308 "glass" badging | FerrariChat

308 "glass" badging

Discussion in '308/328' started by MS250, Dec 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    #1 MS250, Dec 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have seen a few US 308 glass cars with the badging on the passenger side only, but today i saw a dry sump Euro glass and the badging was on the driver side only. Does anyone with another euro confim this ? how about the r/d glass in Aussie ? Did ferrari make this badging different for the different markets ?

any pics to show the difference ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    #2 Gleggy, Dec 30, 2007
  3. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    thanks Gleggy, now we know about the r/h drive cars. How about the Euro dry sump l/h drive ?

I have gone through some pics on the internet, but cant tell.

4. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I believe that the correct badging is always on the driver side. No difference for glass or steel cars.

5. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    #5 TexasMike, Dec 30, 2007
  6. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    All euro FG 308's I have seen have the badge on the side opposite of the driver. All steel euro 308's I have seen have the badge on the driver's side. I'm using driver's side on purpose, to include UK delivered cars(to prevent confusion with left and right side)

7. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Hi,

this one car is a Euro i saw, but the badging was on the driver, the holes were clearly there for the badging, nothing on the passenger side. Hard to imiagine this car is incorrect, you would need to take the gas tank out to but the clips in on that side. Can you verify it, or know where, and where the pic is ?

TexasMike, 308GTB (barry) on this site, and i both have glass US spec like yours and we also have it on the passenger side like your car. I think we have established this to be correct now.

also, looks like the Aussie (r/h drive) cars the badging comes on the driver. I have a feeling that the Euro dry sumps also come on the driver......and that only the US spec ones they did on the passenger.

anymore pics ?

8. cptndon

cptndon Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2005
    Annapolis
    20695 'glass Euro(German) has the badge on the passenger side.

9. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    #9 8valve, Dec 30, 2007
    My first 308 was a 1977 steel car (21747) euro dry sump, badge on driver's side
    My second 308 is a 1980 steel car (33007) euro dry sump, badge on driver's side.
    ALL the euro 308 glassfibre cars I have seen with the steering wheel on the left side, had the badge on the passenger's side.
    These are just the facts as I have observed them.....

Also see these threads to add to the confusion

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14713

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38392

10. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Wow, Mick, is that your GTB? NICE!!!!! Especially with the 16" wheels on it...

Whereabout in NL are you?

Hans
    (Almere, moving to Utrecht in a few weeks)

11. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    In Amsterdam.
    I don't have the blue one anymore. I've had the black one for 3,5 years now.
    I'm still contemplating to put her on 16" wheels. I have collected about 10 of these wheels (7j+8j, Speedline,Cromodora) in the past years to match a nice set of four....

12. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Guys Goodmorning! I don't mean to deviate from your original subject, but I do have a question as I am a first time ferrari owner(1 year now) my 84 308 GTB QV. U.S. version is only badged on the drivers side. When I contacted "Kare" of ferrari chat to give him my vin.# he said that mine is the only one he has come across like that. I know the car was in Hawaii for a brief time and sustained some very light damage to one of the rear quarters at the dock, I just always assumed it was the passenger rear quarter and never really thought about why there wasn't any holes in the quarter for mounting the badge. I've already purchased another badge to replace the one I thought was missing and was going to mount it in the near future. My question: Is my car only suppose to have that one badge on the drivers side? Thanks for any advice. Kim

13. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    There is a 1977 Fibreglass car for sale in Germany that has the badge on the driver's side. In one of the earlier F-chat threads that I posted a link for, Newman suggests that the change did not come with the change from plastic to steel, but from the production year 1976 to 1977......hmmmm, interesting!

14. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    # 20861 euro glass LH side

15. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    I think it's safe to say that your badge is on the correct side.

16. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    8valve, My question is "isnt there suppose to be a badge on BOTH sides of my car?"

17. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    nope.

18. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Thanks guys! Sorry for the interuption!

19. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Amsterdam is pretty close! Wanna meet up sometime (and maybe go for a blast through the Piet Hein tunnel together??? :D)

I've got my GT4 on repro wheels from superformance. Work well for me too...

Hans

20. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.

Sure, once the salt has cleared!

21. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    :D

Drove mine today. Almere to Lelystad airport and back. Got it to 6700 rpm in 5th gear on the A6 :D. Lots of thumbs up from other drivers. Big grin on my face.

Then off to the DIY car cleaner to spray off all the salt before tucking him in again in his safe garage.

Anyway, holler once you get yours out of hibernation and we'll do some tunnel runs.

Hans

22. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Red ,the new Ferrari of Ontario dealer opening Fall 2008 will have a Ferrari Classiche department and program for 20+ year old cars to be certified, which involves inspection by the Classiche department to determine that each car is 100% Ferrari,for a not so small fee they would be able to give you the correct answer.
    I think in the very near future all older cars like your Glass Car will need to have this Certificate through the Classiche program to fetch top dollars at sale time,so buyers don't have to worry about buying none correct and butchered cars for far to much dollars.

23. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    who at foo has the knowledge to certify these cars?

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    From what I understand FoO is going through some big changes. New staff and departments and a different outlook towards the older cars. They may have a specific team to do the classic stuff with complete factory support behind them. I'm quite sure in order to get a Ferrari certificate issued, they would need a competent staff to do the work. Overall the dealership as a whole has changed for the better over the last few years..very nice to see, and hear. Its going to be quite the place when finished.

25. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    #25 MS250, Dec 30, 2007
    I dont think the Certificate will be worth much in the futute, Ferrari is banking on it, but it has already (in other threads on fchat) been discredited....... there have been cases of error already on them. Time will tell if it works. For me, i aint concerned because i know my cars are correct, plus the big thing is it wont matter to me because i never intend to sell. I'll let my son worry about that ;)

As for the badging, it does seem that "8valve" and "Newman" may be onto something. The 76 glass' look like they are on the opposite side of the driver, and the 77s seem to be on the drier side. So far i have been able to confirm 5 76 cars (mine included) that the badging is opposite driver, and not Euro specific. Here is a pic of a Euro dry sump, and again badging is on the right side, therefore making it a 76.

Anyother 77 glass cars around that confirm the driver side badging then? Besides Rocks 77 which is on the driver.

Though this now brings up another problem..."GLEGGY" just showed his 76 r/d and the badge is on the driver side. How do we answer this then ??