612 Shooting Break | FerrariChat

612 Shooting Break

Discussion in '612/599' started by Michiel Mobiel, Dec 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    #1 Michiel Mobiel, Dec 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I could use some inspiration / input.

We're working on a 612 Shooting Break and I'm currently listing all various types of usage.
    Shooting Breaks were designed for hunting on large private estates, but were also used for carrying all the gear to play golf, cricket, etc.
    You can also think of horseback riding or falconry.

My question to you is: What type of activity would you use the Shooting Break for?
    Please mention anything that comes up in your mind, good or bad, realistic or not... anything can be useful.

Thanks!

Best regards, Michiel.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BANANA

BANANA Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    taking the dog out. so make sure it has the option of a heavy duty water proof rubber boot floor for the wet and muddy paws of a dog. tan or white carpets definitely won't do.

3. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    Perfect! Thanks.
    Keep them coming.

Just have fun using your imagination.

4. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    #4 Michiel Mobiel, Dec 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    If for hunting, then a way to secure the shotguns in a fashionable and safe way...an interior detail. And a trunk detail that can store dead birds as well as keep them cool would be good.

If for hunting with a vice president, then perhaps some electronic method of sorting out human faces from tiny flying birds would be of help...as we all know there is extreme difficulty in the heat of the hunt discerning between a fully grown old man versus a fully grown flight of feather flock animal.

...you might even be able to sell that to the military industrial complex.

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The reality is that a 612 "Shooting Brake" wouldn't actually ever be used for hunting. I highly doubt the 456 "Shooting Brake" cars were. They were used to take the kids and dogs shopping on High Street.

7. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Definitely for skiing...

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I would use to carry the slicks / helmets and other track stuff for when i take my F40 on the track :D

9. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    Cool! A service car!
    A medical safetycar for Dr. Watkins would also be great.

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Transporting the family to Wally World, redux, of course.

1] Hubcaps wouldn't be stolen in St. Louis.
    2] Aunt Edna's dog, Dinky wouldn't keep up for more than a few yards after leaving Kamp Komfort.
    3] Aunt Edna's final ride would be more streamlined.
    4] Clark would be more convincing as a Hotelier to The Girl In The [other] Ferrari.
    5] The Griswolds would certainly get to Wally World faster, but still run risk of hearing;
    "Sorry folks! We're closed for two weeks to clean and repair America's favorite family fun park!"

11. furious_ferrari

furious_ferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Phil
    That would be perfect to take my hockey gear around in. I like it.

12. Funinthesun

Funinthesun Rookie

Aug 11, 2007
    Bahrain
    Full Name:
    Salman
    Walking sticks/guns and a picnic set plus a pair of thermoses and binoculars ... Place for muddy boots ... just a few ideas oh and storage for blankets

13. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    Exactly, therefore this thread.

14. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    a wine, foie gras, caviar, brie tailgate spread at the fox hunt . . . and room for the saddle, your tack, and maybe even a hound or two.

I live not too far from Middleburg/Leesburg, Virginia - a car like this would definitely be used by the fox/horse set during hunt season

15. Necx0

Necx0 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wow my only exposure to your work Michiel was the 599-->> 250 GTO project and I must admit I thought "what the hell is the point??" especially when taking into account the enormous cost. That is just a personal opinion of course, I certainly don't mean any offence.

However if you get the actual version to look like that rendering, oh my god that is a stunningly beautiful looking car. I have always thought the 612 looked quite good (I am one of the few I think) but that takes it to a whole new level.

So in answer to your question, it needs no use other than to look beautiful. However if it had some decent luggage space golf clubs would probably be the number one use for it. A service car for track days would also be an awesome idea. A "practical" wagon would be a great idea. Like others have mentioned rubber floors, washable surfaces in the back etc. would be fabulous.

Best of luck with it, I hope you build it!!
    Scott

16. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    For a selected group the enormous costs are not the point...

Thank you!
    I've made several more changes in that rendering besides the shooting break rear end.
    There now is a gap behind the front wheel accented by a machete-like-shape in bear metal.
    I also removed the long crease that runs from the top of the front wheel arch to the rear to make the bodyshape look cleaner.

So do I ! Working on it. ;)

Have you seen our GT Convertible based on the 599 GTB?

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178955

17. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    nice

18. Necx0

Necx0 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I did notice the machete shape. I like that very much, draws attention to the scalloped sides which really makes it look good I think. It reminds me of the treatment on the latest XJ-R only much more tasteful.

I have seen the 599 Convertible. Hard for me to comment as I don't like the look of the 599 to begin with. I am not a fan of the two tone on it and don't like the wheels much either. These are purely the comments of a (perhaps overly critical) armchair critic so take it with a grain of salt. Other people may think these are the best features of the car. The idea of a 599 convertible is a good one though. The 612 Shooting Brake has captured my imagination though.

19. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yes to all of the above, with the last one being the most likely.

Even with full blown snow tires, I don’t know if an immensely powerful rear wheel drive car will be much use in heavy snow.

20. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    I concour on Andrew's idea of service car. Ski is also a good point (altough i don't ski that much, a ski top case for the car would be a good accessory line for the project).

Also having a bigger trunk allows you to take more things for a longer holiday: a plain surface from the bumper to the rear seats would be great but where do you put the tank?

21. mat

mat Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2006
    Warsaw/Lodz, Poland
    Full Name:
    Mateusz
    i'd see it as a sleek aerodynamic coupe, something like 250 SWB Breadvan or Spada Codatronca

22. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    +1

Also, what about camping? Room for tent/etc? I think item specific storage in the rear floor board would be really nice. They could have the car tailored to their needs. If they hunt, there could be room in the floor for shotguns, a couple pistols, whatever other hunting gear they'll use, etc. If they golf a lot or play rugby, they could have room in the floor for clubs/rugby gear, etc. Then they would still have the entire back area open for whatever they want to put back there. Plus it would be an added safety bonus as the expensive items wouldn't be out in open view, if that even matters at all. The spare tire would probably have to go under the rear end if it's located back there. Also maybe put a nice light on the back door, so when it opens they would have plenty of lighting. Also consider game hooks mounted on the ceiling in the rear compartment, so they could hang up the small birds/etc on the way home.

Just some thoughts. You do some amazing work btw :)

23. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    A terrific conveyance for cucumber sandwiches to polo matches, or for ferrying one's Yorkshire Terriers to a canine spa for the weekend.:cool:

24. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    I would use it for groceries and also towing the 430 to the track :p

OK- Im serious on the groceries part.

Another nice design Michael.

best regards,
    Jerry

25. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Take it tailgating to your alma mater and show up all your class/frat mates.