Any Aston Martin Chat Sites? | FerrariChat

Any Aston Martin Chat Sites?

Discussion in 'British' started by Mrpbody44, Dec 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    FerrariChat is one of the best auto chat sites I have found. I am thinking of getting a DB7 since they are so cheap now. are there any good Aston Martin chat sites that are good?

2. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    AMOC.org

CW

3. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Possibly the aston forum on Pistonheads?

4. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    Thanks for the links. I went and drove one today and must say that I was very disapointed in the car. The car was kind of a slug and handled like an American car. May be the suspention bushings were shot. May be I should look at getting the Maserati or save my $$ for a used 465 or 550. Liked the looks of the Aston but driving quality was not there at all.

5. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Generally speaking, I think the DB7 is the least interesting of the newer AMs. First, the car is now dated as it's basically 80's technology. Second, it looks an awful lot like the Jag. Third, only the DB7 GT (with the manual tranny) goes beyond a Palm Beach boulevard cruiser. Relative to Ferraris, the AMs don't quite measure up (except in the looks department).

However, if you broaden the search to include the DB9 (a very nice car, but possibly too "metrosexual"), the Vantage (stubby, IMO, but with the newly announced 600+bhp engine option...more interesting) and the Vanquish (my choice is the S), the performance picks up significantly. The DBS would be quite intriguing IF the thing didn't cost nearly $300K, and as you so rightly point out, the depreciation on these bad boys is extraordinary!

Anyway, I'm currently looking hard at a Vanq S. More than I want to pay, though. And, once you add in all the nonsense (tax, insurance, operating costs), the AMs aren't cheap.

But, they do look the business. And, what glorious sounds! There are only a few cars that I would be interested in other than a couple of older F cars, and the Vanq S is one of them. Somehow, I think AM has stolen the "crumpet collector" crown from Jag!

CW

6. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    I guess I have bee spoiled driving Lotus's and TVR's. I think I am finding out that I realy am not a GT guy after all.

7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    After those two a new Mini Cooper would feel like a pig.
    Check out the Porsche GT2 or 3.

8. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    I have had 911's liked them but didn't love them like my Alfas,Lotus's and TVR's. I just do not like the style of the new cars. New Porsches look too much Toyota for my tastes. I may have a look at a new Vette. I drove one recently and was very impressed with it. (Good lord I can't believe I am thinking this after being a British and Italian car guy for over 30 years. Time to call the doctor and have my medication adjusted.)