How to repaint a 328 plenum | FerrariChat

How to repaint a 328 plenum

Discussion in '308/328' started by DMaury, Dec 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I bet some of you are opening this up expecting to see me show you how I did mine! Nope, I'm asking you! ;)

OK, I've blasted the plenum and throttle body down to clean aluminum. I had to remove two coatings; one, the red paint of the plenum, and two, a layer of what appears to be a silver wrinkle finish on both of them. Now, I have to say, I like the bare aluminum look much nicer that the crinkle silver that was on there.

So, have those that have done this repainted with the silver crinkle coat, then the red? Or have you just stuck with the bare aluminum and did the red?

Now on to painting the red. How do you mask all the fins off? Do you even mask them at all, just come back with an abrasive and remove the paint on them?

And finally, what type of finish IS the red pa9int? Is it a crinkle finish originally on the 328's, or is it a regular red laid down over that silver crinkle? It looked pretty smooth coming off in my media blaster.

I'll post some pics once some of you tell me what to DO! ;)

Seriously, thanks you guys for all the trouble you get me into and out of with my car. ;)

2. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Rob, posted an entire step by step on refinishing the 328 plenum in situ no less...
    I believe it was on the old site
    Any ideas where it's at?

Mike

3. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Nope, I did multiple searches for that before posting this topic.

4. 328gtsfan

328gtsfan Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2004
    Aus
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Here is a recent red wrinkle thread, albeit for cam covers which might help.
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117906

And a post about applying the paint.
    Obviously do a test on something.. I've read the VHT paint may be slightly darker than original.

Could this be the original thread you were thinking of? (unfortunately there are no pictures now)
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/8709.html?1018146687

This was also in an older thread (2002)

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    If you are not dead set on OEM, go with POR 15, eastwood or bill hirsch products.

www.eastwood.com
    www.hirschauto.com
    www.por15.com

Off the top of my head, metal ready, self ectching primer, top coat, sand off the fins and Ferari logo. That's what I would do. Very durable and heat resistant.

I've never had good luck or like the rattle can VHT paint products.

6. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    #6 rizzo308, Dec 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    There are so many different ways to approach it. I did valve covers, timing covers and the plenum. You can use 3M blue tape to mask, or you can spray it all then polish/scrape. I chose a hybrid approach of blue tape and scraping for perfection.

8. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    didn't read the whole article, but one way to cover ridges for painting is to coat them with vaseline.

9. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Wouldn't powder coating provide the best long term results? Wouldn't be too expensive I'd think to do that, maybe $100 or less? Just a thought.

Jeff

10. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I still haven't seen anyone comment on the silver wrinkle coat on the rest of the plenum and the throttle body. Has anyone put this coat back on the parts before applying the red color coat to the top section of the plenum? Or have most people just left the rest bare aluminum and just put the red back on?

11. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
  12. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    #12 doug328, Jan 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thats what I had done to mine during the last major service. Had the shop do it as I didn't want to mess with the little washers, ect. has held up perfectly for the last 22 months. Still looks new.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login