Giovanni's replacement--ideas... | FerrariChat

Giovanni's replacement--ideas...

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by atlantaman, Dec 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Last week when we met at Appleby's since Giovanni's was closed, we discussed looking for a new location. I know there is some discussion in another thread here on this but I thought I would post something for alternate location suggestions...

Obviously everyone wants a location that has a deck/ patio and safe parking. Does it have to be an Italian place?

Somewhere near or close to 285 would be helpful --

Dunwoody Village area? VA Highlands? Buckhead? Marietta?

Obviously it it not my decision here ( thankfully ) but I just wanted to open the floor here for recommendations.

2. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    Mmmm. I didnt think of the deck/patio. Neither Italian place in Dunwoody has one though they both have ample safe parking. I can't think of any Italian joints around here that have a patio. I guess a deck would be highly desirable.

3. Alex_Grim

Alex_Grim Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I think it would be good to ask the owner or manager, just so they know. No matter where we go. How about a Felinni's? Some of them have the big deck and a big parking lot.

4. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    My two cents:

1.) Good parking in front of restaurant.
    2.) Patio that overlooks the parking. This is important.
    3.) No valet stuff!
    4.) Try to stay out of Buckhead/VA-Highlands.
    5.) Italian over most others.
    6.) Nothing too fancy.
    7.) Open Sat or Sunday around 3:00 PM.

Giovannis was pretty decent. I know a long drive for some-but right now it still could work if we talked too new owners and they where up for it.

Other option is Kurts German restaurant. Not perfect, either-but still it could work.

5. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    I could see Fellinis working.

6. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Now my 2 cents, and to almost directly quote Brian:

*) not too far north of the Perimeter

1.) Good parking with view of cars
    2.) Patio that overlooks the parking. This is VERY important.
    3.) No valet stuff!
    4.) Try to stay out of Buckhead/VA-Highlands.
    5.) Nothing too fancy.
    6.) Open Sat or Sunday around 3:00 PM.
    7.) Italian over most others, but any thay meet the above requirements is good.

Oh and within 50 miles of Conyers! Ha!

7. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I went by Dunwoody village and all there is left there is a Mellow Mushroom with little parking.

TJ's on Holcomb Bridge has a big deck

Papadeaux on Mancell Rd is a good location with a big deck too

most places bear Perimiter mall are too crowded and a bit dangerous in my opinion to leave 20 ferraris in the open.

What about Vinings?

8. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    The Fellini's on Roswell Road and Wieuca Road has both a deck and a large parking lot. I've seen exotic cars there from time to time.

9. mwhitesell

mwhitesell Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    How about Hooters in Roswell. They are very "friendly" to cars and owners, and have a pretty good sized lot which they will block off.

10. Brian Skeoch

Brian Skeoch Formula Junior

May 26, 2005
    Hooters is too rednick ish.

11. mwhitesell

mwhitesell Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    An italian place in a strip mall in the middle of nowhere is not exactly fine dining. Most people never eat at these events anyway. You could always have the event where they do the cobb thing. In a parking lot. I think we should keep it to just Ferrari's as well. We could go to a new place every month instead of making people drive to the same place.
    Our group of 6 Ferraris goes to a different place every month or so around the Sandy Springs area. If someone wants to be a part of this, PM me. The rednecks with Ferraris can come too....

12. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    Ferraris only . . . . where have I heard that before?

13. Brian Skeoch

May 26, 2005
  14. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    OK--lets stick to the topic here----there is more to this than just Ferraris

Now for Hooters--I would love it but there are a lot of women that will not go there--dont ask me why....

Kurtz and Giovannis are both Wayyyyyy out in the suburbs---

Is there anything on 141 down near Stoney River? Garrison's has a patio on roof overlooking parking lot.

Oasis comes to mind---hmmmmmm---dang--no outside patio, only inside runway.

It's been a while since I was at TJ's on Holcomb Bridge but I'll go take a peek at it today and maybe snap a pic to post..

15. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
    Aren't most of the die hard supporters WAYYYYYY out in the suburbs??!!!

16. Brian Skeoch

May 26, 2005
    I like Giovanni's. great local, great parking area, and great food. Maybe, they will rebound with new management ? I hear that our pal Vinny from Giovanni's may be asked to come back to Giovanni's and steer tham back in the right direction.

Maybe by mid Jan they will be okay.

17. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    I agree. We've had some great times at Giovanni's and I think we need to give them a chance to bounce back.
    As a back-up there is another another Italian place about 5 mile further south on 141 called Sugo. It's in the St Ives strip mall (aound back). They have very good food and an excellent covered patio with generous parking. I just don't know if they would be OK with the monthly meeting but I can check with Fredrico.

http://sugorestaurant.com/

18. Brian Skeoch

May 26, 2005
    well said Rick. you make it sound as if it were an old broad .

" yeah, sure we had some good times, a couple laughs here and there. Alright, Giovanni's, we will give you one more chance "

No body gets hurt.

19. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
    We will know after Jan 1 about the Wine and Beer License. These licenses run from Jan 1 to Dec 31, so if they are getting one, I would think they would apply ASAP.

20. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
    I agree, lets hang in there and see what happens with Giovanni's !!

21. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Why "re-invent" the wheel when it isn't really broken? It's the vehicle and the destination.

JD

22. euro_exoticar

euro_exoticar Karting

Oct 5, 2007
    Gainesville GA
    Full Name:
    Justin Edward Jones
    In Suwanee right off of Peachtree Industrial. In Suwanee park. Somewhat of a patio plenty of parking
    Could be a great spot. Heck if you wanted you could bring your dog... not that anyone would have the room or anything.

Here's the sight with directions

http://www.ippolitos.net/suwaneewindwardhwy9.html

23. Back Marker

Back Marker Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2006
    South
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Going to different places seems like a way that would make it so that everyone eventually has a place near them. Subsequently, more folks may participate overall.

24. yellowjacketgto

Dec 29, 2007
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Robert M. Rittweger
    Good thinking Jeff! Well said.

25. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Just remember that I come over from the west side of town, and I'm probably not the only one.

I keep thinking of candidate places west of GA-400, but none come to mind so far. I know of a nice Italian restaurant called Coliseum on Marietta Hwy in west Roswell, and they have a patio for eating, but I don't think they have enough parking for a car gathering.

Ironically there is an Italian place called Giovanni's (!) in the Parkaire Landing shopping center in East Cobb, but I know nothing about them.