has anyone used K&N oil fillters for their ferrari? | FerrariChat

has anyone used K&N oil fillters for their ferrari?

Discussion in '308/328' started by irondogmike, Dec 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    today I checked at napa auto parts and they have k&n oil filters that have the anti flow back flap built in at a price of $13.75, but b4 I buy anything to put on my car I'll check here to see what the odds are if anyone else has,I want to wish everyone a merry christmas and in the past if I seemed to jab at you or have these little remarks about something its not to be mean,Its dry humor I know but I'm a Ironworker and at work its like that all day,sometimes fun sometimes not but it gets me through the day up 1700ft and climbing,I'll try not to bring this attude home..............ho.ho..ho...........P.S.........I'll post pic's next week on the skyscrapper I'm working on in Sacramento,its going up 27 floors and through the winter

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    #2 MS250, Dec 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    i use fram on my 308. Havent had any issues. I didnt know K&N had them for 308s.

MerryXmas to you too mate...all the best in 2008 !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    big red I have fram also on my 308,I've had her for three months now,and thats what the last owner put on, does the fram have the anti flow flap

4. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    i have no idea from a technical side...but if the man says fram is the filter...then thats what it is...on my TR he suggests i use the ferrari original...so thats what i use.

5. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    I'm driving my 308 today while its dry and not rainy,so I'm enjoy it while I can,hope to see you in the future runs and big red and family have a safe holiday

6. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    My '78 308 came with a K&N installed. While I am not a fan of K&N generally, as I don't believe they do as effective a job of cleaning the inflow air as they should, I'll keep using it for now. But probably would not buy one unless it was really cheap.

7. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    you too mate...but the snow up here is a killer :D...its been a tough 6 weeks already, given winter only started 2 days ago ;)

Al the best to you as well !!

8. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  9. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I use Baldwin and they are $2 cheaper. Merry Christmas

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    See this thread for a figure expaining what happens (and the status of the K&N):

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176051&highlight=standpipe&page=2

The unique feature in the Baldwin B253, the Fram PH2804-1, or the stock UFI oil filters is the internal standpipe that, in conjuction with a working Anti-Drainback Valve, tries to hold some oil inside the oil filter after shutoff.

11. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur
    I, too, have used the Fram 2804-1 with no obvious issues. However, after switching to the Baldwin, I notice the oil pressure comes right up after startup. This was not the case with the Frams-there were always a few seconds where no pressure was indicated. Is the time interval between startup and the indication of pressure harmful? It doesn't seem to be, but just knowing that it shows pressure sooner with the Baldwin is enough for me to convert to the Baldwin. A reputable mechanic I know swears by the quality and filtration of the Baldwins over anything else also, and he has taken more than a few apart to see what goes on inside. Guess the only way to really know is to look at the bearings someday...

12. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    I now use Baldwin B253 in the 328 after reading the numerous posts. I had been using the UFI filters that I purchased last time we were in southern California. I had to stop by the Ferrari dealership in BH. Strange to find the BH service dept. is not located at the same location as the showroom.

Anyway, I bought my Baldwins at www.adiesel.com

I think the price was $34 for two including shipping.

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year.

13. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #13 Steve Magnusson, Dec 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Certainly best to minimizes this delay for any single restart and for the total of all restarts IMO. The naysayers will say that the Anti-Drainback Valve can't seal indefinitely (so a restart after a very, very lengthy delay with the Baldwin or UFI might be no better than a typical standpipe-less filter), but for the same price or less (and if obtained via reasonable hassle), why not try to help keep the cumulative total time to pressurization down? Paying more for the (present design) K&N is no special value IMO compared to the Baldwin or UFI.

(The ADV inside the Fram is one of the troublespots -- a particularly poor one shown in the jpeg. If the ADV doesn't seal well, this renders the standpipe ineffective, and your Fram PH2804-1 behaves much like a standpipe-less filter with a broken ADV -- which further lengthens the time, even compared to a standpipe-less filter with a working ADV, since the oil inlet lines and pump may be empty at restart. Many 308 Fram users have experienced this -- welcome to the club ;). Is every Fram bad (functionally)? Probably not. Nor is it likely that every Baldwin or UFI is perfect, but, until someone posts better looking Fram internals, the Baldwin or UFI are a much better value when at similar price).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I have been using the Baldwin B-253 for 5 years now, with absolutely no problems.