drive, would be less $$$ to maintain that the other models you mentioned. Finding a Euro car may take some time but they are out there. As for the badges, they were changed by Ferrari. True some of the first ones were changed at the dealerships when the change was dictated, but it was Ferrari's call. Not some posers. There are some great buyers guides to read thru. The Ferrari life buyers Portfolio is available at Amazon.com and has had great reviews. Check it out! It has a great write up on the GT/4's! :D

Cheers!

11. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    #12 davem, Dec 21, 2007
  12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    It was FNA's call, not Ferrari Spa and is was number crunching sales weasels at FNA that made that call due to the Dino badged cars not selling...not Enzo... Enzo named the car after his late sin Dino...

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Now that's a real beauty...looks so much better than the USA-spec models with the ugly picnic table bumpers...plus the euro-spec has the hotter cams and is lighter for more performance...I like

14. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    Does not FNA get their directves from Spa? If not, the FNA is still Ferrari none the less. And yes of course Dino was Enzo's son. Duh. Perhaps one of the cars you mentioned is a better choise for you. The GT4 gang here is a great bunch, I don't see the need to try and cause a rift between Dino badge cars and Ferrari badged cars. Were all just one happy family. I don't know why your asking any questions here, you seem to know everything allready. Why you have this negitive oversion to the badging of the later cars is beyond me. They are what they are. The obvious fact that you prefer a early Euro model is fine, but they still are all Ferrari Dino's reguardless on how their badged. Actually the 250 or the 330 would have more room for the kids anyway.

15. ferrariguyma

ferrariguyma Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think being Parker is so Badge and Bumper sensitive he should buy Dave's car. Heck he get TWO Bertone badges if he does. That must count for something right?

:)

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Aren't we touchy...I have no intent to start a rift...but I do know the story of the Dino to Ferrari badging as was told to me by then FAF owner John Apen...at that time it was almost impossible to sell a Dino badged car...Ferrari dealers lobbied FNA which lobbied Ferrari Spa to allow the dealers to rebadge the current Dino inventory which was done...in fact a friend of mine and local body shop owner, Bo Pirkle changed the badges for FAF including having to reshape the recess for the front badge as the Dino badge was shaped different...oddly enough the little Dinos were easier to sell with the Ferrari badging ...a sad testament to status seeking American consumers..after all, the cars were no different..just the badging. Ferrari Spa was happy that the cars were finally selling and decided to badge new editions as a Ferrari from the factory...sounds like something GM would do...The reason I like the Dino badged cars over the Ferrari rebadged or badged ones is that is what they were designed to be in memory of Enzo's son as well as the fact that I just like the looks of the Dino badges....in fact, if I had a Ferrari rebadged Dino, I would replace the Ferrari badging with Dino badging, wheel center caps, ect... as far as the euro verses USA spec cars...who wouldn't prefer the hotter cams and ignition, lighter weight and smaller bumpers?...do you honestly like the look of the USA-spec bumpers?... you can not possibly be trying to say you like the way those things look...my BB512i had such ugly things installed as part of the DOT gray market conversion process that I promptly changed back to the euro-spec look including the removal of the rectangular side marker lights that look like they came off a boat trailer...and FYI, there is no such thing as a Ferrari Dino...there are Dino 308GT4s and Ferrari badged 308GT4s...the Dino marque was created to be a separate stand along marque...not a model of Ferrari...until egocentric US consumers forced FNA's hand solely for economic reasons...by the way, there are no Ferrari Maseratis either...

17. dipstick1

dipstick1 Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter Lombardo
    See attached service/technical bulletin from ferrari, regarding the addition of ferrari badges to the 308gt4, dated january 7 1975, I have never seen a car with 2 nose badges, but the addition of the horse on the rear panel and steering wheel doesnt seem to detract too much from the original design. I am fortunate to have a 75 gt4 with only the original badges and intend to keep it that way. or go to

http://dino308gt4.com/downloads/TechRevs-308GT4.pdf

18. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    #19 Jay GT4, Dec 21, 2007
    Frank, some of the early US cars have the same Euro cams (mine does) as well as the euro intake, fuel tanks and other Euro odds and ends. I don't think there was much control at the factory in the early 70's. Of course you are still stuck with the heavy US bumpers but there is a mod which can "push" them in so that they are not as bulky...Here's a photo to compare. Both are 1975 US cars but mine has had the bumper pushed in...

19. ferrariguyma

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    #20 ferrariguyma, Dec 21, 2007
    I heard a rumor that Dino was the bastard child of Enzo and a French Prostitute.

20. flaviaman

flaviaman Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Vernonia, OR
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I can tell you that as a young lad working at a Ferrari dealership in the 1970's client's did want a Ferrari, as opposed to a Dino...and yes Modern Classic Motors (this was pre FNA days...) sent us kits with bumpers, badges, horn buttons, new tailpipes etc. I was always amazed (and continue to be) at the number of six cylinder Dinos that are littered with Prancing Horses on the aft end. In retrospect it is a shame so many cars were modified IMO.

On a factory tour in the late 70's I was fortunate enough to be able to walk through "the junk/scrap/prototipo yard" (thank you Signnor Goldoni!) and saw a very beat-up 308GTB, obviously in glass, the front nose panel was recessed for a Dino badge rather than a Ferrari badge.

Ferrari obviously did use the Dino nonenclature on the rear boot badge till the end of production, I take umbrage with the comment that "there is no such thing as a Ferrari Dino 308GT4"! Or a 208GT4 for that matter....

Finally, when DOT mandated the 17 digit VIN for 1980my Ferrari has one prefix, curiously enough Dino was allocated a different prefix!

21. ferrariguyma

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  22. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #23 308 GTB, Dec 21, 2007
    You probably saw this buck, Gregg:

23. flaviaman

flaviaman Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Vernonia, OR
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Yup! The Factory was a very different place in those days, everything (and most everyone) were accessible!

24. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    Yes the GT/4s were rebadged to help sales. But the sales were low at first because of the Bertone styling, having followed the 246 would have been tough for anything, especially if not penned by Pinnin farina. Its funny, the Dino purists say the GT4 is no Dino, the Ferrari purists say its no Ferrari. Crazy! I absolutely prefer the euro styling/specs over the US. never said anything to the contrary? If you rebadged a later model GT4 to have Dino markings then the car would incorrect for the year. Then who'd be the poser? My car has Ferrari and Dino all over it, on the gauges, vents, steering colum where the vin# is. I.D. plates, the engine says Ferrari on it too. Its quite the contaversial car to say the least. I recall hearing something about how Dino was pushing for a 6cly car and eventially the 246 was born. To tell the truth, I'd keep the Boxer! Say....I'll trade ya! :D

(a maserati/ferrari...don't be stupid, though the new ones do have Ferrari engines......HHhhmmmmmm)