I'm Surprised... | FerrariChat

I'm Surprised...

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rv5, Dec 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rv5

Rv5 Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ross V
    that 95% of the 3x8s I see still have stock wheels. I think the stock wheel compliments the boyd style quite nicely, but tire selection for the 16 inchers has to be pretty thin, and I would imagine youd pick up some noticeable handling improvements stepping up to a 17. Is there a technical reason people stick with the stock rims, or is that just the general preference of the population?

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You kind of answered it. Aesthetically, the OEM rims are perfect for the car. There are a few cars where the OEM design is as integral to the design, and iconic -- a lot of people can identify a 308/328 just by a photo of the wheel (sans center cap). I've seen 308/328s with everything from 360 wheels to '80s BBS gold-centered wheels -- and they always look either slightly or horribly wrong.

I'd be curious to see OEM-like 17" wheels. As long as they retained the thick five-spoke design (to conceal the puny brake rotors), they could be fine and, as you point out, would let owners run a wider selection of rubber.

3. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    +1 (it works (and very well),...don't fix it)

4. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I like the bigger wheels.

My 308 came out with the 14" wheels which I think made the car a little under tyred. Mind you thats only after seeing it with bigger wheels.

Then someone fitted the metric wheels and I have just got the 16's and they will look good. I also belive they will handle better on track days as there is less side wall movement so therefore higher cornering speeds.

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The biggest problem is that freaking oddball bolt pattern. I'm certain if the Ferrari matched something other than the Volvo, we'd see a lot more custom wheels. As it is, Fcar owners get the Fcar tax, as wheels that are $500 each for Hondas are offered at $1500 each for Ferraris

6. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    the 308 has the same problem the single bolt TR has. The new rim and rubber price is unjustifable compared to the resale or purchase price of the car...therefore, you stick with what you have. Last time i looked for wheels for my TR, i think the total was around $6,500 for the completed set adding on 18s. I opted for the $1,200 dunlops and kept the car original, and took the family out to Disney with the difference.....was the better choice ;)

7. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I've not seen an aftermarket rim i'd change the stock ones for other than the repros that emulate the look of the original QV's.

8. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    not even the gold BBS rims ?

9. pdmracing

pdmracing Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2007
    atlanta
    Aftermarket Price is crazy, I found these guys & they will build any wheel to our size, I love them, they look great & are TUV approved so they definitely have an oem quality look to them, the improvement in ride & handeling is amazing, not to mention a set with all hardware & new tires were the same price as one set of repo xwx's. So I still have my beutiful stock wheels & another set with safe modern go anywhere rubber.
    Now even 16 inch tire choices are disapearing, 17's + will be the way top go & the oem ferrari in 17 just look crappy when retrofitted imop

www.ronalusa.com
    I had the r41 made in 17x 8 for my gt4 for around 1k with shipping, cnc spacers & lugs. The rotors even look good because of the oem style rim itself.

10. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #10 enjoythemusic, Dec 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are some Kinesis K27. Sadly, out of production but i have two sets for sale at very good price. Have better/more pics on the website link below.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's about originality IMO.......if you really care about presenting the car 'as designed' then you run OEM.

I can get you Goodyears for whatever rim you need, except maybe the 390mm, they shipped me some REAL nice 14" Fulda Assuros in from Eastern Europe last month and I am working with the Goodyear North American Performance Tire Manager to get US distrubition set up...

The set (five) they sent me must have had interior seats on the plane, judgeing from the Freight Bill........had four different airline tags. ROTFLMAO!

We gonna kick some Michelin azzzzzzzzz.......:) :)

Goodyear is #1 in Vintage Racing

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Someone should jump on Enjoythemusic's offer, if they are looking for nice 17"s.........

13. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks

The expensive tickets from the taste police sent them all to the recycle bin.

14. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I admit I once thought those were cool ... back in 1984. R&T had an article with Dan Gurney taking a spin in a 308 QV, and it had those wheels. Well-photographed, Euro car.

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No, I have some 16" Etioles and some BBS that were gold trimmed and I resprayed the center casting in silver or body color, and it calmed them down a little bit, for track tire use........

What's the dates of your Houston Show????

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Bondurant ran them in a R&T test of the early 1976 308GTB as well.............

17. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    For me, originality is crucial. No aftermarket wheels, or carbon fiber shift knobs, or metal pedals etc. Obviously, some people like aftermarket stuff as they feel it allows them to customize the car to suit their taste and thats fine...but its not my thing.

In addition, many wheels look way too modern, too chromed and turn the car into a blinged out pimp-mobile. If I were going to change my wheels it would have to be to something subdued that blends in and looks appropriate with the car, rather than screaming hey look at my $5,000 aftermarket rims. Occasionally I've seen aftermarket wheels that are pretty good like maybe Speedline that look like larger factory wheels (my friend Bill has a nice set on his 328). Or I suppose if you like 3 piece BBS in silver they might be ok (they are a bit dated, but they are period correct for aftermarket wheels).

I did consider getting some aftermarket 17" wheels and tires for regular use and keeping the OEM for shows. But I really could not find anything I liked and there wasn't much in production available to fit a 328. In terms of tire selection yes, having 16s may be a bit limiting but there are still some very good tires available from Goodyear and Bridgestone. In addition, the owner of the service shop where I take my car said the choice of tires for 17s is getting slimmer (he mentioned this with regard to sizes available for 348s). So if the selection is getting slimmer for 17's there may not be much advantage in terms of selection by moving up to 17s, and since I do not track the car, I just stuck with stock wheels.

Best regards,
    Dino

18. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #18 308 GTB, Dec 28, 2007
    15 X 8.5 BBS with 225/60VR15 Pirelli P7s

19. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    In ten years are we gonna be scratchin' our heads wondering how we ever liked those aluminum petals and shift knobs??

There was a time i wanted a set of those gold BBS wheels for a BMW 318. Think i had a pair of parachute pants at one point too.

Houston Auto Show Jan 26- Feb 3 2008

20. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    i think that was the era of girls in Vidal Sasson, and Jordach tight jeans...oh, the good old days :D

Yeah, Barry put that pic up from the article, those are the rims i seem to recall back in the day, many 308s had those rims on.

21. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #21 308 GTB, Dec 28, 2007
  22. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    you need to change your name Barry to :

"308 Historian" :D:D:D:D

23. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #23 308 GTB, Dec 28, 2007
    Well, the Jordache Look is back

24. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Actually the sizes 205/55X16 & 225/50X16 are very common and can be had in a large number of brands, performance levels and price ranges. Finding decent 14 inch or 390's is very frustrating.

Dave

25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Dave my posts are all over the threads but Goodyear is flying me nice 14" Fulda Assuro gatorbacks from Europe if you need them.

A little pricey in sets of 5 but if I can show demand they'll set us up North American distribution, maybe from Houston!